Let's talk about credit card insurance

bazzaw

Thank you all for the input.

We have an ANZ credit card. They actually have 3 policies with the Insurer - an OVERSEAS TRAVEL and MEDICAL INSURANCE Policy , a TRANSPORT ACCIDENT Policy, and a RENTAL EXCESS Policy. These policies are all different, covering different incidents/damages/losses and with different elegibility criteria eg The first requires only $250 spent on the credit card while the second requires ALL travel costs to be spent on the card.

My main purpose in having any kind of Insurance is to avoid catastrophic financial disaster - secondary purpose is to recover smaller losses (even large secondary losses)

I have always been aware of the need to contact the Insurer - but there is a grey line regarding when exactly is this absolutely necessary. For example, if I did not contact the insurer for some minor medical attention onboard the ship and they refused to pay the Doctor's bill, this would be of not much matter - BUT if hospitalized on the ship, then there could be a much greater cost involved.

We will be having time ashore - so one thing I have learned from this is to carry the relevant emergency phone number with us at all times -- as when the proverbial bus runs one of us over, the ambulance will take us to the nearest hospital - there will be little opportunity to ring Insurance Company before admission!!!!

Barry

You make a good point about having contact details with you. I have an iPhone and have downloaded the NAB Policy into IBooks for future reference for when we are overseas. I also took a photo of the contact phone numbers for QBE for quick reference. I put this in a Travel Folder within my photos which also has photos of my cc, passport, frequent flyer numbers etc. Fortunately, I have not had to make a claim on our cc insurance.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Can I also throw in another scenario - that is - elderly parents. The ANZ policy does not cover non travelling family members who are 80 and over. I have a cancellation claim in place at the moment. We had to cancel because my father took ill, he was 79 when the policy was activated, but they are now looking at pre-existing conditions, I had to provide medical reports from 2012. We now cannot get any cancellation insurance to cover us if my parents become ill, as Dad now has a pre-existing condition. Diane

Diane, I would start a new thread about this. This is quite different from the credit card insurance, and more relevant to over 70's insurance and pre existing conditions. (I don't know much about either of those things)

Diane, I would start a new thread about this. This is quite different from the credit card insurance, and more relevant to over 70's insurance and pre existing conditions. (I don't know much about either of those things)

That's a good point about another thread. This claim is through my credit card insurance and I just wanted to alert others about the cut-off age for non travelling family members with regards cancellation. ANZ card via QBE is 80 years, I would assume that other cards would be similar. Diane

Good point - I think the credit card insurance is good for the average things, but I do remember seeing with NAB an age limit. That just makes me more determined to travel now. I hope your father picks up soon.

Edited by goodycruising

This claim is through my credit card insurance and I just wanted to alert others about the cut-off age for non travelling family members with regards cancellation. ANZ card via QBE is 80 years, I would assume that other cards would be similar. Diane

I'd agree, it's still about credit card insurance.

Good point - I think the credit card insurance is good for the average things, but I do remember seeing with NAB an age limit. That just makes me more determined to travel now. I hope your father picks up soon.

Thanks for asking - Dad's back to good health again, it just means that we can't plan anything long term, but hey if that's the only thing we have to worry about - we're lucky. Diane

Someone at Qantas told me they'd refund a ticket (cheap, non-refundable) if my mother died. Compassionate grounds. I've never had to put it to the test, not sure if it's widely advertised it known.

Not sure it's relevant to the thread but some of you might be interested.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app