New to Princess

Jadolphsen

My hubby and I took our very first cruise on NCL in Dec and it was very disappointing. It completely turned DH off to cruising. I'm trying to find out if Princess is solo cruiser friendly or if I need to find a travel buddy? Any input would be greatly appreciated! ☺️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My hubby and I took our very first cruise on NCL in Dec and it was very disappointing. It completely turned DH off to cruising. I'm trying to find out if Princess is solo cruiser friendly or if I need to find a travel buddy? Any input would be greatly appreciated! ☺️
I've cruised solo in a cabin for years, including quite long cruises. I join the roll call, join private tours others on the roll call are arranging, join activities on the ship, and book Traditional dining. The latter is a personal preference because I'd rather get to know a few people better than do Anytime dining where I'll probably not see the people again and there's a new group every night. In the buffet, I ask to join large tables or if I'm sitting alone and people are wandering around looking for a table, encourage them to join me.

If Princess has a book club scheduled for your cruise, read the book and join the discussion. There's usually a "needle arts" get-together scheduled on sea days. Join a trivia team. Sometimes, I find myself talking to people as we wait in the theater for the show or movie to start. I'm a reader and always have my Kindle with me so I can entertain myself quite well. I'm not particularly outgoing but I make an effort to talk to people and I've found that even a small effort enhances my cruise experience. The only time I've felt alone has been a few times when I've gone to have a pre-dinner drink.

Edited by Pam in CA

I've cruised princess for many years and since my mom passed away a few years ago I've cruised solo occasionally. In my opinion princess is great for solo travelers because of the warm friendly style of service. Fellow passengers also tend to be socialable and welcoming to solos. In contrast the more staid service style on cunard is not as great for solos (but they offer solo fares ways more often than princess). Passengers on cunard are not as friendly or willing to engage. I think you will enjoy yourself. Maybe you should try to get hubby to come with you. Princess is totally different experience from Norwegian.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I travel with my hubby and teen, but on the last cruise, I often went off on my own to play trivia, take hula classes (this was a Hawaiian cruise), and eat lunch on my own if I didn't find my hubby (who was often going to the gym or play his guitar in a quiet little area).

Maybe if you can tell us what bothered your husband, we might be able to assure him that Princess is a major step up from NCL.

It was many little things but mostly guest services and how they dealt with our issues. We were moved from a handicap accessible cabin to a regular balcony cabin with no communication and my hubby has cerebral palsy. He needs his electric wheelchair. They admitted it was their fault but since the ship was at max capacity kept telling us that there was nothing they could do. All we asked for was the difference in what we paid for the hc cabin and the less expensive balcony. They still refused. Then during rough seas DH fell and got hurt in the bathroom because there were no handrails, and we informed them of the incident and again heard, there is nothing we can do for you.

That was the worst treatment we have ever had anywhere.

NCL, Getaway specifically, is not handicap accessible. I went to try the ropes course and play mini golf and my hubby could not come with me. Their elevators don't go that high. He was not happy, neither was I.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Jadolphsen

Hi, I see you've posted on the Disabled Cruise Travel board before with a question -- which lines are better/best would surely be another question for there.

There is one NCL ship (I think it's the Epic) that has special solo rooms, but I'm not sure you want to give them any more business after your experience!

There is another forum on CC -- for Solo Cruisers -- That would be a place for your OP question!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

Good luck!