I'm confused about bringing wine...

I read about the new policy before our 8/12 sailing and was confused, too. We brought on 5 bottles of wine/champagne in Bayonne in a wheeled carry-on. No one looked inside.

However - one of the laminated cards in the stateroom states something to the effect- we regret that we can no longer allow alcoholic beverages to be brought on board... No mention of corkage fee for wine.

We told our steward we had wine and requested he keep the bottle we place in the bucket for the day chilled and refill the ice when he services the room. He informed us that even wine is no longer allowed to be brought on board. Of course, he kept our ice bucket cold throughout the cruise (tip ;) )

So- I guess you can still "smuggle" wine on-board- but I bet one day they will start checking the carryons for the "contraband".

When we returned from Jamaica and the Caymans, the ship's staff was confiscating the liquor purchases (especially the ones in the cardboard boxes with "duty free" stamped all over them.) I think if you discreetly place one in your beach bag, covered with a towel, you would not have a problem. Not to say that won't change soon. Just my observation last week.

We just got off the Sovereign and brought wine, champagne and liquor on board. We consumed in our cabin, up on deck and in the dining room. Our cabin steward was happy to keep our bottles covered in ice...we actually had 2 buckets going the whole time! The two nights we made it to the dining room, we brought wine both nights and were never charged any corkage fees. I honestly believe it depends on your waiter and staff. Ours never batted an eye! We did slide our cabin steward a $10 the second day and he was very appreciative.

I would just bring on what you want and act normal. Worst case scenario...they take it away from you...then you get it back after the cruise!

Happy Cruising!

Archived