Wingfield-Phillips Rainforest Nature Trail

athebay

We plan to take a cab from the port and hike around an hour or two before heading to the beach. We would really like to check out the rainforest but don't want to do the full volcano hike excursion. After googling a bit (I can't just tell a cab driver to "take us to the rainforest!" Haha) I read about this trail. Most of my info has been gleaned from tripadvisor.

Has anyone ever been here? Are there any fees? Is it clearly marked? Any personal experiences? I have no desire for a guide, we just want to wander around in the forest a bit.

Thanks!

The trails are not marked at all. There is no fee. The trails are very primitive in many places. Every year there are people that do get lost in the rain forest. I will see if I can find the last account and post it here.

You will probably not find it on Trip Advisor. There have been several cases where people had gone hiking and have gotten lost, fallen, or hurt. These for the most part have resulted in minor to severe injury, an unplanned overnight or longer stay in the woods. I have been going to St Kitts since '89, so have heard or read about these happenings. The trails should not be attempted without a local guide. If you decided to go on your own what would you do if a situation arose? The latest I found was about two Windsor medical students that were attempting climb the volcano and had to spend the night on the mountain until being rescued the next day.