Insurance Question...

I used CSA, purchased through insuremytrip - when my husband had to have bypass surgery and we had to cancel our cruise, the company quickly and easily refunded the entire amount.

I always used to purchase the insurance because of my husband's health issues. Now that he has passed, I still always purchase it from CSA even when traveling with my 2 grandchildren - you never know when an accident will happen, especially with kids! I think it's worth it for peace of mind.

Just an FYI when using insuremytrip.com or any other site to compare polices, when it comes to the cruise portion, only include your total cruise fare in the price. Anything else, like port taxes & fees, prepaid gratuities, beverage packages, shore excursions, specialty restaurants, etc. will be refunded back to you from RCI.

Edited by cruisenfever

Travel Guard. They were horrible. I was given the name of a woman in the RCI home office in Miami who was of great assistance. It was she who fought with Travel Guard to get us home

I always use Travel Guard for coverage. I find them very easy to deal with, and take out a policy with them directly. I'm sorry to hear of what happened to you, that's awful and no one should go through that. :( I always take out the extra rider that allows for evacuation to any location I choose. While I have not (knock on wood) needed to use the policy myself, I know someone who had, and it went seamless for them with that rider. I'll always make sure I had the extra evac coverage. Happy sails!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

This has been a big discussion in the Crystal Cruise Forum here on Cruise Critic... I finally left off with this...

I hope it helps and I strongly suggest that you research vcariouse policies since your situation maight be different from mine...

I wanted to let everyone know my outcome here!

I looked at several sites as well as my own Health Insurance policy and my insurance agents travel policies...

My agent offered a "Diplomat" Global Underwriters Policy... More of a Health insurance Policy...not truly geered for cruising as iit is geered for traveling to a foreign location and having health insurance.

Here is my post from the Crystal Forum...

I then did more research here on Cruise Critic and found tripinsurancestore.com and spoke with Steve who was a wealth of knowledge. For me and my situation I ended up purchasing Med Jet- for the Hospital to Hospital of my choice coverage and Global Alert for the Total Coverage Package geered for cruises. He offers several policies... Several mentioned Travelex and they are very similar so being able to research his site, speak with him and then making the purchase for my upcoming cruises is certainly piece of mind!

Thanks for all of your input and suggestions...

~Steve

Our case is presently going on: We have now and always in the past used TravelSafe Insurance and for one our trips to St Maarten we couldn't go for medical reasons and I only insured Airline Tickets and we were reimbursed the full amount for those:

Now as for the current situation we were going on the Independence of the Seas on Feb 22nd from Phila, Pa to FLL and our flight amongst many others were cancelled that day so after many hours on the phone we just decided with various gambles on flights, etc., it wasn't worth it so I cancelled the whole trip: Because USAir cancelled the flight they reimbursed us all of the money we put out for tickets and baggage. Now as to RCCL they reimbursed us taxes, port charges and gratuities, but (I didn't mention to agent we had insurance) nothing else, very apologetic, mentioned we should have had cruise care, but it is what it is. So as I type this statement all of the paper work leading up to the cancelled event is in the hands of TravelSafe. I should mention that we insured the total amount of our cruise part only of which came to a little more than $1600.00 and that fee was $200.00 cancel for any reason, etc. So as of now we are looking for a little more than $1200.00 from the insurance company.

I know an awful lot of persons suggest flying the day before, etc., but for us its just another added expense and inconvenience and we are fortunate to have an airport that has a lot of non-stops flights to were we want to go. So when its time to rebook for next year, just like all in the past we will do the same thing.

Our case is presently going on: We have now and always in the past used TravelSafe Insurance and for one our trips to St Maarten we couldn't go for medical reasons and I only insured Airline Tickets and we were reimbursed the full amount for those:

Now as for the current situation we were going on the Independence of the Seas on Feb 22nd from Phila, Pa to FLL and our flight amongst many others were cancelled that day so after many hours on the phone we just decided with various gambles on flights, etc., it wasn't worth it so I cancelled the whole trip: Because USAir cancelled the flight they reimbursed us all of the money we put out for tickets and baggage. Now as to RCCL they reimbursed us taxes, port charges and gratuities, but (I didn't mention to agent we had insurance) nothing else, very apologetic, mentioned we should have had cruise care, but it is what it is. So as I type this statement all of the paper work leading up to the cancelled event is in the hands of TravelSafe. I should mention that we insured the total amount of our cruise part only of which came to a little more than $1600.00 and that fee was $200.00 cancel for any reason, etc. So as of now we are looking for a little more than $1200.00 from the insurance company.

I know an awful lot of persons suggest flying the day before, etc., but for us its just another added expense and inconvenience and we are fortunate to have an airport that has a lot of non-stops flights to were we want to go. So when its time to rebook for next year, just like all in the past we will do the same thing.

Hi ronandcarla,

If you bought your TravelSafe policy from someone other than TravelSafe, make sure you get them involved in helping you with your claim now in the beginning. I believe that if someone profited from your business they have a moral obligation to help you with your claim. If you get the "you have to deal with the insurance company" line, that's technically true, but it doesn't mean they can't help you.

Here's a tip I hope will help you: write a cover letter explaining the entire story of what happened. You can send it in even though you sent your claim forms.

You said you had cancel for any reason. Are you submitting this as a cancel for any reason claim? If so, which TravelSafe policy did you have?

Steve

Major companies may cover you outside of the USA, but you have to pay your bill up front and then get the compensation yourself from your insurer.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Many, if not most, travel insurance policies work the exact same way.

Everyone's insurance coverage is different and Most US travelers are not covered by their regular insurance policy. Please check and do not assume!

That sounds like a very large assumption to me. I've been traveling internationally for 30+ years and I've had various health insurance policies/companies over that period of time. Each and every one has provided coverage for me while out of the country.

While I'm aware the some policies/companies don't provide coverage for someone when they're not in the U.S (Medicare for example), please provide a basis for your statement/assumption that "most US travelers are not covered by their regular insurance policy."

Please check and do not assume.

Edited by MadManOfBethesda
typo

That sounds like a very large assumption to me. I've been traveling internationally for 30+ years and I've had various health insurance policies/companies over that period of time. Each and every one has provided coverage for me while out of the country.

While I'm aware the some policies/companies don't provide coverage for someone when they're not in the U.S (Medicare for example), please provide a basis for your statement/assumption that "most US travelers are not covered by their regular insurance policy."

Please check and do not assume.

Thank you for your thoughts! The correct word is "Many" and if my comment at least gets someone to check out their own personal insurance coverage then I have done a service for other International Travelers.

"Many" travelers assume that if they have medical insurance then they would be covered anywhere they go.... Since that is not necessarily the case it is important to alert travelers to this fact.

Consider it a "public service" announcement that does get people's attention. I'm glad you have proper coverage, many do not!

Yes the word is Many, many, many.... Everyone do not assume you have medical coverage in any country but your own. Call your insurance provider and double check.