hawaii

Strawberryflds

Hi everyone....we are cruising in April from Sydney, Australia to Vancouver on the Oosterdam and was hoping to get some suggestions of accessible things to do and see in Nawiliwili Kauai and Honolulu in Hawaii. We would prefer to have a pre organised tour, but if this isn't possible would look at hiring a taxi for all or part of the day. I would love to see some volcanos from a helicopter.

It would all have to wheelchair friendly.

Thanks!

Thanks Essiesmom, ive had a browse through but am still hoping to find a tour that is wheelchair friendly. For just once we would like to be able to get on a bus/van and have someone give us a guided tour and then return us to the ship. Instead it looks like we are back to catching local buses and taxis and trying to work out the best places to see ourselves..for those that continually have to do this sometimes it can be really quite stressful. :(

The last time we were in Kauai we were able to get a tour through the ship (Princess) on a bus with a wheelchair lift to Waimea Canyon. It is a very nice drive, and my mother went in her power chair. We were able to get off at the various view points at the top if the canyon and the viewpoint access was mostly ramped.

There are no active volcanos on the two islands you are visiting (Kauai and Oahu). This is only available currently on the island of Hawaii (the "big" island).

Kauai is a great place to take a helicopter tour, as much of the island is not accessible by road. This company offers a lift equipped helicopter, and also can arrange transportation with a wheelchair lift to their heliport from the cruise ship pier: http://www.bluehawaiian.com/kauai/tours/

I think there are a couple of other companies there that do this as well on Kauai. I believe Princess uses Jack Harter helicopter tours: http://www.helicopters-kauai.com

You can usually save money booking directly with the tour operator rather than through the ship.

In Honolulu The Bus (public bus) is the best way to get around within the city, and all buses are wheelchair accessible. From the cruise ship terminal, you just need to go a couple of blocks over to King Street to get the bus to Waikiki. We found the Honolulu Aquarium (at the far east end of Waikiki Beach) to be quite accessible and a nice visit. You can then walk/wheel from there along the beach and see the surfers, big hotels, and shops, then catch The Bus back to the ship. There are some island tours from the ship that have accessible buses too. You have to be VERY specific about your needs when booking these tours on HAL or Princess.

Edited by Splinter

If you do go on a heli ride.... Big Island's volcano is my preference if there is a stop on that island. Ooops.... just had a look at your ship itinery and there is no stop at that island.

http://www.bluehawaiian.com/bigisland/video/Big_Island_Intro

Warning lava sightings are NOT guaranteed. It might just be a lot of steam.

A few tips...

• see if there is a DVD available for your personal trip. Mine was $30.
  • avoid talking on the trip.... the heli has cameras forward, left, right and inside the cabin. Everything you say will be saved on the DVD.

Edited by xlxo

You may want to check HAL's accessible tours too. They will probably have one in Honolulu to Pearl Harbor. We took Princess to Hawaii last year and I think each island had at least one wheelchair accessible tour. This year we are repeating the cruise and they have added additional accessible tours - including a couple of helicopter tours.

Hope you have a great trip.