A Very Late Review / Serenade Med Cruise October 22, 2013

paylady

I'm back to continue my review after a nine day hiatus. Brian and I are building a house in Florida and flew down to see the progress. Between our long weekend there and work, I knew I wouldn't be able to continue until now.

Dubrovnik

The pleasant surprise of our trip. First the scenery was lovely coming into port and the walled city was beautiful. We had a nice sunny day too!

We had a nice breakfast on our balcony as we cruised into Dubrovnik that morning.

20131106_768_zps17cff238.jpg

View from our balcony.

20131106_793_zpsc548d8e2.jpg

20131106_788_zps99aa6cff.jpg

We arrive! It's odd, but I never thought of Croatia as having palm trees.

20131106_802_zps23b16094.jpg

Our plan was to walk the ramparts of the walled city and we did just that. I warn you, the stairs leading up to the ramparts are steep and don't have any landings to rest as you walk up.

Here is a partial photo of the stairs leading to the top. I'm ashamed to tell you that I was huffing and puffing my way up.

20131106_888_zps2cf25f4e.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the stairs at the far end of the walled city may be a bit easier to climb. We came down those stairs at the end of our walk. The walled city and its surroundings are quite scenic. Folks live in homes all around and within the walled city.

Eureka! I made it!

20131106_813_zps35feaf33.jpg

20131106_814_zpsed0f3c01.jpg

20131106_960_zpsb0c2af3d.jpg

Here are more photos of our walk along the wall.

20131106_824_zpsa7ea3e6a.jpg

Same but a little closer

20131106_819_zps1d536025.jpg

More pretty palm trees

20131106_839_zps2b2001e2.jpg

Another of Brian's furry friends during our walk on the wall. This one appears to be a cousin of Socks.

20131106_850_zps014880f2.jpg

After we finished walking the ramparts we came down to Earth and strolled around.

20131106_1010_zps888c60b1.jpg

20131106_998_zpsa3c2afb2.jpg

20131106_869_zps627c11c8.jpg

After strolling around just a bit, I came across a Michal Negrin shop. I was glad to spend my money on some costume jewelry. I usually go for her smaller pieces and found a couple of pairs of earrings.

One of the many small streets along our walk in the walled city

20131106_873_zps294bc1e8.jpg

One last cat photo. This one was interested in Brian's camera.

20131106_878_zps8bdfcda1.jpg

We went in search of the synagogue which was down one of the many small streets along the way. We didn't have time for the Jewish part of Rome this trip and since I had never seen a European synagogue I was interested in a short visit.

20131106_1002_zpsf368a0c5.jpg

Photos weren't allowed inside. You see how well I followed the rules. Here's a photo of the ark. If you look real closely, you'll see a no camera sign on the left side of the photo.

20131106_857_zps016987e3.jpg

More photos of our walk It seems I lied. There were more cats. See the little guy behind bars in the window?

20131106_874_zps68045eec.jpg

20131106_1009_zps20164d21.jpg

20131106_996_zps74d168e6.jpg

Edited by paylady

We kept walking along until we arrived around our starting point. I was trying to remember if we could just walk to town from the port or if we took a shuttle bus. In any case, we ended up back at the pier.

20131106_899_zpsb8165a59.jpg

We returned to the ship for a bite to eat outside in the back of the Windjammer and took more photos. The outdoor dining is one very nice feature of the Radiance class. I always miss it on other RCL ships. We stayed outside for sail away from port since this was our last.

20131106_920_zps25fb23d5.jpg

During sail away. The Aida ship left first. Those lips are too cute! :p

20131106_911_zps0dd66453.jpg

Sunset at the end of a fabulous day

20131106_988_zps8186d52b.jpg

Edited by paylady

To end our cruise, we spent two glorious days at sea. We filled our days relaxing and chatting with all the wonderful folks we met onboard.

As Halloween approached, the crew really got into decorating.

20131106_903_zps90cb7dd7.jpg

20131106_902_zps97fa267e.jpg

20131106_1031_zps7668199a.jpg

While I'm posting photos, here's another interior photo.

20131106_935_zpsd69ea429.jpg

Our next Mediterranean Cruise

Our next Med cruise is planned for this year, around the same time as our 2013 cruise. I booked us on Oceania. This will be a major departure for us to cruise on a different line. The cruise will be on Riviera leaving Barcelona and ending in Civitavecchia. It is quite port intensive with no sea days. :eek: The ship ports in Marseilles, Monte Carlo, Palma de Mallorca, Portofino, La Spezia and Livorno. This itinerary provides the opportunity to visit both the Cinque Terre (La Spezia) and Florence (Livorno) plus we'll spend three nights post-cruise in Rome. We also get two new ports to visit which is an added bonus. With an itinerary such as this, we will have to pace ourselves to be sure, otherwise we'll burn out but the time we reach Rome. Palma and Portofino will probably be low key days for us with Marseilles more than likely being a wine tour day. That should keep us from self-destructing, I hope.

Here's what got me thinking of Oceania. We were at lunch in the DR one day on another cruise. I always like to ask folks about their cruising experiences and like to learn about other cruise lines. I remember asking one British couple about their favorite and they said Oceania. Now that we are closer to our early retirement (this year :D) I wanted to branch out. Maybe I will write a review on that cruise and land vacation too, you never know.

Summary

This was one of those very special cruises that ranks up there with our first cruise experience on the Sovereign of the Seas in 1989. This was our first time in the Mediterranean and we met some really wonderful people. There isn't anything I would do different than what I already mentioned. This was just one of those almost perfect vacations. It's going to be tough to beat.

Thanks for all of you who followed along. I hope you enjoyed the review.

Edited by paylady

Hi Paylady....Early Saturday morning, with my mug of java in hand, I had set out to research private tour companies for our Russian/Baltic cruise for July 2015. I also wanted to check out the condition of the Serenade and your review jumped out at me! Although, we have cruised through the E and W MED on different lines a few times, I was captivated by your wonderful pictures and pictorial that brought me back to some wonderful memories! We are also reserved in a GS in July and are just turning DIamond on this cruise. I will definitely be on the out look to see if the UPGRADE FAIRY who resides in Oregon decides to phone me. :) I loved your detailed review and look forward to hearing your thoughts regarding your time on OCeania. Thank you for taking the time to share your voyage. Happy and Safe Travels.

Pam

Hi Paylady....Early Saturday morning, with my mug of java in hand, I had set out to research private tour companies for our Russian/Baltic cruise for July 2015. I also wanted to check out the condition of the Serenade and your review jumped out at me! Although, we have cruised through the E and W MED on different lines a few times, I was captivated by your wonderful pictures and pictorial that brought me back to some wonderful memories! We are also reserved in a GS in July and are just turning DIamond on this cruise. I will definitely be on the out look to see if the UPGRADE FAIRY who resides in Oregon decides to phone me. :) I loved your detailed review and look forward to hearing your thoughts regarding your time on OCeania. Thank you for taking the time to share your voyage. Happy and Safe Travels.

Pam

Pam:

I'm glad you found this review. In our case, it seems the chance of an upgrade from a GS to an OS went by C&A status. Since the Pinnacle members with a GS had to cancel, we must have been next with our D+. There was another couple on our thread who also had a GS and were either Diamond or D+ and I'm sure they would have snapped up the upgrade just as we did. I remember talking with them about it in the lounge.

Good luck, I hope the upgrade fairy finds you and have a marvelous time on your Baltic cruise.

Edited by paylady

Great review Marla....loved the pics of our merry band of cruisers in Schooners!!

We really did have a fabulous cruise and made some great friends...thanks for bring back so many fond memories!!

Peggy and Ernie

Peggy --- Bless you for sticking with me the entire review! We'll see you and Ernie in sunny Florida after we move.

• 2 months later...