Seasick!

lasvegaswojo

I have motion sickness and vertigo pretty bad. I tried the patch, but it made my vision blurry. The best thing that has worked for me so far has been Bonine. It's over the counter and I usually chew one before we leave home to help with the airplane ascent, then it lasts the rest of the day and I chew another one every morning. My doctor said I could take them for my vertigo, too.

Hey Terre - Never thought about taking it for the vertigo, I will have to try it. Although, that means I should probably be taking it most days. Can not even sit at a traffic light and watch the traffic pass in front of me. I must look off to the side. Can't watch the rides at the amusement parks either. I think I will give the Bonnine a try, I don't want to spend the whole cruise sleeping either. Thanks.

Bonine has worked great for us! We love the chewable tablets - they taste like candy! We take one every night before we go to bed (included the night before we actually get on the cruise ship!) We've never had a problem and my DH gets motion sickness VERY easily (he can't even go on a merry go round! :D )

Bonine was a life saver for me. I tend to get very sea sick and was worried about spending most of our first cruise in the bathroom. I took half a pill in the morning and the other half in the evening. Never once felt sick! We did hit some wild weather on the way back and I slept like a baby. I plan on taking Bonine with us this December when we go on the Coral.

Without medication I've been car-sick, air-sick, sea-sick and get nauseated on a Merry-go-round.

I've used the patch, scopolamine(??), a couple of times, once on a cruise and once when sailing around Catalina Island in a 22' sailboat, and it has worked well for me. I've used bonine on my last 2 cruises and that has worked as well, note we were pitching 5 degrees, magnified by being in Skywalkers, when we left Princess Cay on the Star this January and it didn't affect me.

Starprincess, We enjoyed the cruise. We had a balcony on the Caribe deck as well. We spent quite a bit of time on the balcony even when we were underway on our sea days. Our shore excursions were Tulum in Cozumel, and Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman. We had a catamaran cruise scheduled on Jamaica, but DW didn't feel up to it. We liked the Star Princess, but we liked the Sun Princess more. Jim

Thanks, for the words about the Sun Princess. This is my first cruise so I've been very excited. Then I read various "reviews" and a number of them put down the Sun. But I have found in researching other vacations that there are folks that will put down a hotel that I end up giving 5 stars to. I'm sure this is the same old thing -- put 10 people in a situation and they will each have a different experience and perspective. Sometimes one little perceived "diss" will color everything the rest of the way for that person. I know the Sun is the oldest of the Princess ships -- but its my first and I'm excited as heck! (Alaska from Anchorage to Vancouver 9/5 -- 9/12. Balcony room -- Baja deck.)

Thanks again and thanks to everyone for your generous replies to my post.

I, too, get motion sickness very easily. We went on the Royal to Scandinavia in '00, and I got very sick crossing the English Channel. Went to the ship's infirmary and they gave me "the shot" ($50!!!) and some pills called Avomine, (active ingredient: Promethazine). It worked great!! I intend to ask my doctor for a Rx before I go this time. I have never had anything work so well.

my husband and son both experience motion sickness in cars, trains, planes and boats. we've been on 3 cruises and 1 bonine a day has worked great for them. i start it the night before we cruise and continue throughout the cruise. they have never been drowsy and have never had any side effects. it is important to start taking them before you get sick, as once you get sick, it's too late.

Archived