2 nights pre cruise in Miami with 10 yo DS

knitdiva

Will be going on a mother and son cruise out of Miami at the end of February. I have researched the boards, some hotel review sites. There are so many options! My son wanted to go back to the Marriott Biscayne Bay as that is where we stayed pre-cruise last year. That was fine but it was a one night stay and we got there at 10pm. With arriving 2 days before the cruise, he might find it boring. Not to mention the rate for that hotel for our dates is more than 400$ a night.

Free wifi and a pool are a must per his request.

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

End of Feb will be pricey all over South FLA - $400 is not the highest rate I have seen. :( With a 10-year old I would look at Miami Beach - lots of dining options and of course a world famous beach.

Flying into MIA or FLL? :confused: The FLL area may be slightly cheaper and is generally more family friendly. http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and lodging info.

From MIA to South Beach a taxi will run about $32+tip - if you choose a hotel farther north your cab fare will rise. :( You could take the Airport Flyer Bus to SB for about $2.65 each, but I am not sure I would ride it after dark.

Since you are arriving late you might save $$ by staying near the airport - several good hotels in the Blue Lagoon area near MIA with free airport shuttles (Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, etc.) and then use the Airport Flyer Bus to visit Miami Beach on your full pre-cruise day.

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/bus-airport-flyer.asp

I don't know what your budget is but both the Loews and the Ritz Carlton have amazing kids programs. The RC specializes in them.

I was at the RC in Fort Lauderdale the other day and they had two counselors and tons of activities going on.