Book Onboard but Pay with Can Funds?

dvcdisney

Hi. I tried to search for this topic, but did not find anything about it. If I've missed it please direct me to the threads.

I have a few questions about booking the Next Cruise Certificate:

1. When I booked my upcoming cruise it was paid in Canadian funds. I would like to book onboard to get the benefits, but...is it possible to pay in Canadian funds onboard?

2. I have a specific cruise in mind. If I book it now so I don't lose the stateroom, is it possible for me to "re-shop" onboard (meaning, can I transfer my booking to a next cruise booking to get the onboard benefits)?

3. If the answer to question 2 is yes, would it be an issue if my original booking is in Canadian $?

I would prefer to keep my bookings in Canadian currency but if I have to change it over to US $ to get the onboard booking benefits, I don't think I would bother with it.

I would really appreciate any information and suggestions. As this is our first RCCL, this board has been so helpful.

Edited by dvcdisney

Hi. I tried to search for this topic, but did not find anything about it. If I've missed it please direct me to the threads.

I have a few questions about booking the Next Cruise Certificate:

1. When I booked my upcoming cruise it was paid in Canadian funds. I would like to book onboard to get the benefits, but...is it possible to pay in Canadian funds onboard?

2. I have a specific cruise in mind. If I book it now so I don't lose the stateroom, is it possible for me to "re-shop" onboard (meaning, can I transfer my booking to a next cruise booking to get the onboard benefits)?

3. If the answer to question 2 is yes, would it be an issue if my original booking is in Canadian $?

I would prefer to keep my bookings in Canadian currency but if I have to change it over to US $ to get the onboard booking benefits, I don't think I would bother with it.

I would really appreciate any information and suggestions. As this is our first RCCL, this board has been so helpful.

1. Yes you can book your next cruise on board in Canadian funds. We have always done this and the $100 pp deposit has been in CDN$ charged to our CDn$ credit card.

2. The answer to this I was told is no but there is a way around that. I was told by the LA that they can only create new bookings and they are not allowed to cancel or modify bookings. You could create a booking now to secure your cabin and cancel it just before boarding then see the LA the first day and hope that your room had not been taken. Also note that doing this you are cancelling the first booking and then re booking at the current rates which could be higher.

3. Not applicable.

Hope you have seen the thread for CDN cruisers about purchasing OBC ahead of time for your cruise at a 110% exchange rate.

Here is a link to that thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159570

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1. Yes you can book your next cruise on board in Canadian funds. We have always done this and the $100 pp deposit has been in CDN$ charged to our CDn$ credit card.

2. The answer to this I was told is no but there is a way around that. I was told by the LA that they can only create new bookings and they are not allowed to cancel or modify bookings. You could create a booking now to secure your cabin and cancel it just before boarding then see the LA the first day and hope that your room had not been taken. Also note that doing this you are cancelling the first booking and then re booking at the current rates which could be higher.

3. Not applicable.

Hope you have seen the thread for CDN cruisers about purchasing OBC ahead of time for your cruise at a 110% exchange rate.

Here is a link to that thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159570

Thank you so much for the info. I think I will need to decide if I want to take the chance of waiting to book onboard. But it's great to know that I can pay with Canadian funds onboard.

I understand that they can't cancel a previous booking, but do they have access to the booking? Essentially, can they go in and change the stateroom on my original booking, then book my stateroom onboard and get the benefits, and then I can cancel the booking myself after?

And yes, I did read about the discussion about purchasing the OBC ahead of time. It was a great tip. I may add to my small current OBC but likely not much. We don't really spend a lot on our cruises and since I prepaid my gratuities and ordered the beverage and specialty dining, I think we may just not bother. We've only been on Disney Cruises and we usually on purchase an occasional specialty coffee or a smoothie and perhaps a photo album or a little souvenir. But thanks for the link!

Edited by dvcdisney

Thank you so much for the info. I think I will need to decide if I want to take the chance of waiting to book onboard. But it's great to know that I can pay with Canadian funds onboard.

I understand that they can't cancel a previous booking, but do they have access to the booking? Essentially, can they go in and change the stateroom on my original booking, then book my stateroom onboard and get the benefits, and then I can cancel the booking myself after?

And yes, I did read about the discussion about purchasing the OBC ahead of time. It was a great tip. I may add to my small current OBC but likely not much. We don't really spend a lot on our cruises and since I prepaid my gratuities and ordered the beverage and specialty dining, I think we may just not bother. We've only been on Disney Cruises and we usually on purchase an occasional specialty coffee or a smoothie and perhaps a photo album or a little souvenir. But thanks for the link!

Unfortunately not. They can't access or make changes to existing reservations in order to apply the next cruise benefits to previously booked cruises.

Thought of a better wary for you to get your room with much less risk of losing it.

Book your room that you want now. That will require the full deposit amount. Book any room in the exact same category that sleeps the same number of people on board getting the OBC and reduced deposit. Once you get home you can call C&A and cancel the reservation that you made prior to your cruise and then they can move those rooms to your cruise that you booked on board.

Remember that if the price goes up between the 2 bookings you will pay the higher price.

For the deposits on the first cruise...you can have that issued as a refund to the credit card that you booked with or you should also be able to have that amount transferred over to the new cruise if you want.

I would just add that be very, very clear that you want it in Canadian dollars because they make mistakes and if they put it through in US$ you will be stuck with that no matter how far you elevate the issue.

That's exactly the reason that I always schedule an appointment with the LA even if it is just to book a next cruise. I never just fill out the form and leave it for them to do later.

Unfortunately not. They can't access or make changes to existing reservations in order to apply the next cruise benefits to previously booked cruises.

Thought of a better wary for you to get your room with much less risk of losing it.

Book your room that you want now. That will require the full deposit amount. Book any room in the exact same category that sleeps the same number of people on board getting the OBC and reduced deposit. Once you get home you can call C&A and cancel the reservation that you made prior to your cruise and then they can move those rooms to your cruise that you booked on board.

Remember that if the price goes up between the 2 bookings you will pay the higher price.

For the deposits on the first cruise...you can have that issued as a refund to the credit card that you booked with or you should also be able to have that amount transferred over to the new cruise if you want.

Thank you! I think that's the best way I can ensure I get the stateroom I want. I do understand that the price onboard may be different. That's basically the reason I wanted to book it before I cruise. I didn't want to until I have one booked onboard. If the price is considerably more, I won't bother.

I would just add that be very, very clear that you want it in Canadian dollars because they make mistakes and if they put it through in US$ you will be stuck with that no matter how far you elevate the issue.

That's exactly the reason that I always schedule an appointment with the LA even if it is just to book a next cruise. I never just fill out the form and leave it for them to do later.

I will definitely take both of your suggestions. Thank you.