Oceania Expensive internet cost

gasboy

In May Riviera Lima to New York required using the ship high cost internet due to non existent on shore connections.

Jan 24 we are doing a Caribbean cruise and would like to know how available is internet connecting on these islands.

Just returned from the Eastern Caribbean and located internet hotspots on several islands. These are places that cater to locals who don't own computers. $3.00 buys 30 minutes of very fast internet. Look for signs that say "Fax, Internet, Copying". Cafes nearly always have internet too, but it's usually deathly slow - even worse than the ship.

1. If you spot crew members carrying a laptop off the ship, follow them. They know where all the good, free internet is located.

2. My experience with places like McDonalds and many others which offer free internet is that hookups are often possible while sitting outside. Most of the time, no codes are needed.

3. Try public libraries, government buildings and such. Many times they have open internet connections.

If you have a smart phone or tablet that's easy to carry, set it to automatically scan for connections. They're easier to check than an unwieldy laptop. The connections will be listed as open or secured. Try the open ones. I've found them in very surprising places, often without going inside. I've even gotten a connection to shore-based internet while sitting on my balcony on the ship. if the balcony is on the land side. I've found connections by walking down a street with the smart phone scanning.

If all else fails, sign up for the daily plan on the ship; usually $21 to $25/day, a heck of a lot cheaper than the pay-by-minute plans, even though you have to buy it for every day of the cruise. If you think internet on the ship is slow or expensive now, you should have tried it a few years ago. It's an order of magnitude better, now.

1. If you spot crew members carrying a laptop off the ship, follow them. They know where all the good, free internet is located.

Excellent advice for the Caribbean islands. We've seen groups of crew members sitting somewhere close to the pier with their laptops.

hondorner,

In Australia, public libraries, McDo, and the Sydney ferries were the best spots. In Auckland, the public busses had free internet connections.

Almost all the better jewelry stores have their own, locked wifi. If you are planning on some shopping, you can ask the salesperson to punch in the password on your smartphone and when you are done shopping, stand outside the store, or off in a corner if it is a large store and use the connection.