Can we expect a return to 6 day crossings?

ren0312

To me the ship is a large part of my destination and I love the 7-day crossings. I am amazed how fast they go by. I would have to vote for no changes.

I am currently reading John Maxtone-Graham's newest book about the S.S. United States. She made the crossing in 3 days and 10 hours and no other ship has bested her to take the Blue Riband.

I do not believe a 6-day crossing will ever be re-introduced even though fuel costs are lower because they will still be making savings with the lower fuel costs and is is possible the fuel price will rise again before too long.

Shortly after the 7-day crossing was first introduced we were invited to the Captain's table for dinner and I asked the reasons for it. He said it saved $500,000 per crossing in fuel (does this feel right or too much?), it was by popular demand (I don't recall being asked about it!) and fitted nicely into a week's leave for working people (debatable). I tried to question these reasons and he was quite dismissive of any discussion. I asked about slowing down to 8 days before the occasional one was introduced. He said this was possible, but they could never go to 9 days because the engines would run inefficiently and fuel consumption would rise.

Shortly after the 7-day crossing was first introduced we were invited to the Captain's table for dinner and I asked the reasons for it. He said it saved $500,000 per crossing in fuel (does this feel right or too much?),

Please note, a very rough calculation.

6 day crossing - 144 hours.

Quoted fuel consumption QM2 - 3 tonnes per hour - 432 tonnes.

Quoted bunker fuel first quarter 2015 $612 tonne.

I make that total fuel cost on a crossing (very rough maths) as $265,000.

So the captain was way out, or maybe I got it wrong.

David

Please note, a very rough calculation.

6 day crossing - 144 hours.

Quoted fuel consumption QM2 - 3 tonnes per hour - 432 tonnes.

Quoted bunker fuel first quarter 2015 $612 tonne.

I make that total fuel cost on a crossing (very rough maths) as $265,000.

So the captain was way out, or maybe I got it wrong.

David

I didn't question it at the time but afterwards the figure struck me as high. Perhaps he meant per annum.

I am sure somebody reading this will know what the real figure!

Back in the 1960's and 1970's I had the opportunity to make several transatlantic crossings on the now defunct but much missed Italian Line. Depending on the ship, it was 5 or 6 days to Gibraltar, 7 or 8 to Naples and 8 or 9 to the last stops, Cannes and Genoa. These afforded a relaxing week to get to the Med on voyages which were far more sunny than the dreadful northern route and afforded a passing glimpse of the Azores and The Rock. Back in the 1960's Cunard tried to compete on this route by placing Mauretania in that service but it was a total failure for them and Mauretania wound up going to the scrap heap. But now the market is Cunard's for the taking. How I wish they would use QM2 for an occasional crossing from NYC to the Med but then they want to promote UK tourism, not Italy's. So it's unlikely to happen but I would seriously consider such a dream trip.

If we are going for speed, let's go to 5 or even 4 day crossings again. I would love the alternative to airplanes for business travel.

But for vacations, 7 days is a couple days too short for me. Just booked the April QV 8 day TA just to get one more sea day!

Rob