Have I screwed up?

We booked my parents a large balcony (6460) and us a regular balcony (6398) in March on the breeze. For some reason I had it in my mind that smoking was only allowed on the starboard size, but in fact, it's only on the port side. I specifically chose port side hoping to be away from the smoke. The last 2 cruises we went on, folks all around us were smoking on their balconies and it was awful. Luckily that can't happen anymore. For those who have stayed in a 6 floor port side balcony with the smoking lanai right under you, was it ever an issue or did it not bother you since they're out in open air?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You might still be able to change rooms, I did that with mine because I realized I had booked a quad and did not need that.

I am guessing you're concerned about those smoking on deck 5 below you. I should say depending on your balcony location you might be over a smoking area and could then be impacted.

6460's balcony is over a skinny part of the lanai, getting close to the back of the ship. That skinny part of the lanai doesn't have chairs. It's not heavily used, and most people are just walking by. I wouldn't worry too much about that spot in that regard. Most of the room appears to be over the steakhouse, which is fine, but part of the room could be over the lounge which hosts the comedy shows & sometimes karaoke. But it could be alright, since it would probably only be at the edge.

However, 6398's balcony is over a busy spot on the lanai. There are exits from the oceans plaza & Red Frog Pub really close to that balcony, and plenty of tables are set up out there. If that is the smoking side of the lanai, then I would be concerned. I haven't stayed in one of those balconies, so I don't know if it's a problem, but that is a busy spot. Also, depending on the exact spot of the room, there could be noise coming up from below at night. That's 2 reasons to try to get that room switched. But choose carefully, because there are many parts of deck 6 that will have noise from below. I wouldn't want to be over the piano bar either. I would try to move up to deck 7 in the forward or aft, where the lanai is skinny. That is the same category as the category for 6398 (8B), so it should be no cost to make that move. You would have rooms both above & below, which is good.

Edited by k2excursion

This is one of the reasons why I don't like the Balconies above the Lanai. If you can, switch them to a Cove Balcony it is cheaper, it has a WAY better view, and there is no smoke to deal with unless the neighbors violate the no smoking rule!

Edited by cruiser fanatic

My only concern with the cove balconies is how the balcony is made. Our 2 year old is a little monkey and I feel okay with the regular balconies, because there is nothing that he can use as a step on the front of the balcony itself because it's all plexiglass (or whatever it is). However, it looks like there are little openings on the metal front of the cove balcony that I could see him trying to use as a ladder. Before anyone screams at me, let me make it very clear that he is NEVER allowed on the balcony by himself. But, when we are out there, I do like to relax and not have to keep saying "no, Isaac. Get down Isaac. Don't climb on that Isaac..." This will be his 3rd cruise in a balcony room and so far no problems. There is a room available on the starboard side of deck 6 midship - which is what we need due to my daughter's tendency to get motion sick. But now I'm worried about the noise from below. Ugh!!!!! Prices have gone up significantly from when we booked it, so if we change decks, it is going to be expensive. What to do? What to do?

My only concern with the cove balconies is how the balcony is made. Our 2 year old is a little monkey and I feel okay with the regular balconies, because there is nothing that he can use as a step on the front of the balcony itself because it's all plexiglass (or whatever it is). However, it looks like there are little openings on the metal front of the cove balcony that I could see him trying to use as a ladder. Before anyone screams at me, let me make it very clear that he is NEVER allowed on the balcony by himself. But, when we are out there, I do like to relax and not have to keep saying "no, Isaac. Get down Isaac. Don't climb on that Isaac..." This will be his 3rd cruise in a balcony room and so far no problems. There is a room available on the starboard side of deck 6 midship - which is what we need due to my daughter's tendency to get motion sick. But now I'm worried about the noise from below. Ugh!!!!! Prices have gone up significantly from when we booked it, so if we change decks, it is going to be expensive. What to do? What to do?

Is there any rooms on deck 7 mid-ship? It might be worth the extra money to go up a deck.

I could see how a cove could make you nervous with a 2 yr old that likes to climb. We were in a cove and it was great! Saw flying fish and the waves were so close. Either way, I would be nervous about any balcony. Could the monkey push a table ( pretty lightweight) to the plexiglass balcony and climb up. Maybe. What about a harness that you could attach a lead to the back and the monkey can explore but you don't have to get up and down all the time? I've seen people use things like this at Disneyworld so they don't lose track of their kid (especially if they have monkeys). That would give you peace of mind and monkey can feel a little independent.

I know there is some CC member reading this and thinking "I bet she uses this on her husband". LOL!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Lol!! I love it! We actually have one, but I've never "tethered" him to anything with it ;) When we've been on the balcony with him before, we leave the table up by the windows and just block it with our chairs or his 8 year old sis sits on it. Gosh, I think I'm just overthinking this whole thing...something that I have a bad habit of doing! I need to just go and quit worrying about it.