Burnie, Tasmania?????

stebul

Any thoughts on excursions for a day stop in Burnie, Tasmania?

The HAL shore excursions include town and garden tours, scenic drives, farm visits, and a cavern. Any other ideas? Is Cradle Mountain too far for a day excursion from Burnie?

Steve

There is not a lot to see in Burnie. Cradle Mountain is not that far away from Burnie and would be quite doable in a day. Another idea would be to do a winery tour as the northern part of Tasmania has some wonderful wineries.

We are going over to Tasmania in October and we will be going to Cradle Mountain from Devonport. It is only take about an hour or so to get there so it would be a similar drive from Burnie.

Jennie

• 1 month later...
There is not a lot to see in Burnie. Cradle Mountain is not that far away from Burnie and would be quite doable in a day. Another idea would be to do a winery tour as the northern part of Tasmania has some wonderful wineries.

We are going over to Tasmania in October and we will be going to Cradle Mountain from Devonport. It is only take about an hour or so to get there so it would be a similar drive from Burnie.

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

We will be in Burnie for 1 day on Statendam

on the Xmas New Year cruise.

What do you suggest we see.

David.

Hi Jennie,

We will be in Burnie for 1 day on Statendam

on the Xmas New Year cruise.

What do you suggest we see.

David.

David,We just returned last night from 10 fabulous days in this wonderful island. As I suggested earlier, if it were me I would go to Cradle Mountain for the day and walk around Dove Lake.Otherwise, I would take a trip up to Stanley which is right at the top northern end of Tasmania. Another idea would be to go to Launceston which is quite an easy journey from Burnie to Launceston on the freeway. There is a lot to see and do around Launceston eg. that is where most of the wineries are locatedHere is another idea. We spent yesterday in a lovely town called Latrobe, just outside of Devenport which is between Launceston and Burnie. We spent ages browsing the many antique shops, had lunch at a wonderful chocolate restaurant (Belgium chocolates served with coffee or tea) and then went for a walk in the National Park nearby and actually saw a platypus. We spent about 4 hours altogether in this town. You could then go on to Deloraine or Mole Creek and visit the caves. All of these towns are not that far in distance and if you hired a car you would be easily able to do it.Have fun, it is a great place to visit.Jennie

Many thanks for your excellent response .

With 6 of us travelling together ,will look at renting an MPV or small van for the day in Burnie,although the only rental firms seem to be at the airport 1/2 an hour away.

For me however,the biggest thrill will be cruising on Statendam.My only other HAL cruise was a 30 day segment on Amsterdam,from Valparaiso to Sydney,and I still rank that as one the best cruises ever.

David.

David,

It should be a wonderful trip. We were on the Maasdam in July/August and thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. They are the perfect sized ship. We have booked a 34 day cruise on the Veendam - a sister ship to both the Statendam and Maasdam - in September next year.

We are off on the Regal Princess in January for the cruise from Rio to Valpariso. It is count down time now, not that long before we leave home, only 10 weeks!!

Jennie

Archived