Not sure which deck for cabin

Tark

Hi all,

I have read these boards on and off for a couple of years, but only just joined.

Next year I am planning my first cruise and looks like it will be on Celebrity Silhouette. Hoping this is a good ship for a first cruise.

Anyway the ship will be chartered by Atlantis and they bring on a lot of there own entertainment. I have read SO much and looked at pictures, but I guess till you go on your first cruise you never can imagine what a ship really does look like inside :) Very hard to imagine really.

Is it as straight forwards as walking from one side of a ship to the other side? Or does it not work like that?

Also apart from the pool area that is open air, is there many places you can go to be outside and see the sea? Or do you rely on having an in room balcony for that? as said hard to really visualize how it all looks.

Sorry went off on a tangent there.

My main question is cabin location. As I cannot really judge how big and vast everything is.

As said Atlantis brings a lot of there own entertainment, so not sure if that changes venues.

I would ideally like to be in a roughly central location to most things. Is that even possible?

Would this mean a mid level deck like maybe 6 or 7?

Another things and I know its a touchy subject but please forgive :)

I am a smoker, I fully understand there is only 4 locations to smoke. It sounds hardly any but it is what it.. So I guess I would like to not be too far from a smoking location. Not sure if it takes a long time on lifts to get to decks etc. So is there some cabin decks more suited for smokers to get too?

Not sure if being starboard or portside means it takes longer to get to certain areas.

Ok sorry if questions seems a bit silly but as I said never been on a cruise before.

Thanks for any help.

Is it as straight forwards as walking from one side of a ship to the other side? Or does it not work like that?

Not sure what you mean, but if you're asking if it's easy to do so, yes. Very.

Also apart from the pool area that is open air, is there many places you can go to be outside and see the sea? Or do you rely on having an in room balcony for that? as said hard to really visualize how it all looks.

Oodles. The pool deck area is semi-enclosed on the sides. The deck above that rings the pool is open. There are sun decks toward the front, as well. Deck 4 or 5 (can't remember off the top of my head) has open decks down the sides. Not to be forgotten is the lawn deck.

I would ideally like to be in a roughly central location to most things. Is that even possible?

Would this mean a mid level deck like maybe 6 or 7?

I think you're overestimating how big the ship is. It's only a couple minutes' walk from most venues, unless you're going from the main theater to the lawn club.

So is there some cabin decks more suited for smokers to get too?

Not sure if being starboard or portside means it takes longer to get to certain areas.

The ship's beam is only 39m and side-to-side is just a few steps. The aft cabins are quite a hike from the nearest elevators or stairs, though. Just walk off your buffet indulgences. :D

Edited by HickoryShampoo

Silhouette is our favorite s class ship, very beautiful, but they all are with only small differences. The ship is not very wide and you can easily walk from side to side.

Front to back is another matter though. Up and down you can use the stairs, remember the old adage, up one or down two, use the stairs. otherwise you'll be on elevators.

If possible choose a cabin close to the elevator !

Since you are smoker, I suggest a cabin on deck 6 as close to the elevators as possible. You can smoke outside on deck 5 (port side), so this won't be a long way off from your cabin. Don't bother with the elevators, just use the stairs to go up or down one flight. A downside some people mention is that on deck 6 the lifeboats are in the way, blocking your view downwards to the ocean. IMHO, they are not that big a deal. Try for a hump cabin if you can.

Thank you all for your replies. It is exciting planning a cruise :)

The dates and ports have not officially been announced yet, but from what they told me should be feb next year. Seems a very long way off lol.

You are right I have over estimated how big the ship is lol. Thanks for putting it all in perspective.

Thanks again for the tips.

Thank you all for your replies. It is exciting planning a cruise :) <snip> You are right I have over estimated how big the ship is lol. Thanks for putting it all in perspective. Thanks again for the tips.

Hi - welcome to Cruise Critic and your first cruise!

If you haven't already, consider going to youtube.com - type Celebrity Silhouette in the search box. Many videos have been posted. That should give you a sense of the size and layout of the ship.

My tip for cabin selection - have cabins above, below and across the hall if possible.

Have a great time planning your first cruise - the days will fly by!

Edited by MarKay525

just watched some vids on you tube of walk around tours. very interesting to see it!

What surprised me is how little stairs it is to go up a floor lol. For some reason I thought it would be quite a few stairs per floor.

Forget the elevator I could run up and down them no problem lol.

One last question if that is ok. I see the life boats around the ship. Is it fair to say all mid ship cabins with balconies even high up, would look down onto a life boat instead of water?

Edited by Tark

just watched some vids on you tube of walk around tours. very interesting to see it!

What surprised me is how little stairs it is to go up a floor lol. For some reason I thought it would be quite a few stairs per floor.

Forget the elevator I could run up and down them no problem lol.

One last question if that is ok. I see the life boats around the ship. Is it fair to say all mid ship cabins with balconies even high up, would look down onto a life boat instead of water?

Cabins on the hump (the part that sticks out on the side) do not look down on lifeboats.

Enjoy your first cruise!