What to do???

bdavis932

In June of 2013 I went on a 7 day cruise out of Boston on the Carnival Glory to Canada (Portland, Saint John, Halifax, Sydney). After booking, my husband wasn't able to join us (work) so for the past 18 months I've been wanting to go back and show him how beautiful it is up there (and have some more lobster, lol!!!)

I was really excited a couple days ago to see NCL has posted their 2016 schedule (we are going to Disney twice in 2015 so we won't be able to cruise in 2015). The price for this cruise is about $300 more per person then our 2013 cruise. I knew that they would be higher since rates summer of 2015 are in the $900 range! 2016 is about $695 per person for an inside stateroom, 6 day cruise (this one doesn't stop in Sydney). I think this rate increase vs. 2013 is due to the new fuel requirements of the North American Emission Control Area.

Pushing the pencil tonight flying from Texas to New York will cost us about $300 per person. The cruise about $3400. Hotel and transfers for 1 night in NYC about $350. We really wanted to spend 4 nights in NYC but with the rate of the cruise being so much higher than 2013 we just cannot swing it.

Now I'm questioning so many things. Should I wait on Carnival's schedule and see if they have something more reasonable? They won't be releasing their schedule until April - I thinking waiting that long I could be taking a risk that NCL's rates go up. With rates the way they are right now, we are looking at a TOTAL out of pocket of $5100 for 6 day cruise - 4 people - inside stateroom. Based on my past cruises, that seems really steep to me, even if I'm not comparing it to my prices from 2 years ago out of Boston when we paid about $3400 and that included spending 4 days in Boston.

We have also talked about going to Key West & the Bahamas - which we could do for approx $3200 out of Galveston Texas - and we wouldn't have any travel expenses except for a tank of gas and parking. I'm just really concerned if we went this route of things to do in Nassau and Freeport. My husband and son would scuba dive there, but my daughter and I like to sight see. Is that possible to do on our own in either of those ports or would we need to purchase an excursion?? i will also post this question over in that forum.

We can only cruise in June of each year due to school and work schedules.

What are y'alls thoughts? Do you think prices to Canada will go up? This is the cruise we REALLY want to do. Do you think Carnival will offer any summer cruises to Canada out of NYC next year?

Based on this Cruise Critic article - I'm not sure: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5406. Any thoughts would be appreciated. :confused:

Edited by bdavis932

I think you're waay early to be panicking about booking for 2016, as lots of companies have yet to publish their itineraries. Of course, you could always book with the option of canceling later if you see something better/cheaper, but that could exclude you from some NCL deals so something to consider.

There are deals to be had closer in to departure (I usually book a couple of months out), but your ability to take advantage of these does depend on your flexibility on dates. I agree about checking out HAL, as they have some great deals in May and early June, but of course that would be out of Boston.

Carnival cut back their Canada cruises last year, probably the reason you sited.

Our 4 day one port of call trip to Canada changed to Bermuda because of Hurricane Arthur and during the ask the crew event the cost of change of port of call came up. The ship (Splendor) bunkered the more expensive fuel and had to burn it to Bermuda even after exiting the zone.

In Bermuda they did take on more cheaper fuel for the trip back.

Of course the cost was not passed on to guests we even got a $6 or $7 credit for some tax back even with the port taxes of Bermuda being much more than Canada.

Best trip to Canada I ever had!! :cool:;)

FWIW