Foreign aid for hurricane?

Just heard that between the red cross and FEMA therre are 500 trucks of ice, 500 trucks of water and 500 trucks of food waiting to get into the area.

One navy ship coming from Texas and four from Norfolk.

Instead of wondering what other countries have or haven't done or will or won't do, I wonder what WE will do. What aid will YOU send?

My check is written - how bout everyone else on CC? And yes, it's coming out of my vacation fund. So I put off a vacation for a while.

Red cross, Salvation Army, your church/synagogue/temple/whatever....

My financial institute will match my donation $1 for ever $2 I give - you bet I'm making sure I send my check via them.

And remember, it's not just today, but next month, and Thanksgiving and CHristmas/Hannukah/Kwanza/Solstice/whatever and beyond. It will take a long time for these folks to recover.

ap_small.gif

Katrina Prompts Global Support for Victims

By DANICA KIRKA, Associated Press Writer1 hour, 12 minutes ago

From papal prayers to telegrams from China, the world reacted with an outpouring of compassion Wednesday for the victims of Hurricane Katrina in messages tinged by shock that a disaster of this scale could occur in the United States.

Islamic extremists rejoiced in America's misfortune, giving the storm a military rank and declaring in Internet chatter that "Private" Katrina had joined the global jihad, or holy war. With "God's help," they declared, oil prices would hit $100 a barrel this year.

Venezuela's government, which has had tense relations with Washington, offered humanitarian aid and fuel if requested.

The storm was seen as an equalizer — proof that any country, weak or strong, can be victimized by a natural disaster. Images of flood-ravaged New Orleans earned particular sympathy in central Europe, where dozens died in raging floodwaters only days ago.

"Nature proved that no matter how rich and economically developed you are, you can't fight it," says Danut Afasei, a local official in Romania's Harghita county, where flooding killed 13 people last week.

Throughout Europe, concerned citizens lamented the loss of life and the damage caused to New Orleans, often described as one of North America's most "European" cities.

French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder sent messages of sympathy to President Bush. Chirac, who has famously quarreled with Bush over the Iraq war, addressed this letter, "Dear George."

Pope Benedict XVI said he was praying for victims of the "tragic" hurricane while China's President Hu Jintao expressed his "belief that that the American people will definitely overcome the natural disaster and rebuild their beautiful homeland."

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II also sent a message to Bush saying she was "deeply shocked and saddened" at the devastation caused by the hurricane and expressing her condolences, "especially to the families of those who have lost their lives, to the injured and to all who have been affected by this terrible disaster."

The U.S. Embassy in Bern, Switzerland — a capital at the foot of the Alps hit by flooding last week — said calls were rushing in from Swiss individuals and institutions looking for a way to donate to relief efforts.

"We are getting calls from the Swiss public looking to express their condolences, (and) people are also asking for an account number where they can make donations," said spokesman Daniel Wendell.

The Internet-edition Vienna daily Der Standard had recorded 820 postings commenting on a front-page story on the hurricane. In one of the postings, signature "Emerald" asked where money could be donated to the victims, but the question sparked a debate about whether a rich country like the United States needed such aid.

In response, one posting, from signature "far out," argued that hurricane victims who are poor still needed support.

Amid the sympathy, however, there was criticism.

As U.S. military engineers struggled to shore up breached levees, experts in the Netherlands expressed surprise that New Orleans' flood systems failed to restrain the raging waters.

With half of the country's population of 16 million living below sea level, the Netherlands prepared for a "perfect storm" soon after floods in 1953 killed 2,000 people. The nation installed massive hydraulic sea walls.

"I don't want to sound overly critical, but it's hard to imagine that (the damage caused by Katrina) could happen in a Western country," said Ted Sluijter, spokesman for the park where the sea walls are exhibited. "It seemed like plans for protection and evacuation weren't really in place, and once it happened, the coordination was on loose hinges."

The sympathy was muted in some corners by a sense that the United States reaped what it sowed, since the country is seen as the main contributor to global warming.

Joern Ehlers, a spokesman for World Wildlife Fund Germany, said global warming had increased the intensity of hurricanes.

"The Americans have a big impact on the greenhouse effect," Ehlers said.

But Harlan L. Watson, the U.S. envoy for negotiations on climate change, denied any link between global warming and the strength of storms.

"Our scientists are telling us right now that there's not a linkage," he said in Geneva. "I'll rely on their information."

___ Associated Press Writers Susanna Loof in Vienna, Bradley S. Klapper in Geneva, Alexander S. Higgins in Geneva, Anca Teodorescu in Bucharest, Romania and Toby Sterling in Amsterdam, Netherlands, contributed to this story.

Copyright © 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

var ADFadids = "1894157,2955431,2955429,1030392"; function ADFlaunch() {var w; var l="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12fgiph9c/M=224039.1983420.3465435.1919853/D=news/S=84962395:FOOT/_ylt=AhbEQl6C7fqtRpPcKriIYeNbbBAF/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1125522506/A=1030392/R=0/id=adfeedback/SIG=12g8gvr2f/*http://surveys.yahoo.com/user_ad_feedback?source=84962395:FOOT&.q28=news&.q26="+ADFadids; w=window.open(l,"AdFeedbackWin","toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable,location=no,height=400,width=640"); }Copyright © 2005 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

Questions or Comments

Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedbackif (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("");if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=xMiUUUSOwhUrET_pQwKO0gXkxpgNQ0MWACoADRMH&T=18o07iif1%2fX%3d1125515306%2fE%3d84962395%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d1310081367%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJIdXJyaWNhbmU7QW1lcmljYTttaWxpdGFyeTtJbnRlcm5ldDtmbG9vZDtpdDtodXJyaWNhbmU7QW1lcmljYW47ZGViYXRlO0l0O2dsb2JhbCB3YXJtaW5nIg--%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d54C28E44');yzq_a('a', '&U=1296685qa%2fN%3dFb3zkkSOxJI-%2fC%3d-1%2fD%3dFSRVY%2fB%3d-1');}b?P=xMiUUUSOwhUrET_pQwKO0gXkxpgNQ0MWACoADRMH&T=18t2dcgn3%2fX%3d1125515306%2fE%3d84962395%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d2402981580%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJIdXJyaWNhbmU7QW1lcmljYTttaWxpdGFyeTtJbnRlcm5ldDtmbG9vZDtpdDtodXJyaWNhbmU7QW1lcmljYW47ZGViYXRlO0l0O2dsb2JhbCB3YXJtaW5nIg--%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d54C28E44&U=1296685qa%2fN%3dFb3zkkSOxJI-%2fC%3d-1%2fD%3dFSRVY%2fB%3d-1if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("");if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=xMiUUUSOwhUrET_pQwKO0gXkxpgNQ0MWACoADRMH&T=18ovted2m%2fX%3d1125515306%2fE%3d84962395%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d3769918561%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJIdXJyaWNhbmU7QW1lcmljYTttaWxpdGFyeTtJbnRlcm5ldDtmbG9vZDtpdDtodXJyaWNhbmU7QW1lcmljYW47ZGViYXRlO0l0O2dsb2JhbCB3YXJtaW5nIg--%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d54C28E44');yzq_a('a', '&U=139jh63hc%2fN%3dEr3zkkSOxJI-%2fC%3d224039.1983420.3465435.1919853%2fD%3dFOOT%2fB%3d1030392');}b?P=xMiUUUSOwhUrET_pQwKO0gXkxpgNQ0MWACoADRMH&T=18sabkpkb%2fX%3d1125515306%2fE%3d84962395%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d179407354%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJIdXJyaWNhbmU7QW1lcmljYTttaWxpdGFyeTtJbnRlcm5ldDtmbG9vZDtpdDtodXJyaWNhbmU7QW1lcmljYW47ZGViYXRlO0l0O2dsb2JhbCB3YXJtaW5nIg--%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d54C28E44&U=139jh63hc%2fN%3dEr3zkkSOxJI-%2fC%3d224039.1983420.3465435.1919853%2fD%3dFOOT%2fB%3d1030392

if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("");if (window.yzq_a) yzq_a('p', 'P=xMiUUUSOwhUrET_pQwKO0gXkxpgNQ0MWACoADRMH&T=18o12g3of%2fX%3d1125515306%2fE%3d84962395%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d9%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d1424066467%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJIdXJyaWNhbmU7QW1lcmljYTttaWxpdGFyeTtJbnRlcm5ldDtmbG9vZDtpdDtodXJyaWNhbmU7QW1lcmljYW47ZGViYXRlO0l0O2dsb2JhbCB3YXJtaW5nIg--%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d54C28E44');if (window.yzq_gb && window.yzq4) yzq4();else if (window.yzq_eh) yzq_eh();b?P=xMiUUUSOwhUrET_pQwKO0gXkxpgNQ0MWACoADRMH&T=18tobhbse%2fX%3d1125515306%2fE%3d84962395%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d3.1%2fW%3d9%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d2208952057%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJIdXJyaWNhbmU7QW1lcmljYTttaWxpdGFyeTtJbnRlcm5ldDtmbG9vZDtpdDtodXJyaWNhbmU7QW1lcmljYW47ZGViYXRlO0l0O2dsb2JhbCB3YXJtaW5nIg--%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d54C28E44Does this answer some questions?

celtic

Celtic. Thanks very much for posting. It is refreshing to see someone in the media report positives instead of dwelling on the possible negatives. I thought the views expressed were reasonable feelings. Actually, the news channels in the US are doing a fantastic job of reporting. My initial donation was made yesterday and subject to revision. Hoping everyone here will do the same. Maybe in memory of a loved one.

Last year we in Punta Gorda suffered through Hurricane Charley. We thought we had it bad, but, of course, it was nothing like the people are experiencing now in the gulf states.

A few months after the storm, in January 2005 I believe, the city of Punta Gorda was presented with a check for $1,200 to be used for rebuilding from a church in Honduras. Somehow I found that very touching, as did most of us here. :)

Not a large amount, of course. But it was given to us from the heart.

Mafig. $1200 is a fortune in Honduras. Many cruise critic cruisers here support an orphanage and community outreach program on Roatan, Honduras and know of the poverty there.

We know it was a fortune for them. That's what made it so touching.

Our local radio station here in Tennessee (The Volunteer State), WIVK, has two sister stations in New Orleans and Gulfport, MS. They announced last night that they would have 18 wheelers at three locations around town. Listeners were asked to bring water, by the case , six-pack, gallon, what-ever. When the trucks were full, they had volunteer truck drivers to drive the trucks and money donated from local businesses for the gas, and at least 6 trucks are NOW on their way to the sister stations in the affected areas. Expected to arrive late tonight. Two of the trucks were at my local Wal-Mart. I bought ten cases of water last night (about 11:30 p.m.), and the store was sold out of water by 9:30 this morning. My friends and neighbors went to nearby supermarkets and bought water and took it to the trucks. Volunteers were on hand to unload the water from your vehicle so all you had to do was arrive with it! Many people also donated cash and checks (payable to the Red Cross). More trucks will be available at a local school in another part of town tomorrow.

Every lttle bit helps and when we all work together, it becomes one huge effort !!!

Other countries will offer to help and did after 9/11 as well. The US, historically, does not accept offers of aid. We have a history of trying to be self sufficiant. I am sure that there will be a lot of people who offer their love care and support as well as their pockets opening. It is way too soon to criticize people for not caring when they have not had a chance to respond.

Keep in mind, everyone, that this is still so new. After all, our own President just spoke about it two hours ago. Everything is still unfolding and everyone is trying to grasp the situation. I am sure other countries will help us and we will need help not just today, but down the road.

A co-worker left today for Biloxi to help out her family. They are on a hill and the house is still livable. They can't get food or water yet so she will be grocery shopping before she gets there. I hope she makes it okay. So far all but one aunt is accounted for. This is just one family and the need is so great!

The Red Cross here was already out on the streets taking donations. They'll get my support . . . again and again and again. Local people are being asked to put together small bags of toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap and washcloths to be distributed in the disaster areas. Electric crews are on the way as are many volunteers. I hope this is the kind of response we are seeing all over the country.

I live near the South Florida Fairgrounds, which was used as a staging area and a distribution point for our 2004 hurricanes. The amount of support was overwhelming. We were lucky and had enough water and food for the 3 days we were without power, so we didn't go for ice and water. They also gave out some food and blue tarps for the roofs. That was also the headquarters for the out of town electric companies. I've never seen so many semis in my whole life.

I know lots of help will be going to the Gulf, but I just worry that they won't be able to get near enough to the people who need them. I just cry every time I watch the news. A lot of local groups have started drives to collect money and items of need. One radio station collected diaper and wipes. They got an overwhelming response. We're decided to send money instead. Sometimes it's too hard to get supplies to the people to need them, and the Red Cross and other charities know best what they need and how to supply it.

And thanks for the info about foreign aid. I'm sure there will be lots more that we'll never hear about.

Just to let you know... For all of you in New York who are attending the State Fair, the Red Cross has a designated parking area for $10/car. All proceeds will benefit the Red Cross. If you're going to the fair, please use this parking area.

I had earlier heard that Texas was sending 1600 (?) national guard troops to the disaster area and now I've learned that Pennsyvania will be sending 2500 national guard also. It is so gratifying to hear of all this pitching in by so many. Again, we're all in this together and there are ways that we can all help. Hope nobody sits on the sidelines. And hope this thread isn't moved to some desolute board somewhere else. I am so very proud of everyone that is helping, each in their own way.

We're about 2 hours away from New Orleans and many people are being evacuated to our city (New Iberia) and Lafayette. It is amazing how the locals here are helping out. People are opening their homes and donating thousands of dollars a day to try to help out. Restaurants in our town are cooking and feeding these people, schools are accepting children so that they are able to keep up with their studies, and displaced workers are being offered help with jobs thru FEMA. It is rumored that it will take months and months before these people can go back. Where will they live is another question.

This morning there were 100 boats/200 people driving to New Orleans to try to help people stranded on roofs, buildings, etc.The only thing that I have a problem with is that there are actually people stranded that are shooting at the boaters. Can you believe such a thing? You would think that you would be greatful for help but it seems the opposite. We're hearing that they are upset because help didn't get there fast enough! We could tell them that they should have evacuated when they were told and they would not be in this position. I don't want to sound bitter because I would like to take part in the evacuation but you tend to fear for my life.

I do know that an 18 wheeler has been sent to downtown New Orleans full of water today, just don't know how far into the city that the truck can go.

They are also going to try again tonight to get the broken levees repaired but as of yesterday it did not work. Keep everyone in your prayers so that they may see through this.

This morning there were 100 boats/200 people driving to New Orleans to try to help people stranded on roofs, buildings, etc.The only thing that I have a problem with is that there are actually people stranded that are shooting at the boaters. Can you believe such a thing? You would think that you would be greatful for help but it seems the opposite. We're hearing that they are upset because help didn't get there fast enough! We could tell them that they should have evacuated when they were told and they would not be in this position. I don't want to sound bitter because I would like to take part in the evacuation but you tend to fear for my life.

This is just incredible. If these fools had got out when they were told, the resources available now could be put to much better use. You can bet that these are the folks who will be at the front of the line when compensation is being settled.

Archived