Voyager Review - NYE cruise Fiji & NZ

The itinerary for the tour said that lunch would be at our own expense and from reviews I read on Trip Advisor it sounded like the food at the café was not going to be very good and it was expensive.

The café is on the lakefront at Rotorua. There is a range of hot and cold food on offer, you chose/order what you want and this pay at the end ie like a bistro. I thought the food whilst not great was perfectly fine and yes it wasn't cheap but I wasn't complaining.

I am not sure where we drive to next but its a former historic house that is apparently well known and we stop outside and take photos plus there is the Rachel springs nearby which are 212C which we all intrigued to look at. Next stop, is outside the Agrodome where there are big horned cattle and ostrichs. We stop for photos (big hit for the family) and whilst we are waiting we see someone do a bungy jump from a cherrypicker. So, a brief but interesting stop. Then its more scenic driving and we head back to the dock and our guide gets our to the dock exactly at the time promised.

I forgot to the mention the main reason I booked this tour - they guarantee to get you back to the ship on time and they will refund your money if the ship does not dock at Tauranga for any reason. I liked these guarantees! Yes, you do have to pay upfront online when you book.

When we got back to the Tauranga dock, there is a grassy spot just outside the gates with a big white sign that says "Port of Tauranga". We had plenty time so we decided to sit down here and soak up a bit of sun and the family were delighted to discover we could get free wifi. So, we stayed there until we got too hot and then headed back to the ship.

The queue to get back on the ship was quite lengthy. No doubt because all the private tours were coming back at the same time. But the line moved relatively quickly but I wouldn't leave you plans to join the reboarding queue too late.

Edited by aussielozzie18

Thanks for the tip aussielozzie18. Where in the cruise planner can we change the dining arrangement? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

We are currently on the late seating (there was no choice when we booked) but I would prefer the early seating or MTD. I booked through a travel agent. Maybe I need to contact her.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You need to contact your TA:)

Tonights show is "Australia's Award winning Entertainer" Bernard Walz.

He is a pianist. Definitely, not our cup of tea but we go along anyway and thoroughly enjoy. Bernard is not only a very talented pianist but he is an entertainer and gives entertaining commentary between each performance. We enjoy this show much more than we thought we would

He performs in the La Scala Theatre at 6.45pm and 8.45pm.

Edited by aussielozzie18

So far, we have had gorgeous sunny warm weather(apart from Suva) but today we are cruising towards Wellington and its a bit chilly. Everyone's cold weather gear comes out. Lots of jackets and hoodies around the ship. So, a perfect day for the Men's International Belly Flop Competition!

Its is cold and gusty on pool deck and the Mens Belly flop competition is a sea of blue tools. All the audience have grabbed the blue towels to keep warm. I watch from the comfort on the room near the elevators while my family members go blue watching the competition in the cold. No doubt due to the weather there are a few less competitors than normal!

In the afternoon, the Voyager of the Seas Orchestra perform in concert in the La Scala. I have been impressed with their performances so far, so due to the fact its too cold be on the pool deck we go along for the performance.

The conductor introduces each member of the band who all hail from different countries and their instruments. Its turns out to be quite an entertaining performance and we are glad we went along.

Edited by aussielozzie18

Tonights Headliner is Jeff Green (comedian) who we have seen earlier in the cruise. La Scala at 6.45pm and 8.45pm. He is on fire and the audience is in hysterics.

at 10.15pm the Cruise Director hosts on 70s Disco Inferno Dance Party in the Promenade. Not a 70s fan so we don't go but judging by the cruise video we see on the last day, this looks like it was a fun night and quite popular.

Edited by aussielozzie18

There are good private and RCI tours available for Wellington but thinking that the weather is going to be cold and windy, I do not book them.

Turns out that after a cool start, we have a beautiful sunny day in Wellington with no wind.

So, we dock early in Wellington around 7-7.30pm. We have no plans so we are not in a rush to get off. I think we got off around 8.30am. When you get off the ship at the dock in Wellington there are ladies in a shed who are selling tickets for the ships shuttle into city centre.

Tickets are $10 each (return). They explain that you have the option of a flat walk in of approx. 20 mins or you can pay to catch the shuttle. We opt for the shuttle bus. It arrives promptly and we are soon on board. From the bus,the walk in looks boring (but then we didn't do it) so we are glad we are on the bus.

The Wellington Cruise Ship shuttle service has two stops

1. Wellington I-site visitor centre in the city centre

2. Brandon St, downtown Wellington

about 50% of cruisers get off at each stop. We choose stop no.2 because that is right near the entrance to Cable Car Lane for the fabled Wellington Cable Car.

So, we have beat the crowds again and we are able to get on the Cable car straight away. Tickets are dirt cheap. $4 for adults/$2 for kids single. The nice tourist info man outside the cable car suggests we only buy a one way ticket as once you get to the top, its a very pleasant walk back down through the botanical gardens. Its such a nice day weatherwise that the family vote is to go with this option.

So, the cable car is a slow but very short ride to the top. We get off and have stunning views of Wellington. There is museum and souvenir shop on one side and a perfumery on the other. We do neither. We take lots of photos and start walking down through the gardens.

Have to laugh as we start walking through the gardens. There is large family group ahead of us from the cruise comprising of an older gent and his son/daughters/nieces and nephews who all appear to be in their 20s. They are walking very slowly. As we pass them, the older gent yells out to his family - "guys we are in Wellington, we are in the beautiful botanical gardens - get off your bloody iphones and enjoy the scenery!"

So, its a lovely windy steep walk down to the bottom through the botanical gardens. Best to wear flat shoes if you can. I wasn't but still managed ok. Took about 15 mins.

At the bottom we have no idea where we are but we spot another lovely tourist volunteer. We tell her we have no idea where we are and she asks where we want to go and I tell her the National Museum.

She points to the bus stop across the road. The bus takes us direct to the museum. and it comes along within 2 mins. Lovely friendly kiwi driver who is most helpful and gets us where we want to go.

Museum is free. Very modern. We spend a hour here. Then we walk back to the cable car (Lambton Quay) and do a spot of shopping and have lunch.

Find our only souvenir shop in Wellington city (Simply NZ) which is just around the corner from the bus stop that the shuttle leaves from to get back to the ship. Spend up big on last minute souvenirs and gifts and get back on the shuttle and back to the ship. Easy peasy.

Edited by aussielozzie18

Thanks for the great information and answering my previous questions. Could you please let me know about the cupcake decorating class and how many cupcakes you get to decorate and if you have a choice of what you want to do.

Today is my last day to book online and any information would be greatly appreciated:)

So, we are back on board the ship in the early afternoon. Wellington harbour looks glorious from our balcony. The ship is doing tender drills outside our balcony which is interesting to watch for a while. Then we head up the Solarium for a bit of R & R. Didn't think I would be swimming in the Solarium pool in Wellington!

At 5pm, its is FINALLY our turn to see the Ice Show. This show is for My Time Dining only. Entry is from 4.30pm onwards and as previously stated each and every sea pass is checked. Ice Rink is slightly bigger for the show than it is for general public skating. But it is still tiny. Not much room for 8 ice dancers and props.

I am not going to go into too much detail about the show. Let you enjoy it for yourselves. Only goes for 45 mins. Due to the size of the rink there are quite a few spills. The Russian iceskater and his partner are awesome. Overall, I was little disappointed but you may feel differently.

Thanks for the great information and answering my previous questions. Could you please let me know about the cupcake decorating class and how many cupcakes you get to decorate and if you have a choice of what you want to do.

Today is my last day to book online and any information would be greatly appreciated:)

Pressure:)

Cupcake class needs to be booked online beforehand. Very popular.

Held in the Cupcake Cupboard a cute little pink shop next to the Windjammer on Deck 11. Cupcake Cupboard is run by the lovely Lara from the Phillipines.

You have the option of decorating a dog or a hamburger. You cant choose the cupcake online but on the Voyager Lara is happy to tell you which cupcake you are doing and if you are okay with that.

I did the adult class. About 9/10 ladies. Come into class. Meet Lara. Wash your hands at the basin and take a seat. Introduce yourself to the other participants. All of us in the class admitted we were crap at decorating cupcakes. Lol! You are given 2 cupcakes to work with but only make one cupcake . Lara takes you through step by step. She a sweetheart. Its harder than it looks but its fun.

Takes about 25 mins. Lara tells you need to eat it within 4 hrs. If you step in the lift after the class with your cupcake you get lots of nice compliments:)

I did the dog btw.

Tip: Lara tells you must hold onto you cupcake (its a double cupcake) when you take it back to your cabin. I held onto my cupcake in the lift but when I got back to the cabin, I was too busy opening the cabin door and I forgot.

I opened the cabin door and it went flying! and landed face first on the carpet.

I think I may have screamed. Lol!

So, definitely worth doing the class. Just hold onto you cupcake afterwards!

Thank you so much for the speedy reply. Sorry to hear about your cupcake mishap but at least you can laugh about it now. Will pass on the information to my daughter who I am sure will want me to book her a class. Again many thanks, your information is priceless and thorough and a joy to read. :)

So, I have heard a lot about Quest on Cruise Critic but never been.

On Voyager its held in Studio B after the final ice show. So, the ice rink is covered with a floor.

Doors open at 9.50pm and its starts at 10.15pm.

Adults only. Lots of audience participation.

Studio B audience is dividied into 11 teams based on where you are sitting.

Two team leaders are chosen from each team. The audience stay in their seats for the show. The team leaders come down on onto the stage.

Quest is run by the Cruise Director and the Entertainment Manager.

Not going to give away any details. But is an absolute hoot. Lots of fun for everyone.

Tip: Ladies if you volunteer to be a team leader make sure you are not wearing 6"heels. That floor is slippery and our team leader had to be replaced after our first team leader had a very nasty fall trying to run on the slippery floor in heels.

Tip: Gents what happens in Quest does not stay in Quest. It is shown on the end of cruise video that is shown in everyone cabins and on the last day in the Headliner show. Be warned.

Quest - lots and lots of fun.

So tonight we sail out of Wellington and head back to Sydney. We sail through North and South island and the scenery is stunning. Hard to explain but is very bright and there are shadowery images of the mountains. Just stunning.

And the seas are calm. Flat like a pancake. Cannot believe it.

So, last two days at sea. Seas continue to be flat as a pancake. Amazing.

Go to the Captain's Q & A session which goes for about 2 hrs. Captain answers everyone's question.

Do, the cupcake decoration class as previously reviewed.

Tonight's entertainer is a Rod Stewart impersonator. Not a fan of Rod Stewart so its the only show we miss on board.

See him in the Windjammer and he definitely looks like Rod Stewart!

Anyone got anymore questions, now is the time to ask.

I was admit I was worried before this cruise. We had a wonderful time last year on the Rhapsody. The Voyager was much more expensive. Would it be worth it? Post refurb the Voyager was getting bad reviews. Were we going to have problems? How would be cope with 14 days on board? Would it be too crowded??

Well, I got off the Voyager after two weeks and felt wonderfully relaxed. . Did I have problems in the MDR? yes. Did it ruin my cruise? Not in the least.

Was it crowded? Only one day in 14. The day before we arrived in Wellington and it was too cold to be on top deck. That day we had lots of teenagers indoors and it was noticeable. Otherwise, not a problem with crowds anywhere.

Favourite things about the Voyager for us: the stability and the night-time entertainment. Great ports in Fiji & NZ

Would I book the Voyager again? YES.

Hope you enjoyed reading my review:)

Thank so much for this review, it's awesome, sooo much detail and no drama over the annoyances like the other voyager reviews I've seen! We are thinking about booking for voyager later this year with two younger kids so I have a couple of questions:

1. Any feedback or info about the kids club?

2. Besides cupcake decorating and the shows and movies, what other activities are their onboard, especially on sea days. Understand you can't review them but I'm keen to know what else is available. If I don't keep busy I tend to focus on food and eat my way through holidays :)

Many thanks for the detailed review.

A few of questions if you don't mind;

1.For New Zealand did you pre purchase NZ currency or get it from an ATM when you arrived in each port, not sure what we should do.

2.I assume from your review of Lautoka in post 25 that both Fiji and Australian dollars are accepted by most traders/market stalls ?

Thank so much for this review, it's awesome, sooo much detail and no drama over the annoyances like the other voyager reviews I've seen! We are thinking about booking for voyager later this year with two younger kids so I have a couple of questions:

1. Any feedback or info about the kids club?

2. Besides cupcake decorating and the shows and movies, what other activities are their onboard, especially on sea days. Understand you can't review them but I'm keen to know what else is available. If I don't keep busy I tend to focus on food and eat my way through holidays :)

Thank you.

Sorry, my family don't do the kids clubs (grrr) so I cant give you any info.

I have the cruise compasses from all 14 days. Give me a day or two and I will come back with a detailed list of what was on offer during the cruise. We had a lot of sea days....

Many thanks for the detailed review.

A few of questions if you don't mind;

1.For New Zealand did you pre purchase NZ currency or get it from an ATM when you arrived in each port, not sure what we should do.

2.I assume from your review of Lautoka in post 25 that both Fiji and Australian dollars are accepted by most traders/market stalls ?

Happy to answer any questions I can :)

Because we did ship tours in Fiji we didn't have much opportunity to buy souvenirs. At the markets which were on the wharf at Lautoka, the goods were available to buy in AUD or FJD (notes only for AUD not coins) We paid for the henna at the Suva wharf in AUD.

For NZ, I took a gamble and took no NZD because I knew we were docking in the city centre in Auckland. I guessed/hoped that finding a Westpac atm would be easy. We paid for entry to Sky Tower by credit card and then I easily found a Westpac bank. There were in fact 2 x Westpac banks/atms near the dock and both were easy to find.