FireFly Car rental Miami

Isa65

Hoping someone answers your question - also looking for a car rental from MIA to FLL. On Expedia there are car rentals from companies I've never heard of ... Sixt, Fox, EZ, Firefly, ACE and Advantage ... the major companies are expensive to rent from going one way.

Sixt Auto Rental is a European company that only entered the US market a year or so ago. They are a well established company and I have rented from them a few times in Florida. The only problem with Sixt is the fact that they are normally not on site at the airports and you have to shuttle to their facility. Their FLL location is on Federal Highway, just north of Hollywood/ Fort Lauderdale International Airport. Ace, Firefly, EZ, Advantage, Fox, are smaller companies known for their bait and switch routines. You rent a particular vehicle from them and when you arrive there are a few add on charges you weren't aware of. You have a valid reservation and when you arrive at their facility they advise you that the vehicle you reserved is not available and you have to upgrade to a larger vehicle for an added fee. I normally rent from well established companies like Alamo, Hertz, Budget, Dollar, Thifty, and Enterprise. You pay a little more but you get what you pay for.

We recently rented with Firefly in Orlando and it was OK. No bait and switch but they made us wait the 40 minutes before our rental started (our flight was early) and it took forever to do the paperwork. Never had that happen before :) But they honored the price we got (which was great) and we didn't have any issues. We have reserved a car through them for our trip in March, one-way from FLL to MCO. Got a much better price than all the regular large agencies. Firefly is the consumer side of Hertz (I think, one of the major companies anyway) vs the business rentals side. I have rented tons of cars and I don't find any of the companies to be particularly better or worse--they all try to upsell you and get you to sign up for their services. Just smile and get through it!! The worst thing about it (in Orlando) was that they have their cars parked further back in the rental car area, but not that much different.

No Miami experience but maybe this will give you a sense of what to expect.

Good luck.

ML

Does anyone have good/bad experiences with Firefly Rent a Car at Miami International Airport? Their rates are great, but up until now I've only rented from the major national chains. Thanks.

Firefly is Hertz. They needed a "discount" brand to be able to offer a full range of prices. They had to sell off their discount brand, Advantage Rentacar, as a condition of buying Dollar/Thrifty, but now they have Hertz (business), Dollar/Thrifty (family/leisure), and Firefly (discount).