define 'wine' for you carry on allowance on Carnival

ginka

I brought on a bottle with my own opener and took a glass in the MDR a couple nights. No one said a word.

Room service will give you a corkscrew and glasses if you ask. If you treat a favorite bartender well, they'll even open it for you.

We bring FULL glasses to the MDR with us. :)

Edited by gtalum

OP, if you're looking for a really sweet, quality wine & don't mind paying more for it, look for Inniskillin Ice Wine. It's a dessert wine that's a true treat.

We actually bought a "wine/champagne sealer" at Target for about $15. Works great. Made by Houdini.

Another trick we learned from a sommelier on a ship is to put a piece of silverware in the open bottle, when you're ready to refrigerate it. (He used a fork.) Obviously, the top of the fork stops it from going swimming. I don't know how it works, but we've had champagne/sparkling wine taste fresh & bubbly a week later. We also have some of the replaceable corks like you mentioned. Most often we just use a fork or spoon now, but the resealable corks do work very well.

so just to clarify on this...if I only want it for in my room at nights I don't have to pay the corkage fee? Great deal if so....had to pay the corkage fee on one of the other lines no matter what....

Keep in mind that Carnival only allows one bottle per person, unlike the cruise line you're probably referring to. They do charge corkage on all bottles, but you can bring on as many as you want.

OP, if you're looking for a really sweet, quality wine & don't mind paying more for it, look for Inniskillin Ice Wine. It's a dessert wine that's a true treat.

Another trick we learned from a sommelier on a ship is to put a piece of silverware in the open bottle, when you're ready to refrigerate it. (He used a fork.) Obviously, the top of the fork stops it from going swimming. I don't know how it works, but we've had champagne/sparkling wine taste fresh & bubbly a week later. We also have some of the replaceable corks like you mentioned. Most often we just use a fork or spoon now, but the resealable corks do work very well.

so, you dont use a cork or stopper or anything with this technique?:confused:

quote]

Edited by ginka

so, you dont use a cork or stopper or anything with this technique?:confused:

quote]

Exactly. Just put a silver fork or spoon in it, then refrigerate. When the sommelier delivered our 1/2 full bottle of champagne with a fork in it, we were as puzzled as you are. Somehow, it works. We do it all the time now & don't even bother with the resealable corks.

Carnival allows one bottle of wine, 750 ml, per adult for U.S. departures (rules could be different in other countries) from your first port of departure...i.e. you sail from Miami so you are permitted one bottle to carry on. If you stop in other ports you cannot carry another on with you. (just trying to clarify) They do indeed often look at the bottle and they will not permit bottles of substance such as mudslinger or other alcohol mixed product that is packaged looking like a wine bottle. It does have to say wine on it. Corkage is only paid if you carry the bottle to the dining room. Glasses can be carried anywhere on the ship for consumption. You can carry the bottle to other locations as well, just not the main dining room.

Try Relax Riesling. In my area it sells between $8-$11 a bottle. It's really fruity and always a hit when I host a party. It is sold in a dark blue bottle.

If you like super super sweet, then Moscato is a very popular choice. It's too sweet for me but I know people that love it.

Yes Relax is a very good one too. Those Germans sure can make some TA sty wine ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carnival allows one bottle of wine, 750 ml, per adult for U.S. departures (rules could be different in other countries) from your first port of departure...i.e. you sail from Miami so you are permitted one bottle to carry on. If you stop in other ports you cannot carry another on with you. (just trying to clarify) They do indeed often look at the bottle and they will not permit bottles of substance such as mudslinger or other alcohol mixed product that is packaged looking like a wine bottle. It does have to say wine on it. Corkage is only paid if you carry the bottle to the dining room. Glasses can be carried anywhere on the ship for consumption. You can carry the bottle to other locations as well, just not the main dining room.

These are the 'rules', however, I wonder how carefully the enforce them. On our Christmas cruise on the Pride I had 2-1.5L bottles in my carry-on suitcase that went through the scanner. Nothing was said to me, I just picked up my suitcase and continued to board. I would not assuming this would happen every time, but it makes me wonder how carefully they look.

As for a cork screw, either your room steward or room service may be able to give you a free Carnival cork screw. We got one on a previous cruise and always bring it with us now.

We brought Sangria last time, but now looking back... that was pretty stupid because we don't drink. It sounded good at the time, but it came back home in the luggage....

I believe that they are pretty lenient, and as long as it isn't Whiskey, Vodka, etc., they will allow it. I think they are just trying to regulate the harder stuff.

We brought Sangria last time, but now looking back... that was pretty stupid because we don't drink. It sounded good at the time, but it came back home in the luggage....

I believe that they are pretty lenient, and as long as it isn't Whiskey, Vodka, etc., they will allow it. I think they are just trying to regulate the harder stuff.

That is why I thought it strange that they never said anything about the 2 larger bottles in my carry-on. They looked like 40 oz. bottles:confused: