Foreign aid for hurricane?

I was thinking the same thing....I haven't seen mention of any foreign aid or even messages of support from foreign leaders, though I am turning away from the t.v. lately as it is just so troubling to see the devastation over and over. Has there been any international response to our catastrophe?

From Fox News/N. Cavuto:

Maybe I missed it, but I have a question: Where's the global relief effort for us today?

New Orleans (search) is under water. Mississippi (search) is a disaster. Scores are dead. Homes are destroyed. Businesses are shut down.

When this kind of stuff happens to other folks, we're there. When this kind of stuff happens to us, who's here?

I know we're a rich country. But I think it a bit rich so few call to wish us well in this country. Perhaps some have and perhaps I've missed it.

Still, others never miss a chance to bash us if we've done something wrong or done nothing at all.

All I know is a lot of poor folks here got hit here. Would it kill the same foreigners we've helped there, to offer support here?

I don't expect a telethon. But how about a call on a telephone?

Maybe some countries have offered rescue personnel. I just haven't seen them. I'll keep looking. I'll keep waiting. I'll keep wondering.

All I know is for now, the silence is deafening. And the water in New Orleans isn't the only thing that stinks.

What do you expect to hear within forty-eight hours of the disaster? The news networks have only been carrying the story of the disaster as it unfolds and nothing else. All the field reporters are on-scene. Nobody knows the extent of the disaster. Do you really think Sri Lanka has the means to materially help or even has heard of this terrible event? OPEC has said they will increase production to help offset the shortage of oil and I think Canada has sent some rescue teams to the area but not sure they can get in yet.

In fact, it's time for all of us to contibute in someway to help with this emergency with financial donations to our favorite charity that covers disasters. i.e, Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc. I know http://www.AirTran.com has a link to redirect to the various charitys to contribute. I think this is much more important than those that are worried about how they can get the cruiseline to provide free mixes for their smuggled booze on their cruise.

Makes me wonder where our priorities are.

As has been stated, Canada has offered assistance. The Canadian Red Cross has also collected a great deal of money already to help. As we did during the September 11 crisis, Canada was an incredibly supportive neighbour. I find the Fox News story to be insulting and feel it was created for no positive purpose. Your repeating it while stating that you have turned away from the news seems ridiculous.

I too wonder about the lack of response from other countries. Unfortunatly, some of the responses may not be what we would like, ie....the people who were dancing in the streets in response to 9/11. Because the US is considered to be such a wealthy nation the rest of the world may not be as sympathetic to our plight as they would be to other countries.

I know the Canadian government offered assistance but was told that the US felt they could handle it on their own. :( We DID try.

QUOTE]

I knew there was a reason I love Canada.

Thank you

-Monte

We're very fond of you, too. The radio morning shows have said at almost every turn how you can help (send money, not clothes or other hard to coordinate items). It is a sad week for the world, what with the devastation in Katrina's path and the hundreds of folks who died in that bridge disaster in that Iraq bridge stampede.

Ilionite. For goodness sakes. The disaster is still developing. We in the US don't even know the extent of the tragedy. The mayor of NO and the governor of La are still in the dark as to the severity. It looks like the city of NO and some surrounding parishes will be abandoned and toatally evacuated. They haven't even began counting the dead yet. It's best to worry about what we ourselves can do to help. There is enough misery in this event to think about rather than looking for others to criticize. So far I'm not reading any sympothy or compassion in this thread. That is sad.

What's really important?

Ilionite. For goodness sakes. The disaster is still developing. We in the US don't even know the extent of the tragedy. The mayor of NO and the governor of La are still in the dark as to the severity. It looks like the city of NO and some surrounding parishes will be abandoned and toatally evacuated. They haven't even began counting the dead yet. It's best to worry about what we ourselves can do to help. There is enough misery in this event to think about rather than looking for others to criticize. So far I'm not reading any sympothy or compassion in this thread. That is sad.

What's really important?

Well said. USAToday.com has an amazing slide show on their web-site that shows the maginitude of the damage. It is impossible to look at it without being overwhelemed by the lost and the forever-changed lives invovled. I don't know if they can or would rebuild the city but I'm sure there are going to be some incredibly fearful people if they ever have to move back to this area. That said, where would they go? It is simply beyond comprehension why these things happen

What's really important?

All I was doing was responding to the op's post. Why would you jump all over me? I feel immense compassion for those affected by this tragedy and I expressed my concern in a post before the hurricame even hit! I really don't like being portrayed as being unfeeling and don't see where my post criticized anything! I guess that you are just really upset over this disaster, as are we all!

I saw on the local news ticker (Vancouver) this morning that my province has sent rescue teams and such.

I think you will find in general that Canada does not make your local news too often, so I am not surprised that you have not seen/heard anything about what Canada is doing to help.

Also, keep in mind that there is so much co-operation between the two countries on this kind of thing that maybe it is not really considered newsworthy.

Another good example is with forest fires - in the Pacific Northwest and Western Canada fire teams often work the whole area together.

So I think it is not like anyone is going to make some big announcement and say hey look- Canada is helping - same as with 9/11 - I think it is basically just expected.

So don't worry - it is done in maybe a more discreet way but it is being done from our end.

Beth and Cruisemom. I remember reading a posting on the old Cruise Critic msg boards after 9-11 how the folks of Halifax bent over backwards to welcome and care for cruisers returning to the US from Europe. Planes were deverted to Halifax and the airport was full of planes and people. The local residents and government agencys provided food and shelter. Some took the cruisers to their homes and or tours of the area. KInd of kept them entertained and informed in that very trying time for everyone. Canada IS family.

What's really important?

The sympathy and compassion are a given, at this stage. Give me a break. It will be a long time before we know the full extent of the damage - another obvious comment. What we do know is that its a catastrophe of record proportions and the costs (both human and monetary) are incomprehensible. I asked a question as to whether foreign aid has been offered, as it seems we (the U.S.) are spread a bit thin at the moment in terms of people and resources to help in this domestic crisis. At first glimpse, this tragedy seems like it will put an enormous strain on our country, i.e. oil in the short-haul. When I think of foreign aid, Canada and the U.K. are usually the first by our side. I was thinking bigger - perhaps the EU, Japan, the U.N.? It would be nice to think our home-grown catastrophe is being recognized on the world stage, as there's a good chance we may need some help here.

One thing we can all do is help out in whatever way we can whether we're American citizens or not. These pictures remind me so much of the tsunami that hit Indonesia so let's just do the best we can for our fellow humans. I have to say that I was getting down last night when I was wondering the same thing "where's our help", but then I thought we don't know what others are trying to do because we're in the thick of it now and don't hear about the other media sources. Let's just keep everyone in our prayers and help out as much as we can, these are just my thoughts.

Debbie

ilionite. The concern today should be for the people of the gulf states and their needs, not what a few hatefilled people did almost four years ago. NOthing we do today can change the past. Let's all keep focused on what is important today for for the next year or more.

August 30, 2005 --The Government of Canada today issued the following statement in support of those who have endured the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina in the United States:

“On behalf of all Canadians, I wish to extend our heartfelt condolences to those who have lost loved ones as a result of Hurricane Katrina, as well as our sympathies to those who have suffered great losses and personal hardship,” said Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan. “During this difficult time, we are offering our support to our friends and neighbours.”

The Deputy Prime Minister added that she has contacted U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and advised him that Canada stands ready to provide assistance if needed. In addition, the Minister of Health, Ujjal Dosanjh, has directed the Public Health Agency of Canada to contact the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and offer any assistance that may be helpful, such as emergency medical supplies contained in the National Emergency Stockpile System.

Foreign Affairs Minister Pierre Pettigrew echoed the comments made by the Deputy Prime Minister and expressed relief that no Canadians had been reported dead or missing. “We have successfully contacted the majority of those Canadians who are registered with our missions and who may have been affected by the disaster,” said Minister Pettigrew. “We are confident that the U.S. authorities are deploying all possible efforts to assist them.”

“An advisory warning Canadians against all travel to the North Central Gulf Coast from Morgan City, Louisiana, eastward to the Alabama/Florida border, including the city of New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain, was posted on August 28th,” noted Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs Dan McTeague. He added that Canadians in these areas have been advised to follow the advice of the local authorities.

Canadians with good reason to believe that Canadian friends or relatives are in the affected areas may contact Foreign Affairs Canada's Emergency Operations Centre at

1-800-267-6788, or in Ottawa at (613) 944-6788.

I have heard this voiced on Talk Radio and at work this week, and it frankly is out of place and unwarranted. How many of these people who are critical are overseas watching other country's news broadcasts and are monitoring other countries efforts? The reason we knew what we were doing for other countries in past crises is because we are here and we were here. The reason we may not have heard "if" anyone is doing anything for us is because we are not there.

And what do we want some of the countries we have helped recently to do? Do we really believe that those affected by the Tsunami in Indonesia, India, and Sri Lanka are in a place to help? Do we want them to send us cases of water, food, clothes and money when they barely have enough for themselves right now? Even prior to their own crisis, they had little to offer. We should consider ourselves fortunate to have the resources to share, and the desire to help others when we can.

As for other wealthier nations out there willing to help, they usually do, and without a lot of the fanfare and the public relations that we here in the States are so good at. Help comes in many forms and just because it isn’t wildly publicized by our press, doesn’t mean it isn’t happening.

ilionite. The concern today should be for the people of the gulf states and their needs, not what a few hatefilled people did almost four years ago. NOthing we do today can change the past. Let's all keep focused on what is important today for for the next year or more.

I really don't think I need to be reminded what the concern for now and the forseeable future is. That doesn't mean that we can't discuss other topics. We are all really on the same team here, let's not make this about who's more symathetic. My prayers and support go to those experiencing this tragedy.

My ex-son-in-law is now stranded here in California. He lives in the flood zone of New Orleans. The Zone that is flooded is HUGE. He works close to downtown, so he won't be going to work any time soon.

Continuing and developing information suggests that this is the FIRST city to be entirely shut down due to the devastation and continuing rising waters. Obviously, Mississippi is also a huge disaster area.

I guess my biggest question is not about "foreign aid" but rather a HUGE showing of aid here in this country for our own. All the "Stars" came out in support of the Tsunami disaster. Kudos to them that volunteered their time and money to help. I only hope they can rally together to help the over million people that have been affected by this devastation right here in the good old USA.

My heart goes out to all the families that have been affected by Katrina's wrath.

Tinker: I'm sure there will be a number of effots made, both domestically and internationally, to help these people. I think it will be over a week before the death toll (sadly) and the proprty damage can be understood. For now, let's just hope that those who have been ordered to evacuate will cooperate so that resources can be best used to cope with this disaster. I admit it irks me how much effort is required to rescue those who ignored the first evacuation because they felt they had to protect their stuff.

I know the Canadian government offered assistance but was told that the US felt they could handle it on their own. :( We DID try.

QUOTE]

Thank you

-Monte

Thank you Monte. I love the US too. Lord knows I spend enough time there so I'd better. :D What affects your country affects us too.

Beth

Archived