solstice / telstra

nodandade

hope someone can give me an answer.we will be sailing solstice out of Sydney to Hawaii.my wife has a Telstra package with her phone,and I know I could ask Telstra this question(and wait a thousand years for an answer) but I thought the best place would be to ask here.for people who have done this,what is the phone/ text reception between Sydney and Hawaii.

now I know we should get decent coverage when we are in ports and closer to land, but has anyone experienced the reception say between syd / nz - nz / Tahiti - Tahiti / Hawaii.

thanks in advance

You will have 100% coverage everywhere. The only problem is it will only work using the ships Wi-Fi at a couple $$ per minute. Obviously there are no cell towers in the middle of the ocean and you are relegated to using the ships system or going without.

You will have no service after an hour or so leaving a port until you reach the next port, unless you are cruising the coast line.

Eg. After leaving Sydney you will loose service not much out of The Heads, you will have no service all the way to NZ and no service through the sounds and around the bottom of NZ south island and will only regain service an hour or so from Dunedin, it will then be patchy and drop in and out up the coastline of NZ to Auckland. You will loose it again after you leave NZ until you get to the next port.