Long Time

BOLTFISH

Long time lurker, first post...

Long time between cruises...

Long time until our next cruise, but it's booked, thus I have a ton of questions... Hoping those in here can help me out, save me some funds, and make our cruise more enjoyable...

CRUISE: Nav of the Seas,

PORTS: Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Falmouth

1. For some reason, the biggest question within our group is staying connected either for work, or because our kids can't live without things like instrgram and snapchat. I only need the phone and text coverage, so I plan on using the Verizon cruise package for $25, which comes with 100 MB in data. Is the 'AT SEA' cell coverage on the ship and in the western Caribbean ports sufficient to send/receive text messages and possibly make a very expensive phone call if necessary? Is the data package on Verizon's cruise package (100 MB) sufficient for my kids to send roughly 10 instrgram/snap chats each day for seven days?

1a. Is there a family plan sharing wifi package onboard?

2. We are a pretty active family, want to expierence things we can't do at home, and love beaches and an occasional local cocktail. What are the best excursions in each port as it applies to the best bang for the buck? Would love to see the Mayan ruins, however the bus ride I read about in here has me hesitating.

3. We are concerned with the 'choose as you go' dining times. It's been a long time since we have cruised so, this is very new to us... We enjoy having the same waiter who knows our likes/dislikes. What is the consensus on the new school dining on RCI or should we bank on the dining time wait list to be our friend?

Sorry for the novel as my first post... I really enjoy this site and look forward to your expierence based responses.

Edited by BOLTFISH

Long time lurker, first post...

Long time between cruises...

Long time until our next cruise, but it's booked, thus I have a ton of questions... Hoping those in here can help me out, save me some funds, and make our cruise more enjoyable...

CRUISE: Nav of the Seas,

PORTS: Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Falmouth

1. For some reason, the biggest question within our group is staying connected either for work, or because our kids can't live without things like instrgram and snapchat. I only need the phone and text coverage, so I plan on using the Verizon cruise package for $25, which comes with 100 MB in data. Is the 'AT SEA' cell coverage on the ship and in the western Caribbean ports sufficient to send/receive text messages and possibly make a very expensive phone call if necessary? Is the data package on Verizon's cruise package (100 MB) sufficient for my kids to send roughly 10 instrgram/snap chats each day for seven days?

1a. Is there a family plan sharing wifi package onboard?

2. We are a pretty active family, want to expierence things we can't do at home, and love beaches and an occasional local cocktail. What are the best excursions in each port as it applies to the best bang for the buck? Would love to see the Mayan ruins, however the bus ride I read about in here has me hesitating.

3. We are concerned with the 'choose as you go' dining times. It's been a long time since we have cruised so, this is very new to us... We enjoy having the same waiter who knows our likes/dislikes. What is the consensus on the new school dining on RCI or should we bank on the dining time wait list to be our friend?

Sorry for the novel as my first post... I really enjoy this site and look forward to your expierence based responses.

See if there is a roll call for your cruise. Lots of help there. go to the forum on carbbean ports of call for things to do on the islands. MTD you can request the same waiters.Tell your kids to put down their phones and enjoy the cruise. They will be meeting and making new friends in the kids and teen area. Then tell their experience with pictures when they get home.

Have a great cruise

See if there is a roll call for your cruise. Lots of help there. go to the forum on carbbean ports of call for things to do on the islands. MTD you can request the same waiters.Tell your kids to put down their phones and enjoy the cruise. They will be meeting and making new friends in the kids and teen area. Then tell their experience with pictures when they get home.

Have a great cruise

Failed to mention, both kids are college students... They have NO IDEA HOW TO PUT A PHONE DOWN....I have a family member that is very ill, so having text ability will ease my mind, just wanted to know how good the cell coverage was throughout the ship so we can do a lil bit of what we do daily on land.

Thanks for the other info.. I'll check out the roll call.

Anybody have any insight to my posts above, specifically #1 and #1a... As suggested, I have found a ton about shore excursions, however, I have not found a lot of answers on the cell service and how much 100MB gets you in a week.

Thanks...

Anybody have any insight to my posts above, specifically #1 and #1a... As suggested, I have found a ton about shore excursions, however, I have not found a lot of answers on the cell service and how much 100MB gets you in a week.

Thanks...

100MB will go further if you are sending plain text/email messages. It will NOT go far if you are on Facebook/Snapchat/Twitter and sending picture texts.

100MB will go further if you are sending plain text/email messages. It will NOT go far if you are on Facebook/Snapchat/Twitter and sending picture texts.

Awesome Thanks April... My adult kids might have to learn how to communicate w/their social media world the old school way... EMAIL :)

Weird that email is the archaic manner to communicate these days. Social media has 100% taken over the way we communicate.

Is the signal pretty good throughout the ship or is it like a weak 3g all over?

Edited by BOLTFISH

Active family will love all the features on Navigator , rock climbing wall, flow rider etc. Cozumel has some great restaurants and bars fun place, there are a few small ruins on the island

That what I'm talking about there George... Thanks

On the Roatan route all of the ports had wifi available at bars and restaurants with a small purchase. Maybe you can convince the "kids" to wait for a port to do their texting and snap chats.

I'm a phone addict myself and it did take a little bit to get used to, but it was nice to be without the distractions.

To address your dining question - we've done my time dining twice, and both times we had the same waiters every night. We did arrive at about the same time each night, so that might play a role.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To address your dining question - we've done my time dining twice, and both times we had the same waiters every night. We did arrive at about the same time each night, so that might play a role.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great to know... Thanks Triple.. Also thanks to TTFN and others who have aided with my questions.

How great you're cruising! I couldn't share data with my son, he would use 99% (in a day or so) and I'd get nada.

Have a blast. I love getting on a ship because my phone is no more and I love that! I use it quite a bit but on a cruise I don't miss it at all!

Mary

Cozumel- check out the x-trail dune buggies to Jade Caverns went there Sept 2013 with Hubby and I (48) 3 kids and new Son in law (22-26) they had a blast it was very muddy which is what they wanted and they had the freedom to plaster mom without getting into trouble! :)

Grand Cayman- check Captain Crosby for a tour out to Stingray City

One thing I love about cruising is we buy no internet or phone service and we get to enjoy family time without the constant distraction of texting! Just like the good old days!:D