RCL Buy One Get One 50% off Sale Bait n' Switch?

rhacknc

I don't think the current sale is a bait and switch. It's just a promotional handle and not really a sale in my opinion. Seems like Royal is hoping this will appeal to and attract new cruiser who might have the impression of actually getting a sale price.

It seems as though the current buy one get one 50% off sale is some kind of bait and switch tactic. I cannot seem to understand how they arrive at their pricing. I called RCL last night and tried to get an explanation but agent could not really explain the differences I was seeing. As an example: 12 Night Mediterranean Isles Cruise for October advertises a Large Ocean View Stateroom ranging from $1649 to $1769pp. Once the room is selected and you finish the selection you can click a link for a summary of charges which shows the room as $2199pp, plus taxes/port charges of $151. Guest 1 total is $2350, Guest 2 shows a discount of $1100 for a total of $1250. Cruise total for two $3600. I recalculated using the highest rate on the room selection ($1769, plus 7% tax yields a Guest 1 charge of $1889 and Guest Two total of $1004 for a total for two of $2894. I cannot understand how RCL does the math, but I feel it is kind of underhanded to show one price, then a different one, and then not even getting a clear answer from the RCL agent. The agent re-ran numbers for me and she also arrived at a best price of $3600. All in all, $3600 for two for 12 night cruise is a very good deal, but it is frustrating that RCL is using "funny math" with their sale. Does anyone have an insight into how this sale and pricing actually works?

You've heard of new math, this is Royal Caribbean math.

Actually, cruise pricing is a bit confusing to follow. Royal Caribbean's method of computing the price is not straight forward. The best thing to do is too just look at the final price.

Edited by Cuizer2

I don't really care HOW they get to the final number, I'm just interested in what that number is. If I can spend a couple minutes with a calculator and figure it out, it's not bait and switch, no matter how funny the math might seem.

Excellent point. Look at the bottom line. If it is something you are willing to pay, book the cruise. If not, don't book it.

I don't think the current sale is a bait and switch. It's just a promotional handle and not really a sale in my opinion. Seems like Royal is hoping this will appeal to and attract new cruiser who might have the impression of actually getting a sale price.

And it's worked now for nearly a year.

I'll say "Amen" to that!! What is going to happen February 1st? I'm thinking of booking something' date=' but I think I might wait. Am I right.....did I read this in the fine print......you can't get the OBC AND your C&A balcony discount.....it's one or the other? It used to be so much easier to book cruises. I booked 12 last year.....no muss, no fuss.....no confusion. Arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!! I've hardly got anything booked right now and that makes me sad.[/size']

I don't know if it was easier to book in the past, but it was a lot easier to understand the cost.

I booked a GS on the Liberty of the Seas while on the Explorer of the Seas. The price quoted was $4,800 + $200 OBC. I showed a printout from the Royal Caribbean website showing a price of $3,800. I was told the $4,800 + $200 OBC was the best deal I could get. However, I could check with my travel agent, which I did after the cruise was over. I got the $3,800 price but lost the $200 OBC (still saving $800).

For me it's difficult to compare cruise line pricing and values since I've only cruised with NCL. My upcoming cruise with RCL will give me a better idea I hope.

But just for kicks I went to NCL and went through the booking process for a 7 night Western on the Epic. Mid-ship Balcony was $2093 (including taxes and fees) with a $200 OBC.

RCL 6 night Western on the Allure, same dates, similar room, $1835 (including taxes and fees) with a $200 OBC.

So although different cruise lines with many similarities, NCL was lower with no BOGOHO. I think RCL inflates the price of the first person and then gives half off second. To me this current sale is not a sale at all, just an advertising gimmick, IMHO.

That's exactly what it is. Its like department store pricing. Charge $50 MSRP for a $25 dollar shirt, and then blast "50% off!!!" everywhere.

These sales and promotions are just marketing gimmicks. At the end of the day that bottom line price is what matters, at least they show that immediately after 'picking' a stateroom.

I was hoping that Royal Caribbean would come up with a new strategy for pricing cabins, but I just received a notice that the VowforWOW sale will continue through February 13th.

Rick

I am beginning to wonder if maybe their IT department can't figure out how to disable the BOGOHO feature, so they extending the sale :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know if it was easier to book in the past, but it was a lot easier to understand the cost.

I booked a GS on the Liberty of the Seas while on the Explorer of the Seas. The price quoted was $4,800 + $200 OBC. I showed a printout from the Royal Caribbean website showing a price of $3,800. I was told the $4,800 + $200 OBC was the best deal I could get. However, I could check with my travel agent, which I did after the cruise was over. I got the $3,800 price but lost the $200 OBC (still saving $800).

I had just the opposite happen to me - was pricing out GS on Freedom over Thanksgiving last Fall and the cruise was coming in at $6,500 or so for three people. While I was sailing on Grandeur in Nov, I had LA price it out and it was about $5,600 or so plus $500 OBC, so I jumped all over it, and now the prices have jumped back up about $900 or so. The best advice was mentioned previously, know your budget and when the total cruise price falls in there, book it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just compare actual bottom line prices. Doesn't matter if it's a real sale, faux sale or no sale. If the bottom line is what I'm willing to pay, then I book it. If not, I look for something else that fits my wants.

Best post I've read today!!!!!