Foreign aid for hurricane?

Suggest you go to CNN.com and listen to the interview with the mayor of NO to get a perspective on the timeliness with which help arrived.You are correct that rescue operations shouldn't have been in harm's way but I watched the troops arrive today - DAY 5. They could have been deployed closer to the anticipated and expected landfall and arrived in a day or two. Interesting that the current administration refused to fund the strengthening of the levees over the past few years so that funds could be diverted to meet more important needs. And now there are assurances (today's press conference) that NO will be rebuilt in the same location so that things can return to normal. No suggestion that perhaps expert city planners might come up with alternative solutions. Duh!

Spengle. It was reported that there was an upgrade to one of the levies within the last five years. Remember, reservist and national guard are citizen soldiers and were probably on their jobs thru Wed. The severity of the storm was not realized until late on Monday with the levies failing and the full awareness was still developing Monday night. Monday during the day the media was speculating that this storm may be as destructive as Andrew. Of course, we now know it is much much worse.

RiverRev. Right on!

Lynees. Are you saying your PM wouldn't visit the victims of a tragic natural disaster? Are you suggesting that everyother president would not visit the victims? This is not the time to bash Bush or Clinton or anyother individual. Or even your PM. I remind you that in 2 1/2 days, 70,000 people had been evacuated to other cities and states. They have been fed and watered when possible. I have been so impressed with everyone involved in this human tragidy. They city of NO and the infrastructure is DESTROYED. Any bldg that has water in it will have to be demolished because of the threat of desease. The city will be gone. Just heard from the Sec of State that even the very poor Sri Lanka has offered aid. She also mention that so far sixty (60) countries have offered aid.

that this was a photo op only. As for Martin, I think he's an idiot too. And he would waffle as much on something like this, if not more, than Bush.

I am not impressed with what I've seen. I really don't care about the buildings. I'm only interested at this time in the cost of human lives. because help was so slow in arriving many people died who may not have if help has been dispatched sooner and politicians had not sat on their collective rear ends and flapped their gums. That's what politicans of all kinds do best - nothing.

I don't think there is anything to be impressed with here.

Archived