Duty Free on QM2 - having a laugh?

Griller

Hi again Salacia

We fly from Glasgow to Barbados to join The P&O ship Ventura(same design as Caribbean Princess), for a fourteen night Cruise which takes in 9 ports,Barbados, St Lucia, Dominica, Grenada, Tortola, St Martin, St Kitts, Curaçao, Bonaire.

The ship has an overnight in Barbados at the start/ end of the cruise as she embarks/disembarks over two days. P&O run a very slick fly/cruise system, you put your luggage in at the airport next time you see it is in your cabin, on arrival at Barbados Airport you leave the aircraft straight onto coaches which take you directly to the ship for check-in. Disembarkation at the end of cruise is again very smooth, we are allowed to stay on the ship and then disembarked about three hours before flight time onto coaches on the dockside and taken directly to the airport where P&O passengers have a streamlined passport control/security check which does not take long to pass through.

As to rum my own preference is for dark/black rum and in particular I enjoy "Pussers" Navy Rum (blue label)it is rather expensive to buy in the UK £25 ($39) for a 70cl 40% proof, the Red Label is £50 ($80) whereas in the Caribbean I get the blue label $12 and the red label $25. I buy one or two and keep for a special occasion. I enjoy most rums although I find the majority of the spiced varieties too sweet for my taste.

Hi again Salacia

We fly from Glasgow to Barbados to join The P&O ship Ventura(same design as Caribbean Princess), for a fourteen night Cruise which takes in 9 ports,Barbados, St Lucia, Dominica, Grenada, Tortola, St Martin, St Kitts, Curaçao, Bonaire.

The ship has an overnight in Barbados at the start/ end of the cruise as she embarks/disembarks over two days. P&O run a very slick fly/cruise system, you put your luggage in at the airport next time you see it is in your cabin, on arrival at Barbados Airport you leave the aircraft straight onto coaches which take you directly to the ship for check-in. Disembarkation at the end of cruise is again very smooth, we are allowed to stay on the ship and then disembarked about three hours before flight time onto coaches on the dockside and taken directly to the airport where P&O passengers have a streamlined passport control/security check which does not take long to pass through.

As to rum my own preference is for dark/black rum and in particular I enjoy "Pussers" Navy Rum (blue label)it is rather expensive to buy in the UK £25 ($39) for a 70cl 40% proof, the Red Label is £50 ($80) whereas in the Caribbean I get the blue label $12 and the red label $25. I buy one or two and keep for a special occasion. I enjoy most rums although I find the majority of the spiced varieties too sweet for my taste.

Sanjam, that's a nice itinerary! I've read some very favourable comments about P&O. Perhaps someday I'll get the opportunity give it a try.

And thanks for your rum recommendations. I also find the spiced rums are a bit too sweet - but I do have a bottle of Meyers Spiced Dark rum at the ready since I'm going to try making Bananas Foster during the Holidays - not that I will be able to make it as good as the maître d (or head waiter, what ever his title is) in Britannia Club on QM2 does:) Cheers, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Agreed. Always makes me smile - people scrambling to save a few quid on booze (or ciggies) but then they'll spend a fortune in the bar!

Just give it a miss for a day & you'll save more than the duty you may, or may not, be avoiding.

Erm, not buying something (in this case drinks at the bar) is not really saving money, is it ? Buying something at a cheaper price is saving money, but not buying at all isn't. I mean, you may have not spent a day's money at the bar but then you haven't had anything to drink either.

For example, today, I save £150,000 by not buying a Ferrari.