Roatan Maya Key - Monkey Interaction/general recommendations?

BabsterA

We're going to be in Roatan on the Dawn on the 1/4/15 sailing and the one thing my son wants to do is play with monkeys. We did that on his first cruise at Gumbalimba Park and the experience ranks among his most memorable excursions.

I saw the Maya Key write up and it mentions animals, but it doesn't really say if visitors can interact with monkeys. We're leaving a week from tomorrow so I thought I'd get this question out in front of the broad audience.

Has anyone been to Maya Key lately that can answer? If so, besides monkeys, do you have any general impressions you'd like to share?

You started my Saturday morning off with an out loud chuckle. Thank goodness I'd swallowed that sip of coffee!! Thanks for the giggle! I was afraid it was going to be 'check the ports' board...I rarely get responses there, and the answer is super important to my son. ColinIllinois, you are a gem...but don't give up your day job. :-)

I know this board is the repository of all information, but if you don't get your answer here, you might just google something like Roatan monkey interaction. I did and found a review of Gumbalimba Park on Trip Advisor. Don't know if the ship offers it ( Princess apparently does ) or if you can book independently, but it does describe a very high degree of interaction with the wild monkeys. In other words, they will be all over you.

The website for Maya Key lists monkeys under the category of "see" along with big cats and exotic birds, and "interaction" for only sting rays, sharks and sea lions, so my guess is that there is very little or no touching of the monkeys.

Thanks, punkincc! That's what I needed! Interacting with the monkeys is what's important to my son - I've injured my knee so am not up to long walks. I may send the kids to the Gumbalimba/tabayan excursion, and just do Tabayan myself for some quiet beach time. We can meet up with each other after they get thie monkey time. :)

We will actually be on your sailing with our 3 and 4 year old. I ended up booking an excursion through Island Marketing called Wild On Roatan Wildlife Tour. It is going to take us to see the monkeys, plus some other animals and the beach. The price was reasonable as well.

Not sure what you are looking for when you say playing with monkeys but we came off the Dawn 2 weeks ago and you can be adventurous and try to go to the baboon sanctuary in Belize. It is a 30-40 minute ride outside of the port to a small shack set up. A wonderful guide will take you into the forest area where you will try to find howler monkey's who tend to hang out in certain areas. While a bit of a hit or miss likelihood- it seems it is almost always a hit. You do not touch or play with the monkeys but we were within a foot or two of the howlers. Bring bug spray if you go. As unique an attraction as imaginable. Can't upload my pictures as the files are to large but I can send you some looks if you give me an email

Thanks, everyone! We've decided that the kids are going to Gumbalimba and we'll meet up at the beach - the best of both worlds! So glad to get your input! I'm hoping the sun and salt water will miraculously repair my bum knee! (big Smile). Maybe a Painkiller on the beach?