Super Bowl Ad

Working 2 Cruise

Respectfully disagree. At the risk of belaboring this, most of the shots are adult themed: Couple kissing at the railing, couple's massage, friends dining together, the two singles passing in the staircase. (There is one shot of a dad with his child in the pool, but that is aimed at families, to illustrate that CCL offers a product to everyone). The girl, and the boy at the end, are merely the messengers - they represent innocence and discovery, i.e. the people who have never cruised before, or who have just experienced their first cruise. The commercial effectively reaches out to the target audience with whimsy and no pretense.

Well, that's fine. I think you will agree that, if nothing else, people are talking about the ads and that is a good thing.

I thought that the ad was very aspirational - it created a strong desire "to be there." If the spot connects with individuals strongly enough - it might compel them to action to "be there" by booking a cruise. There was a significant challenge here in terms of messaging because the audience across the sister lines varies pretty significantly - as does the experience. What is highlighted is a universal experience - one that all cruisers can relate to - the feeling of expansiveness, the connection and admiration of the sea. There was a sense of authenticity as a result - it was an accurate representation of the experience. But there was also a powerful message of leadership - showing the flotilla of ships at the end really illustrates how BIG the corporation is. Something I'm sure they were trying to get across. That subtly tells the viewer that the corp offers you choices, variety, many options. You also feel confident about them because they are clearly very good at what they do, if they have such a strong presence.

As for me, I thought they nailed it. This is one of the key reasons I cruise. And why I choose Princess. I want that connection with the sea on a ship that feels like a ship - not an ocean-going mall or amusement park. (BTW, by not talking about amenities or other aspects of the onboard experience, they do a great job of differentiating themselves from lines like Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. Another important thing for advertising to do).

I didn't know about this ad till this morning when it popped up on reddit linking to this: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/02/01/creationist-ken-ham-is-angry-that-carnival-referenced-evolution-during-its-super-bowl-ad/

I then watched it and really liked it - I thought it was effective. And I'm way younger then the average cruiser.

And it's getting more press because it mentions evolution and creationists aren't happy.

Keep in mind Creationism is a very small subset of Christians.

Edited by Raamo

Listening to the ad, I thought (before the end) it was a public service announcement to preserve the seas, possibly by preventing global warming.

Howell's my 2 cents. I think it is a timeless ad. It speaks to those who have never cruised and to those who have. About the only people who it does not address are those who do not like the ocean.

As for not about cruising....I saw cruise ships in several scenes.

I think it will resonate more to those who were around while JFK was around, but it also speaks to everyone.

I though message in a bottle was cute, but it was more geared towards kids...

I mean Disney could have used to scenes with the kids and just put in clips of their own ships and voila a disney commercial.

As for being offensive to Christians....go figure. JFK was a Catholic and was accused of being in the Pope's pocket. I doubt if you could say he was not a true believer.

But, I will say JFK id have the sea in his veins. He grew up by the sea, sailed in the sea, fought and was shipwrecked in the sea.

I know of what he speaks. I grew up by the sea and it has captivated me ever since. That commercial would speak to me even if I had never cruised before, which was one of the goals of the ad.

I think it was a good choice....

Many ads can be categorized into product ads and institutional ads (to make you feel good about the company as a whole). So definitely this was more of the second type. Since the ships under the CCL umbrella represent a wide range (from the fun to the ones aiming from a strictly audience), it'll be hard to do a product ad for the all the brands.

I posted on FB about the ad being on the controversial side for one specific group, but one of my high school friends (who works in media in DC) thought it was disrespectful to use JFK. But Akman's post seems to be right on...to JFK, the ocean was very much a part of his life.

I would imagine CCL showed the ads to various focus groups who have never taken a cruise. So it could be possible that of those who voted while on a cruise may have selected a different ad (or there was a split between the bottle one and the cruise virgin one, which is the one that I liked the best because it's a bit provocative and humorous).

Just out of curiosity, I looked up where that quote came from. He was obviously speaking to people who were involved in saling and the sea.

Turns out it came from "Remarks in Newport at the Australian Ambassador's Dinner for the America's Cup Crews (383)," September 14, 1962,

Just out of curiosity, I looked up where that quote came from. He was obviously speaking to people who were involved in saling and the sea.

Turns out it came from "Remarks in Newport at the Australian Ambassador's Dinner for the America's Cup Crews (383)," September 14, 1962,

Great Info, thanks