Just got back from the Quantum Holiday Cruise

Bmulder1

Just a short comment here since I just got home and have a million things on my plate, but had to interject. Count me in as in the group that was highly dissatisfied with our sailing for many of the reasons already listed above. Although I tried to maintain a positive attitude despite the many issues, I finally lost it on disembarkation day when there was no hot water for my shower to get ready to leave. That was the last straw. Great concepts. Terrible execution. Even something as basic as hot water not being available for showers was something I was not prepared for. After speaking with the steward, this is apparently a common occurrence.

My DW and myself will be on the Quantum departing January 11. We are sailing with another couple. I have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer.

1) I have read several negative reviews about the soda machines running out of soda before the cruise ended. Did any of you experience this and, if so, did RCCL rectify the problem to your satisfaction? I wanted to purchase a non-alcoholic package but am hesitant if this is the case.

2) I am disabled and require the use of a mobility scooter to get around. Did any of you experience or see any problems that I might encounter, especially in the restaurants or the shows?

3) Although not a fan of dynamic dining (much prefer traditional), I am willing to give it a try. Are there other restaurants where one can get a burger, pizza, sushi, etc. in the event everything is 'screwed up' once we board? We have made online reservations for the restaurants and shows but anything could happen once we board.

Thanks for any responses.

Tom

I had some issues on finding a soda machine with all the soda available in the windjammer. I just went on the other side where there was another machine which had all soda loaded.

Very impressive list indeed George in NY. This was only our 5th cruise. But after being on the Allure in February with a record number of people (Captain made that announcement) I do have something to compare to. We had no long lines, great service and really enjoyed that cruise. This time we were simply not WOWed as RCCL promised they would do. In the end I agree with George. They are understaffed which comes directly from Corporate Headquarters. I really don't blame the staff onboard. Many tried their best and the ones that didn't seemed either overtired or had given up.

Keep in mind that RCCL has been in business for 45 years and this is not their first launch of a new ship. They should have this down to an art. After 8 weeks of bad reviews they should have added more staff already. Maybe they could have taken some of their excessive marketing budget and move it to the 'personnel' column.

BMulder,

Your comparison is more valid than any I can make actually since you have sailed Allure which is larger and higher capacity ship. So that means either it is totally design or understaffing, or both. I believe both and certainly agree that the staff themselves are not at fault.

Talking to staff many are not transiting to China with the ship. A percentage are for training purposes but the ship itself will be getting staffed by staff from ships already in China, believe there are 3 or 4 there now. Many of the areas of the ship will also be changed to make them comparable with Chinese clientele. Makes you wonder if that entered into a decision to short staff ship. I don't believe that is the case, I believe this is simply an experiment or worse just a plan to continue to run ships using less and less staff. After all we have seen the trend for years on most lines to do that eliminating wine stewards, then bar waiters in MDR and now assistants, all while charging more in every area.

MONETIZE and MINIMIZE is the watchword. Anytime dining sold as a convenience to passengers is really just a way to utilize less dining staff. Dynamic Dining is just an expansion of that making it THEIR time dining. Since dining staff are also used elsewhere during the day that in fact short staffs many areas. All business does that to excess now but it shows more in an industry that touts itself as a service industry, and a luxury one at that.

They designed this ship to run with less staff by incorporating more technology. Then they reduced consumption in every area possible from water use to electric generation. Okay I didn't need a chocolate on my bed to make a good cruise, but you know what it was nice. We used to save them and then place them once in a while on our own pillows to remember cruising and that another cruise would be coming soon. I am sure that eliminating that minor luxury saved them a lot of money. But every time you eliminate those little things you diminish a products desirability.

Once I used to buy only SONY TV's in example. Were great TV's but it was the warranty and repair, customer service system that was what made the real difference. Same can be said of Sears, if they sold it they had the part for it. When that disappeared it no longer mattered what the brand name or which store. And there answer to that is consolidate so no matter where you go they still get your business. There are three main players in the cruise industry which own for most part every line. Carnival Corporation, RCL, and Asian Star. There is a reason for that.

George in NY

I'd be curious to know what is Quantum's ratio of staff vs Pax and how it compares to other ships in the fleet.

I've been on both the Oasis and Allure and never experienced any staff shortage throughout the ship(s), except at customer's service desk--what else is new, always lines there. LOL

nelblu, That is an excellent comparison suggestion. I would find that very interesting but don't know offhand if anyone has compiled such information.

Back in the day used to be done for amount of money per passenger spent on food for each line. As the amounts diminished so did the quality of the food.

Anyone out there know if any comparison by staffing data is available?

I think replacing bartenders with robots is plan someday and in the Vintage wine bar you buy your wine by vending machine by the ounce. I am no wine connoisseur but that has to diminish the experience I would think for those that are. You can make the surrounding area as pretty as you want but reality is that you are selling wine from vending machines. As they are want to do obviously with soda.

George in NY

I see you may sail the Pride, that was our least favorite ship.

DPurcell58,

We certainly through the years have had favorite ships and lines. Until the disaster dining Quantum never sailed a ship that we said we would never sail again. But certainly some we would prefer not to sail as much. Yet every ship, until the Quantum, offered us something that made up for any deficiency a particular ship or line might have for us.

The Pride ss a bit older smaller glitzy whatever than many ships we sail. BUT has the GREATEST suite on the sea in our opinion. This is not only the best buy also inexpensive by suite standards. I hate myself for even revealing this since it is harder and harder every year to book it. But sooner or later they will either modify to monetize or simply get rid of ship to replace with one that monetizes better. That is VS suites on the MAIN deck 4237 and its opposite side duplicate. These are multi room suites totally aft with a baloney deck superior to any I have ever seen. A wrap around that easily holds 15 people in comfort. The higher decks have VS but each deck loses space of cabin and balcony. Has walk in closet, cosmetic are wife loves, large bathroom with double sink and tub but the balcony, only Miracle and Pride have it only on Main Deck. Even wall to ceiling windows in bedroom side and back.

This is a video of the exact same suite on the Miracle. As an added feature you even get to see my great looking legs and my lovely bride.

We prefer to sail Pride for this suite only in that Miracle has the most garish purple grape theme designed MDR. The Prides is actually light and airy motif .

Couple that with sailing out to Baltimore which we also love, short 4.5 hr drive, easiest embarkation driving in bar none. Those two things make this sailing one of our favorites. Actually also the the food better on carnival and bar service can't be beat. There are things we love about every line and ship as I said. The Diamond and Concierge lounges on RCL is what motivates us towards them. The atrium lobby with coffee bar and mini shows, the dining staff and ship designs motivates us for Princess. The level of service on Celebrity and so on. We still miss the Zenith horribly. Plan to re-sail the Summit sooner rather than later.

You can see that our level of formality and service can be modified depending on line and ship for various reasons. There is little formal on the Pride and shorts in dining room not hard to find. Yet there was nothing that we found to motivate us ever sailing the DD concept or the Quantum in it's current form. I speak only for us, everyone has different desires and needs.

George in NY

Edited by Georgeny

Thanks to all who commented on here about their experiences on Quantum. It's discouraging to read that some of the problems still exist. I have read that there are additional staff members now but not sure how accurate that can be. Where will these new crew members sleep?:confused:

It also appears that many passengers show up way early or late from their dinner reservation time and are being seated. I find this totally unfair and most likely the cause of some of the issues with this whole new concept.

I really hope things improve... my final payment for Quantum is less than a month away.

In Chic I think it was I ordered a rib eye steak. I received a prime rib. When I questioned the waitress she smiled and said they had suggested that they change the menu to say prime rib since everyone asked. The Chef just gave them a history lesson on what a rib eye steak was.

For the record, I enjoyed most of our dining experiences on Quantum, including Chic, but I had the same reaction to the rib eye that you did. :) I thought it was a nice piece of prime rib. I did just now look back at the menu and it's called a "Roasted Beef Rib Eye." Unsure of the difference.

You're right I am one of those people. Stupid me I expect a product that's advertises it's self as a service oriented one to have service. I even expect things I buy at home to actually work, to be of quality materials, to have company stand behind what to sells, all that stupid stuff. I expect value for a buck, I know I am just an ignorant old guy. If I pay extra maybe they will let me cook my own food too, oh wait they do have a program like that on some ships for extra bucks. Please give me more lemons so I can make lemonade and pee my money away :)

I must be getting old because the other 63 cruises, many of which I reviewed here and can still be found here rated the ships far better this this monetized ship. And suddenly here I am a whiner.

Never had a bad cruise including this one, but it came close!

Pay more for less, the new American way.

Ditto that.

I am sorry that there are still so many issues and new rules that are proving to be unfavorable time and time again since the inaugural sailing.

We are sailing at the end of February, and it seems that we are just going to have to brace ourselves and go with the flow. We've booked our restaurants, and shows...but it seems that that doesn't ensure we are all set. I hope things will work out and I have a healthy, patient attitude and enjoy the 9 days of vacation.

Thank you for all of your honest assessments and sharing your experiences. It is helpful.

I am sorry that there are still so many issues and new rules that are proving to be unfavorable time and time again since the inaugural sailing.

We are sailing at the end of February, and it seems that we are just going to have to brace ourselves and go with the flow. We've booked our restaurants, and shows...but it seems that that doesn't ensure we are all set. I hope things will work out and I have a healthy, patient attitude and enjoy the 9 days of vacation.

Thank you for all of your honest assessments and sharing your experiences. It is helpful.

FWIW, I didn't have any problems on Quantum. Night one in Chops was the slowest meal of all. The Grande started slow and got better, and from there on, it was fine. I was on the 12/1 cruise. We did all the comp restaurants except Silk once. We did Silk twice. 2X at Wonderland, 1X Izumi, 1X Jamie's. Silk was our favorite comp restaurant, Wonderland favorite surcharge restaurant. Jamie's was great too.

Thanks to all who commented on here about their experiences on Quantum. It's discouraging to read that some of the problems still exist. I have read that there are additional staff members now but not sure how accurate that can be. Where will these new crew members sleep?:confused:

It also appears that many passengers show up way early or late from their dinner reservation time and are being seated. I find this totally unfair and most likely the cause of some of the issues with this whole new concept.

I really hope things improve... my final payment for Quantum is less than a month away.

Well I certainly hope you never have to row 2 ship :) I think you point out another flaw in the thinking about reservation systems on cruise ships when you note that many show up early or late. I say of course they do! How could it almost be any other way.

When I first heard that we had to reserve online prior to cruise my first thought, how the heck do I know what we will be doing at any given time? Why do we even want to know what we will be doing at any given time? I don't know what time my wife is going to be able to get her favorite Iothermy thing or when they will have a discounted time frame on a massage. I don't know if one of us will be caught up in some activity and be delayed getting back to shower for dinner. We got into Nassau early afternoon, figure off the ship by around 2 will I be back by 7? Of course what most do make late 8:30 dinner just in case. Then get back at 7 and decide dinner would be better early let's try. Then overbooked for 8:30 they let you in hoping to ease the 8:30 rush, so on and so forth.

Can happen with traditional dining but doesn't matter my chair is there at my time. I know where I have to be and when as far as dining is.

This was just designed to force extra pay dining upon the masses.

I was never a fan of AnyTime dining but with exception of NCL the lines for most part all implemented it while maintaining Traditional Dining as well. There was a definite lowering of staff levels in dining to do that but at least was a acceptable alternative for most. You could choose your poison. Add in extra pay restaurant and three options fine. But then they decided we don't customer choice we want OUR TIME and monetized dining, and here you have it.

George in NY

Please keep in mind that many of those who disliked Dynamic Dining disliked it (and many were very vocal) before they ever took their cruise. These folks are continuing to voice their desire to do away with Dynamic Dining. Some of these are on a mission to ensure that Dynamic Dining does NOT spread to the rest of the fleet.

Please also keep in mind that there are folks who enjoyed all aspects of the Quantum (including Dynamic Dining) and are returning to cruise on her again before she sails to China.

We sailed with 3 other couples who enjoyed Dynamic Dining. Of the 4 couples, we are the only ones who post on Cruise Critic.

Please also keep in mind that corporate Royal Caribbean is NOT stupid. They will make adjustments and probably will have them in place by the time you sail.

If you board with a positive attitude (which you appear to have) you will probably enjoy the Quantum.

On the other hand, the "Negative Nellies" boarded with their negative mindset that sealed their fate.

Please keep in mind that many of those who disliked Dynamic Dining disliked it (and many were very vocal) before they ever took their cruise. These folks are continuing to voice their desire to do away with Dynamic Dining. Some of these are on a mission to ensure that Dynamic Dining does NOT spread to the rest of the fleet.

Please also keep in mind that there are folks who enjoyed all aspects of the Quantum (including Dynamic Dining) and are returning to cruise on her again before she sails to China.

We sailed with 3 other couples who enjoyed Dynamic Dining. Of the 4 couples, we are the only ones who post on Cruise Critic.

Please also keep in mind that corporate Royal Caribbean is NOT stupid. They will make adjustments and probably will have them in place by the time you sail.

If you board with a positive attitude (which you appear to have) you will probably enjoy the Quantum.

On the other hand, the "Negative Nellies" boarded with their negative mindset that sealed their fate.

I mean, they've been so quick to bring their website up to a state-of-the-art condition! :D. Sarcasm aside, I do hope they get everything sorted soon.

snipped -

Honestly our attitude didn't create the lines, didn't make things fail to function as advertised, didn't lose paid reservations etc.

Perhaps the " positive pinnacles pharaohs " boarded really believing they are part of the RCL " family, " and can never imagine must less see a poor design and introduction?

George in NY

Although I haven't read all posts regarding people's opinions on the Quantum, it appears that you are one of the very few who posted a positive review of this ship. I am one in the group of people who was highly dissatisfied with our sailing. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I do not appreciate you making the generalization that people who boarded with a "negative mindset sealed their fate". I did no such thing and tried to keep a positive attitude throughout our sailing. Unfortunately, too many issues made this sailing unacceptable and compared to our previous experiences, many of which were on ships during their inaugural years, the service and execution of the new policies were unbearable on the Quantum. If you liked the ship, fine. But please do not assume that people who had not the same opinion as you were "Negative Nellies". If you read some of the reviews that I have, it is clear that most were excited to board and tried to make the best of it. However, the countless issues from check in to the time we disembarked made this ship not ready for prime time for me. I thought that by the Christmas sailing, RCL would have had its act together. IMHO it will be quite a while before the problems on Quantum will be solved.

Edited by kiyoko

Honestly our attitude didn't create the lines, didn't make things fail to function as advertised, didn't lose paid reservations etc.

George in NY

Totally agree! And I also didn't wish for no hot water for my disembarkation shower.

Edited by kiyoko

Thank you everyone for your reviews and opinions.

We're booked for the 12 day in April and we know this will be a full ship since it's pretty much sold-out with remaining categories very high priced. I hope the service will improve by the time of our cruise.

So far I'm not happy about making reservations at the restaurants and shows and still wait on lines. Plus, the show schedule has not been offered yet for our cruise so we may need to change our dining anyway.

BTW, we cruised NCL Breakaway a month ago and we weren't happy with the crowds, lines, and reduced staff which we have not experienced on any NCL ship prior. I figure RCI would be better organized ... we shall see.

Perhaps the " positive pinnacles pharaohs " boarded really believing they are part of the RCL " family, " and can never imagine must less see a poor design and introduction?

George in NY

Very well said indeed...I actually was open to the concept beforehand and thought the many different restaurants may be a great way to experience something different each night. NOT...Maybe the "Positive Nellies" were either lucky or blind to the long lines, lost reservations and extreme long dinner experiences. What I don't understand is that us "Negative Nellies" apparently are not allowed to have a negative opinion. But one should ask only one question. If people really liked it so much, then why is RC "postponing" the rollout of DD on the Allure and Oasis?...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/01/02/royal-caribbean-dynamic-dining/21181665/

Well said. I agree with everything you said, even though we have had a couple of issues with our dining reservations. We are looking to have a great time like always. Never let the little things get to you (or the big ones either)

Well said. I agree with everything you said, even though we have had a couple of issues with our dining reservations. We are looking to have a great time like always. Never let the little things get to you (or the big ones either)

Hopefully, the many issues that we and others had will be solved by the time you board. If not, it will be interesting to hear how you felt about the ship once you get off. It must be wonderful to be able to go through life and not let big things get to you. I wish I could be like that. Usually, I try and let the little things go. But when it becomes a series of screwups it becomes very trying for me.

Edited by kiyoko

Well I certainly hope you never have to row 2 ship :) I think you point out another flaw in the thinking about reservation systems on cruise ships when you note that many show up early or late. I say of course they do! How could it almost be any other way.

When I first heard that we had to reserve online prior to cruise my first thought, how the heck do I know what we will be doing at any given time? Why do we even want to know what we will be doing at any given time? I don't know what time my wife is going to be able to get her favorite Iothermy thing or when they will have a discounted time frame on a massage. I don't know if one of us will be caught up in some activity and be delayed getting back to shower for dinner. We got into Nassau early afternoon, figure off the ship by around 2 will I be back by 7? Of course what most do make late 8:30 dinner just in case. Then get back at 7 and decide dinner would be better early let's try. Then overbooked for 8:30 they let you in hoping to ease the 8:30 rush, so on and so forth.

Can happen with traditional dining but doesn't matter my chair is there at my time. I know where I have to be and when as far as dining is.

This was just designed to force extra pay dining upon the masses.

I was never a fan of AnyTime dining but with exception of NCL the lines for most part all implemented it while maintaining Traditional Dining as well. There was a definite lowering of staff levels in dining to do that but at least was a acceptable alternative for most. You could choose your poison. Add in extra pay restaurant and three options fine. But then they decided we don't customer choice we want OUR TIME and monetized dining, and here you have it.

George in NY

The passengers who do this should be prepared to be told to come back at their reservation time or go elsewhere. Unfortunately, most times staff end up accomadating these inconsiderate people that are causing part of the chaos. If someone with traditional dining has late seating and they feel like going early, well their options will be going elsewhere....buffet or specialty restaurants. If you have reservations with DD it should be no different.

I have to say I was fairly confident that any DD issues would have been resolved by now. I do feel the majority of the issues are happening at later times... after 7:00pm. I have reservations at 6:45 and 7:00 for my week, so hopefully my experience will be a great one.:)

The passengers who do this should be prepared to be told to come back at their reservation time or go elsewhere. Unfortunately, most times staff end up accomadating these inconsiderate people that are causing part of the chaos. If someone with traditional dining has late seating and they feel like going early, well their options will be going elsewhere....buffet or specialty restaurants. If you have reservations with DD it should be no different.

I have to say I was fairly confident that any DD issues would have been resolved by now. I do feel the majority of the issues are happening at later times... after 7:00pm. I have reservations at 6:45 and 7:00 for my week, so hopefully my experience will be a great one.:)

Roe, couple problems here. What passengers should do, yes and we should have world peace too but human nature is human nature. Matters not what a proper etiquette should be since won't happen anymore than chair hogs will give up at the pool.

The real problem is that you replace two tier system, half eat early, half eat late, with a system that which says eat when you wish. Sounds good! BUT, and a big BUT, take one MDR which seats 2400 and carve it into 8 dining rooms that seat say 2800 total. You design this believing that people will eat at all different hours thereby allowing you to still feed 4800 with reduced space and reduced staff. Then human nature kicks in. Upon occasion most people want to go to a particular show and 4800 want to eat at 7pm. ( previously shows also handled same way split pass to shows seating enough for half NO MORE ) The system is built with flaws it doesn't account for reality.

I don't know what the actual seating number is for new restaurants but know less than standard main dining.

RCL Chiefs have done what politicians do. If you do math and it doesn't work simply use NEW math. If budget is short simply PRESUME that people will buy more next year and tax revenue will increase by whatever you need to balance the budget. Then viola, works on paper.

George in NY

Restaurant (Capacity):

•*American Icon Grill (430)

• Chic (434)

•*Silk (434)

• The Grande (432)

Total capacity is 1,730. That is lower than the capacity for the main dining rooms on Voyager Class ships.

Okay I am not to off because I am also including pay restaurants. These numbers force you into those more or less. Bottom line far less capacity relies on an assumption that diverse timing and large use of buffet. Now I know what I learned in life about assuming. To assume makes an a.. of U and Me. Both the seating limitations an the same menu concept were created to force extra pay dining, less staff requirements. They can spin it anyway they want but they are screwing guests and staff alike. Exactly what NCL before went bankrupt and Chinese scooped it up.

NCL has a pretty non service product but at least they pretty much give it away around here anyway.

Barnacle Thank You for the information!

George in NY

Edited by Georgeny