Advice on haven cabins

Trixie21

We looking to book escape for 2016 and would like to try the haven. What are the pros and cons of an aft penthouse outside the haven and a courtyard penthouse inside the haven. Would be interested to hear views of anyone who has stayed in either.

Thanks.

We looking to book escape for 2016 and would like to try the haven. What are the pros and cons of an aft penthouse outside the haven and a courtyard penthouse inside the haven. Would be interested to hear views of anyone who has stayed in either.

Thanks.

This past November, we were in an aft suite on the Getaway. Pros from our perspective: larger size and more useful room layout (separate bedroom and living/dining room), size of balcony (huge!), and cost (on our cruise, it was less than a suite in the Haven). Some might think the distance from the Haven is a con, but we did not mind this and at times we liked the walk to/from the Haven. There was only once that I was using the Haven sundeck that I realized I forgot something and it would have been more convenient to have our cabin nearer.

Before this recent cruise, we once were in an owner's suite (on the Jewel) that had Haven access but was located outside of the Haven at the front of the ship. As with the Getaway, we enjoyed both the cabin and the Haven.

Our one experience staying in the Haven was on the Gem. It actually became a bit stressful because of a couple of loud/messy groups that monopolized the space. Being in the Haven, we experienced and noticed this quite often when we tried to use the space and when walking from and to our room. It was our only cruise where afterwards we felt that we overpaid for the experience. But, the Jewel class ships have smaller Haven areas and perhaps this is less likely to occur on the newer/larger ships.

We would definitely return to an aft suite on the GA/BA/Escape. But, we would not rule out a suite located in the Haven on these ships (we will not likely return to staying in the Haven in a Jewel class ship).

Edited by Anthony&David

This past November, we were in an aft suite on the Getaway. Pros from our perspective: larger size and more useful room layout (separate bedroom and living/dining room), size of balcony (huge!), and cost (on our cruise, it was less than a suite in the Haven). Some might think the distance from the Haven is a con, but we did not mind this and at times we liked the walk to/from the Haven. There was only once that I was using the Haven sundeck that I realized I forgot something and it would have been more convenient to have our cabin nearer.

Before this recent cruise, we once were in an owner's suite (on the Jewel) that had Haven access but was located outside of the Haven at the front of the ship. As with the Getaway, we enjoyed both the cabin and the Haven.

Our one experience staying in the Haven was on the Gem. It actually became a bit stressful because of a couple of loud/messy groups that monopolized the space. Being in the Haven, we experienced and noticed this quite often when we tried to use the space and when walking from and to our room. It was our only cruise where afterwards we felt that we overpaid for the experience. But, the Jewel class ships have smaller Haven areas and perhaps this is less likely to occur on the newer/larger ships.

We would definitely return to an aft suite on the GA/BA/Escape. But, we would not rule out a suite located in the Haven on these ships (we will not likely return to staying in the Haven in a Jewel class ship).

Thanks for that - I am coming down on the side of an aft suite! Can I ask do you feel any more movement aft than midship? I have really only had a midship cabin before.

Coming into port there tends to be some significant vibration on certain ships in the aft section due to the thrusters or engine. For many people this is not bothersome, but I'm a light sleeper and once awakened I have a hard time going back to sleep, so I avoid this area of the ship. Both fore and aft experience considerably more movement than midship. On the aft balcony on some ships, there can be some grime from the ship's stack which can limit the usability of the balcony. On other ships this is not a problem. The view from aft is, of course, excellent and you do get a larger balcony.