Hotels in Santiago

KrAzYGaL

We will be spending two nights in Santiago before our cruise on the 5th of Feb. Can someone recommed a good and safe hotel and how did you then arrange for transfer to the pier. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. I will be travelling with my mother who is in her seventies so I want to do what is the safest and easiest. Thanks

We are staying in the Ritz Carlton for one night at the end of January after our cruise from Rio. This hotel has been recommended on this board and the rate I have is very reasonable.

We are sharing a private guide with another couple when we leave the ship. He is going to take us to a winery and give us a tour of Santiago.

Jennie

I am sailing with NCL in December/January and they have arranged hotels as part of the package. I shall be staying 2 nights at the Santiago Sheraton (+ 2 nights post cruise at Buenos Aires Sheraton). Have to admit that I much prefer the cruiseline to organise everything, especially flights/hotels. All transfers from airports/hotels/ship are included.

We are working with DeFrantur Tours. He has suggested the following hotels in Santiago: Ritz Carlton, Hyatt, Marriott, Sheraton, Regal Pacific and Radisson. We are probably going to go with the Ritz.

I believe that we are on the same cruise (Celebrity Infinity) :)

Mary Lou

Last December we stayed at the Hyatt. The room was very nice and the staff helpful. We were there over Christmas. It was very convient to shopping and restaurants. Others in our group stayed at the Sheraton. It was nice but a bit isolated because of road construction around it.

We also stayed at the Hyatt and loved it. Very large and comfortable rooms, high-tea in the afternoon, good buffet breakfast and concierge service. We used Port Compass for our transport to Valparaiso which also included a stop at a winery, a tour of Vina del Mar and Valparaiso, with a lunch, too. I found a taxi/shuttle service on the internet to take us from the airport to the Hyatt. It all worked out very well. This was in December of 2003.

We will be staying at the Hyatt in March. I would like to take my friends to a restaurant that will have the best lobster and other seafood. I want it to be very memorable. It really doesn't matter whether the place is fancy or not but I want them to always remember the luscious food.

Any suggestions???? Any good memories????

Fran

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for Santiago but ...

If you're on a cruise going to Punta Arenas Chile and you like king crab, you must go to Sotito's. We had the king crab parmesan appetizer, the seafood soup, and the king crab a la creme. It was wolderful!!! It's just a few blocks from the cruise ship terminal.

http://www.chileaustral.com/sotitos/index.shtml

We stayed at the Hyatt last December. Food at the hotel seemed expensive but was good. Very nice pool. The hotel arranged pick up from the airport and a city tour for us. Reasonable and good. Could have booked other tours/transfers but they were included in our cruise. Hotel was walking distance (a couple of blocks) to a nice mall with various restaurants and cheap internet.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for Santiago but ...

If you're on a cruise going to Punta Arenas Chile and you like king crab, you must go to Sotito's. We had the king crab parmesan appetizer, the seafood soup, and the king crab a la creme. It was wolderful!!! It's just a few blocks from the cruise ship terminal.

http://www.chileaustral.com/sotitos/index.shtml

I don't have a Santiago hotel recommendation but I do echo your thoughts about Sotitos in Punta Arenas. We ate there and had the best crab meal I've ever had in my life! This is a must when visiting this city. And it was so easy to walk to. ;)

Unfortunately I will not be going to Punta Arenas or Puerto Montt, so NO SOTITO'S. I will be going north. I am sorry that there are such negative feelings about it but I want to go there and see for myself. Last year I went to Antarctica and the Amazon. I loved it but each trip is to be different. My regrets are that I am not going to see Easter Island this time. I will catch it on another cruise.

Fran

Archived