Houston Marriott South Hobby or......

karessamom

Drury INN Hobby? any experiences with either?? we were going to stay at Drury because we liked it when we stayed at one in CO. prices are about the same Marriot has breakfast but not dinner Drury has both but Marriott looks a little nicer and further from the freeway?? Both have shuttle service to airport so we can take are rental car back on Saturday before cruise and get back to airport on Sunday day of.

Drury INN Hobby? any experiences with either?? we were going to stay at Drury because we liked it when we stayed at one in CO. prices are about the same Marriot has breakfast but not dinner Drury has both but Marriott looks a little nicer and further from the freeway?? Both have shuttle service to airport so we can take are rental car back on Saturday before cruise and get back to airport on Sunday day of.

I haven't stayed at either because I live here, not that area mind you but I am somewhat familiar. I too would pick the Drury Inn because it gets better ratings on TripAdvisor but other than that the hotels are located right across the street from each other. They are both very close to the airport which would be great if you have bought the airport transfers because you could always take the hotel shuttle back to the airport the day of your cruise.

The area has some places to eat along the freeway there but nothing really nice and this area of town is not the best so I would stay close to the hotel or take a taxi either south to the Baybrook Mall area (close to Nasa Rd.1) or into Downtown Houston.

• 3 weeks later...

we made reservations at the Double Tree across from Hobby. (that may change but for right now....) We honestly looked at serveral places and looked at the area and this seemed to look the best. it only cost us about $45 more than the drurry or Marriott and it has a shuttle of course. we are renting a car because we're coming in a few days earlier and going out to Johnson but will return car on Saturday and take the shuttle to the airport Sunday morning to grab the Carnival transfer to Galveston. unless there's another more economical way?? I haven't found it though (there are only 2 of us. )

We stayed at the Marriott Hobby last November precruise. It worked out perfect for us. We called the hotel as soon as our luggage arrived, the free shuttle arrived pretty quickly and wasn't long before we were checked in and in our room. Eating at the hotel is limited. They have a small bar/restaurant open in the evening and offer a buffet (for a fee) for breakfast. However, on the ride from the airport, the shuttle driver told us that if we wanted to go out for dinner, just call the front desk and when/if the shuttle was not on a run, they would take us to a restaurant for dinner and pick us up afterward. The list of restaurants they will take you to is very generous, all price ranges and types of food. We decided on a seafood restaurant, the driver dropped us off and said to call just before we were finished with dinner. Our room was nothing fancy but very quiet and very comfortable. The morning of the cruise, the front desk called and asked prices for both a cab or a private car to drive us to the port. We scheduled a time for pickup and everything went very smoothly. I would definitely stay here again precruise.

Just curious what were the prices quoted to you for transportation to the port (Bayport?)

How did the cab prices compare to private car? We will be staying there in a couple of weeks prior to cruise.

Also how did you get back to the airport after your cruise?

Thanks!

Just curious what were the prices quoted to you for transportation to the port (Bayport?)

How did the cab prices compare to private car? We will be staying there in a couple of weeks prior to cruise.

Also how did you get back to the airport after your cruise?

Thanks!

We ended up taking a cab from the Marriott to the ship. The cost was a little over $80 (a lot of that would depend on traffic) but the quote was about the same for the car service. I would probably use the car service next time just to compare it. We are cruising again in a couple of weeks but flying in the morning of the cruise so won't be staying in a hotel. However, I would definitely stay here again. The day of disembarkation, we had a late afternoon flight out of Hobby on Southwest so we just booked the ships transfer. It worked very smoothly and will be using the transfers both directions this next cruise.

We were in Houston a couple of weeks ago to take the Christmas cruise on the Emerald Princess out of Bayport. We flew into Houston Hobby and stayed at the Springhill Suites. They offered a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and they would also shuttle you for free to any location within 5 miles of the hotel (dining, shopping, etc.) We used this service and it worked out great.

The next day (a Sunday), based on information I had from the Bayport Cruiseport website, I called Pasadena Taxis for a quote on the fare from the Springhill Suites to the cruiseport. (The cruiseport website showed Pasadena Taxis charging the least amount for this trip -- around $50.) They did, in fact, did give us an estimate of about $50 and that's almost exactly what the fare ended up being before adding in the tip.

After the cruise, we just went out to the taxi rank outside the cruise terminal and got one of the many taxis waiting there. The taxi assigned to us just happened to be from Pasadena Taxis again. The driver gave us a choice of 3 routes based on time and distance and we ended up taking the "middle" choice which cost us around $60 pre-tip.