Internet on the Grand to Hawaii

dickinson

I just got off the Grand yesterday. The internet was (as always) pretty slow. I tend to get online either before 6am or after 8pm as it seemed faster then -- if nothing else less people were online so we were not fighting over the small bit of bandwith. I'm not sure why, but it did seem to get a bit speedier the last couple of days, perhaps people were just not getting online as much.

Yes, I was able to access the WIFI from my iPad whie in my cabin on Emerald deck just fine.

The speed and connectivity of the WiFi depends on where the ship is sailing in relation to the satellite coverage, the number of people using it at the same time and what they're using it for.

I use my iPhone to access my email and have found that early in the morning, before 7:30am, during dinner 6-8pm and late at night (after 11pm) are usually the best times to connect. If the signal is weak or times out, I open my cabin door.

I just got off the Grand yesterday. The internet was (as always) pretty slow. I tend to get online either before 6am or after 8pm as it seemed faster then -- if nothing else less people were online so we were not fighting over the small bit of bandwith. I'm not sure why' date=' but it did seem to get a bit speedier the last couple of days, perhaps people were just not getting online as much.

Yes, I was able to access the WIFI from my iPad whie in my cabin on Emerald deck just fine.[/quote']

Thanks! and you too Pam. I know I have read occasionally on here that some people felt that the wifi connection on their ship was not up to what they were used to on previous cruises. We'll be platinum on this cruise to Hawaii in Feb so we will get some internet minutes but will probably buy some too. My dh wakes up very early and likes to go online to catch up on different things. I assume around 5 am or so not too many people will be online ;)

Waimea's mom - wow, 12 cruises to Hawaii. You obviously enjoy these cruises. Good to know as the Grand gets mixed reviews. It can't be too bad or people would not return on her!

I know I have read occasionally on here that some people felt that the wifi connection on their ship was not up to what they were used to on previous cruises.

Part of the reason may be that as time marches on, more and more passengers have personal WIFI devices, from netbooks/laptops to tablets to smart phones.

Way back (in ancient times), the only Internet capable devices were the dozen or so computers in the ship's Internet Cafe and several in the crew's quarters.

Then WIFI capability was implemented and as time went on, passengers started bringing netbooks/laptops with them and Internet usage went up. This was followed by smartphones and tablets. As more and more passengers and crew want to access the Internet at the same time, the response time goes down.

Try to access at 2:30 AM. If the ship is within the area of Satellite coverage, response time will be fast.