Alaska Cruise with 9 Year Old

tasbm1

Hi tasbm1,

I took my 2 grandsons (ages 5 & 7) to Alaska this past summer. I was worried about how they would do but they loved it. I knew they enjoyed the excursions but it wasn't until I heard them telling some adult friends of mine about the trip that I knew how much fun they really had. There is nothing better than hearing a child explain something special they have done. I also purchased age appropriate books to help them understand what they would be seeing.

When we planned the "big" excursions, they were allowed to listen to what was offered and cast a vote for what sounded like fun to them. They liked the helicopter/dogsledding and a fishing adventure with a cookout. These are pricey but grandparents are allowed to indulge grandchildren and I booked both excursions, one being in Juneau, the other in Ketchikan. The price range for excursions are wide and I'm sure you will find something he will enjoy. Let him be part of the decision making process after you have looked at what's offered and is allowed for his age.

For days on the ship, the boys found plenty to do. They liked having a pool available and went swimming just about every day. They went to the kids club on sea days. They also enjoyed watching for various forms of sea life with whales being their number one choice.

I hope this helps you.

We always cruise the Caribbean and were thinking of doing something new. Alaska sounds fun for my husband and I, but what about a 9 yo boy? What kind of excursions would be for kids?

Just got back from a trip with 4 & 7 year-old boys. Took them to a sled dog camp & whale watching as well as the lumberjack show. They LOVED it. Even though they couldn't wait to go to the kid's club every day, they both said their favorite part of the trip was seeing the glacier!

Barb

We did the White Pass RR trip. I know my grandkids love trains and this ride is pretty spectacular--deep gorges, cliffs, etc. Not outrageously expensive either. We also did an inexpensive fish hatchery tour combined with a trip to Mendenhall glacier and another excursion which highlighted Native American Alaskan culture-- totem poles, etc. I guess it would depend on the interests and maturity of your 9 yr old. Alaska was amazing. I hope you all have a wonderful cruise!

Archived