Just back from St. Barts

CaribbeanBound

e9a3c31120c33a53724d7fa4f46c78a1.jpg

Governors Beach, St Barth's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for reporting back about the rental car. I am really thinking about that option now, just so nervous about the narrow roads. Was Governors Beach your favorite beach?

Our new friends rented the car and the husband drove. Even my husband who loves to drive thought it was a bit hairy but I would go for it. Just be on alert and have a navigator! We went to many of the beaches and found a fabulous resort called the Hotel Christopher that had great rum punches. No beach but the pool area was stunning! Our favorite beach was definitely Flamands Beach. I would go back in a heartbeat to stay on that beach!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi!

We were there on a weekday, and did the walk 1st thing upon arriving to port, during what I would assume passes for rush hour. There was a steady flow of cars but most of the time there are generous shoulders that allow the cars to pass you at quite a comfortable margin. In the heart of town there are even sidewalks.

The one exception to this rule is during the immediate ascent out of the town itself up the hill toward the Christ statue. No sidewalks, and not much room on either side. One side of the street was lined with parked cars, so we would walk from car to car, and wait between them if there were cars passing. This situation exists for perhaps 200 yards, at the most. We were cautious and never felt unsafe.

The bright side to the traffic is that I think it would be a perfectly safe walk for a solo, female traveler. The road is well lit and well traveled. For most of it there are public businesses along it. There is one stretch where there is basically nothing but forest on each side, but the road is wide, with broad shoulders and well traveled. I would feel fine doing it again, alone.

And, for the record, received the new Victoria's Secret swimsuit catalog this week. I am not in it. :)

Enjoy your trip!

Hi Dennich - You and I are on the same exact page with the questions for Borrillje, who made me laugh with her description of her trek to St Jean Beach. My husband also would not be making this walk, but I am considering an attempt - also in March! Will you be on a cruise and, if so, what ship? We are on the Azamara Journey and will be visiting St Barts on Tuesday, March 22. Hope that Borrillje is still looking at these forums and comes back with an answer.

Therese from Maine

Hi!

We were there on a weekday, and did the walk 1st thing upon arriving to port, during what I would assume passes for rush hour. There was a steady flow of cars but most of the time there are generous shoulders that allow the cars to pass you at quite a comfortable margin. In the heart of town there are even sidewalks.

The one exception to this rule is during the immediate ascent out of the town itself up the hill toward the Christ statue. No sidewalks, and not much room on either side. One side of the street was lined with parked cars, so we would walk from car to car, and wait between them if there were cars passing. This situation exists for perhaps 200 yards, at the most. We were cautious and never felt unsafe.

The bright side to the traffic is that I think it would be a perfectly safe walk for a solo, female traveler. The road is well lit and well traveled. For most of it there are public businesses along it. There is one stretch where there is basically nothing but forest on each side, but the road is wide, with broad shoulders and well traveled. I would feel fine doing it again, alone.

And, for the record, received the new Victoria's Secret swimsuit catalog this week. I am not in it. :)

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for coming back and posting answers to our questions. I'll probably give that walk my best effort. If I had been in the area of a similar photo shoot, I would have been VERY happy not to be in the catalog! Happy Travels!

Therese

Hi!

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for responding. Your trip report is very encouraging. If I make it over to St. Jean beach as a solo female walker maybe I will stumble on the GQ, or a male equivalent to a Victoria's Secret shoot. :D

Thanks again for your detailed post! :)

• 1 month later...
Hi!

Enjoy your trip!

I wanted to report back on this that I did the walk to the airport and back as a solo female. I did not make it all the way to St. Jean beach as the weather was looking iffy and I had no suitable rain protection for my cameras with me. I spent around 30 minutes on the top of the hill overlooking the airport and I was rewarded with some great photos of a plane landing. I also got some rainbow shots and the end of the rainbow was exactly Eden Rock. That was like the dream shot for a photographer. :)

As already posted by Borrillje the walk never left me feeling unsafe. The roads are fairly wide for the most part and the traffic moves along fairly slow.