Booking for Easter. Thoughts & ideas.

mitsugirly

This will be the first time that we have sailed during Easter Sunday. I did not even realize that our Spring Break was during Easter until the other day.

Do they do anything "special" for Easter? Is there an Easter Dinner at the MDR that day? What do they normally have?

Any pictures opportunities for a photo with a "bunny"? LOL

We have a 6 year old that will be with us. Now I'm wondering what we should do for her. She usually always gets an Easter basket, but I'm not sure that would be the greatest thing to do while on a cruise...that already has tons of food to begin with.

What about an easter egg hunt? Do the ships ever do anything like that in maybe the kids club area for the children? Maybe I should bring our own and do something in the room?

Looking for any suggestions from others who have kids and have sailed during this time.

Thanks in advance. :)

We sailed last Easter on Royal Caribbean. I'm not sure what Carnival does but I can give you some info on what RC did.

They did have some Easter functions. Photos opportunities with a bunny, Easter activities in kids area and we are pretty sure they had an egg hunt although none of us remember doing it.

We always do a basket for our daughter too. Instead of brining one we had one at the house for when we returned...gave her something to look forward to coming back to reality.

Hope that helps a little. Have a great cruise.

Why don't you do a non-food Easter basket. Instead of a wicker basket get her a special back-pack, put in a few stuffed animals, a coloring book with crayons or wash off markers, some soft cover books with stories you can read together at bedtime, a fancy new bathing suit and some girly, girly flip flops or beach shoes. A cute hat, hair accessories, a cheap disposable camera so she can take family pictures. Lastly fill a few plastic eggs with dollar bills that she can spend choosing souvenirs. Oh, I could go on and on.

Why don't you do a non-food Easter basket. Instead of a wicker basket get her a special back-pack, put in a few stuffed animals, a coloring book with crayons or wash off markers, some soft cover books with stories you can read together at bedtime, a fancy new bathing suit and some girly, girly flip flops or beach shoes. A cute hat, hair accessories, a cheap disposable camera so she can take family pictures. Lastly fill a few plastic eggs with dollar bills that she can spend choosing souvenirs. Oh, I could go on and on.

Please do go on. Only this time please give me some ideas for 6 and 9 year old boys. :D

Im not sure about activities but if you dont want to pack all the stuff for the basket you can always buy things on the boat. A fun ship Freddie, a little candy, a cute necklace. Buy them the day before and just hide it in the room for the morning. They have many shops on board with inexpensive things. Or you can order a package through carnival with bon voyage http://www.carnival.com/FunShops/gift-ideas/fun-packages

http://www.carnival.com/FunShops/food-and-desserts/gourmet-sweets

And have them bring it to your room in the morning.

Edited by amberxob

Please do go on. Only this time please give me some ideas for 6 and 9 year old boys. :D

Tee shirts with a fun family picture on the front, inexpensive hand held non-electronic games (my great nephews loved trying to be the first to get all the balls in the slots), a Carnival baseball cap, cool looking surfer shorts, a snorkel for beach days and fun in the pool, plastic playing cards and a lesson in solitude and free cell for quiet times, again the camera (you can buy a cheap digital one for 20 bucks if they are old enough), a fun thermos cup so they can carry around their drinks without chance of spilling, a hackey sack....hope these are helpful.

When my son found out we were going to be on the boat on Easter (Day 2 of the cruise and a sea day) he was afraid that the Easter Bunny wouldn't know where we were so I want to have a little something.

I think I am going to do gift bags with tissue. Very easy and flat to pack. I will probably pack some candy/$1 store stuff (i have to have a Reeses egg to steal). I like the idea of getting something from the gift shop and travel related stuff. Maybe sunscreen, goggles.

I have heard that they do an egg hunt, but I certainly don't know that for a fact.

Edited by amyh13

We sailed last Easter on Royal Caribbean. I'm not sure what Carnival does but I can give you some info on what RC did.

They did have some Easter functions. Photos opportunities with a bunny, Easter activities in kids area and we are pretty sure they had an egg hunt although none of us remember doing it.

We always do a basket for our daughter too. Instead of brining one we had one at the house for when we returned...gave her something to look forward to coming back to reality.

Hope that helps a little. Have a great cruise.

Oh gosh yes..photo opportunities with the Easter bunny. I sure hope they do something like this. It would be awesome if they did an egg hunt. She would love that.

My youngest son isn't going on this cruise with us this time around (he's 20) so maybe I'll have him put out an Easter basket while we are gone for her to come home to as well. Just as a little surprise.

I'm liking the idea of some type of small back pack or little carrying bag. Then she would be able to also carry her things when we are in port going to the beach. Awesome idea. I just have to find the perfect one now. :D

Thanks for the wonderful ideas. I will have to start looking for small items now. I'm liking this. I like the idea of the plastic eggs with the money in them too. That way she can feel like a big girl and purchase her own souvenirs while in port as well.

Im not sure about activities but if you dont want to pack all the stuff for the basket you can always buy things on the boat. A fun ship Freddie, a little candy, a cute necklace. Buy them the day before and just hide it in the room for the morning. They have many shops on board with inexpensive things. Or you can order a package through carnival with bon voyage http://www.carnival.com/FunShops/gift-ideas/fun-packages

http://www.carnival.com/FunShops/food-and-desserts/gourmet-sweets

And have them bring it to your room in the morning.

Awesome! Thanks for the link. I definitely see some things that interest me for sure.

I have heard that they do an egg hunt, but I certainly don't know that for a fact.

That would be awesome. I hope someone will see this thread that has sailed with Carnival over Easter to confirm.

I just asked John Heald on his Facebook page if there were any special activities for kids or menu items. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Oh excellent idea. I hadn't thought of that. I'll keep my eyes open and please do let me know if he responds. Thanks for thinking of this. :)

I think John has folks that help monitor his site. Got some comments back (not from John) but didn't find them very helpful. Nothing that says historically what Carnival has done.

I'll keep looking and keep you posted if I hear anything.

I think John has folks that help monitor his site. Got some comments back (not from John) but didn't find them very helpful. Nothing that says historically what Carnival has done.

I'll keep looking and keep you posted if I hear anything.

Thanks so much! :)

We were on the Dream last April on Easter Sunday. We were a group of 10 adults so I didn't look for anything particular for children that pertained to Easter. I did make goodie bags for everyone with Easter candy. In the MDR that night our wait staff did give us candy. We thought that was very nice.

We are disembarking the Dream on Easter Sunday this year. I did email Carnival and they said there would be an egg hunt but were not sure about a bunny. I am planning to bring some easily packable Easter goodies for my girls to be surprised with on Easter, along with a note from the bunny saying that he left their big baskets at home for them. I may even take one of those small egg dying kits and see if I can order hard boiled eggs from room service to color on one of our sea days. :) also in talking about a bag for your daughter, I don't know if you are familiar with thirty-one bags, if not you can google it. But right now they have a really cute cinch sac type bag with an anchor and you can personalize it. I got one for each of my girls to carry some of their things in for the cruise. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We didn't realize it when we booked, but we will be boarding our cruise on Easter Sunday. We will be flying in to San Juan to get on the Liberty so I am trying to think of ideas for an 8 year old girl that I can purchase once we are there. (we fly in 2 days early)

I'm thinking instead of a basket I may get a small sand bucket and fill it with goodies. Maybe a cute pair of flip flops, an inflatable float for the beach, sun hat, and of course some candy.

In the past, when our children were small, and we traveled during a gift-giving holiday, we would pack one or two small items, and a note from the Easter Bunny or Santa stating that he went to their house and realized they were on vacation. So he left most of the stuff at their house, but brought them these few items so they didn't have to wait.

That way you're not schlepping all that stuff both to and from your vacation.

Enjoy your cruise!

We are disembarking the Dream on Easter Sunday this year. I did email Carnival and they said there would be an egg hunt but were not sure about a bunny. I am planning to bring some easily packable Easter goodies for my girls to be surprised with on Easter, along with a note from the bunny saying that he left their big baskets at home for them. I may even take one of those small egg dying kits and see if I can order hard boiled eggs from room service to color on one of our sea days. :) also in talking about a bag for your daughter, I don't know if you are familiar with thirty-one bags, if not you can google it. But right now they have a really cute cinch sac type bag with an anchor and you can personalize it. I got one for each of my girls to carry some of their things in for the cruise. Good luck!!

Good idea about the note from the bunny leaving the basket. I may just have to do that as well. (Our elf on the shelf, Trixie, leaves notes...I wonder if she'll recognize the fancy handwriting. LOL)

Yep, very familiar with thirty-one...all the nurses have them. :D I will definitely have to check it out and see if I can find the bag you are talking about. (Hey, truth be known, moma may like this too and have to get a matching one depending on the sizes available). :p Thanks for this info.

We didn't realize it when we booked, but we will be boarding our cruise on Easter Sunday. We will be flying in to San Juan to get on the Liberty so I am trying to think of ideas for an 8 year old girl that I can purchase once we are there. (we fly in 2 days early)

I'm thinking instead of a basket I may get a small sand bucket and fill it with goodies. Maybe a cute pair of flip flops, an inflatable float for the beach, sun hat, and of course some candy.

Sounds like you are in the same "boat" as I am leaving on the same day as Easter. I would have much rather preferred leaving on Saturday and having all day Sunday to prepare for this, but it's now a little complicated leaving the same day. LOL

I'll have to come up with different options since my munchkin already has her sand buckets and supplies that she takes on every cruise. :)

In the past, when our children were small, and we traveled during a gift-giving holiday, we would pack one or two small items, and a note from the Easter Bunny or Santa stating that he went to their house and realized they were on vacation. So he left most of the stuff at their house, but brought them these few items so they didn't have to wait.

That way you're not schlepping all that stuff both to and from your vacation.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks. There will be no schlepping of stuff while cruising. It would just get to be too much. :D

We did an Easter cruise on the Carnival Legend a few years back when my daughter was 5. (Review is in my siggy.)

Anyway, I was hoping for something special, but other than the terminal employees wearing bunny ears and Easter buttons, there was nothing really extraordinary to celebrate the holiday. In fact, my daughter boarded the ship in tears because she was pulled into the "naughty room" at the terminal and had her cheap plastic squirt guns that the Easter bunny brought her confiscated.

Speaking of Easter bunny, instead of a basket of goodies, he brought DD a plastic sand bucket full of goodies like beach balls, squirting fish, and various other water toys, including the oh-so-threatening pink plastic squirt guns. There were also candies like M&Ms and other sweet toppings DD could add to her ice cream while on board.

Despite the rough start and lack of any acknowledgement of the holiday, it was a really nice cruise!

:D

Edited by Lady_Jag

Mitsugirly if you are getting to your port a day early check out any Easter activities there as well. We are leaving from New Orleans and I'm taking my girls to an Easter egg hunt at City Park the day before our cruise.

I found something on Funville from 2012 that says they had an Easter egg hunt. My cruise is an 8 day, from Saturday to the following Sunday with Easter being Day 2, a sea day.

It probably differs from ship to ship as Easter may fall on Embarkation/Debarkation, which makes it a little trickier.

My boys are teens now, but when they were little I always double-purposed something as a "basket." My favorite idea was a big plastic dump truck, with all the goodies in the back. Don't think that is practical for a cruise, but some other things I used were beach pails, drawstring bags, etc. We are boarding Sensation this year on Easter Sunday. I'm curious to see what they'll do onboard. Maybe at least a bunny towel animal? [emoji4]