Omg!!!!!! Is Fema Going To Cancel My Cruise????

sharonkrn

FEMA just flushed 245 million tax dollars down the sewer with the cruise ship deal. The ships stood idle for three days before FEMA gave up on the idea and opened the ships to all in need. They cannot find enough takers to stay on the ships. The evacuee numbers are dropping in the Houston area and officials are hoping to close up the Astrodome in a week. Houston Chronicle reports the ships will be directed to NO and Mobile to house relief workers and people involved in the cleanup.

[quote name='DannyMac']FEMA just flushed 245 million tax dollars down the sewer with the cruise ship deal. The ships stood idle for three days before FEMA gave up on the idea and opened the ships to all in need. They cannot find enough takers to stay on the ships. The evacuee numbers are dropping in the Houston area and officials are hoping to close up the Astrodome in a week. Houston Chronicle reports the ships will be directed to NO and Mobile to house relief workers and people involved in the cleanup.[/QUOTE]
That was what I thought they should have done all along. The people that will be working to get NO back on its feet will need a place to stay close to the city, firemen, police officers, construction workers first aid. I'm just not sure why they didn't go that route in the first place. The rooms are great for a vacation because we never spend much time in them, but if I was trying to live in one with a few children and a husband. I might take it if I had to, but with all the great people in this country trying to help them with decent housing. Well what do I know anyway, hopefully I will never suffer anywhere near the kind of loss these people have suffered.
Just my 2 cents worth!

Well personally I would prefer a cruiseship cabin with my family to sleep together- then to being on a cot in the astrodome with no family privacy. After all people would probally only sleep and bathe in their cabins(things I want privacy for) and would be out in the common areas of the ship most of the time (no entertainment in the lounges but you could play cards and dominoes etc. those places) or even off the ships.

From what I understand and what many heartless people are complaining about- was alot of the people stranded in New Orleans- were on state aid and the elderly who are retired, etc. The cruiseships would have made a decent temporary home for them until something better could be arranged.

Ofcourse people who are able to work would not want to stay there. They will move to other cities and look for work. I understand from our local news that Atlanta has 50,000 plus who are here. The city says it will cost like $150,000,000 from the city to help these people get on their feet. I am sure the same is true for Birmingham, Houston and all the other major cities in the south.

[quote name='DannyMac']FEMA just flushed 245 million tax dollars down the sewer with the cruise ship deal. The ships stood idle for three days before FEMA gave up on the idea and opened the ships to all in need. They cannot find enough takers to stay on the ships. The evacuee numbers are dropping in the Houston area and officials are hoping to close up the Astrodome in a week. Houston Chronicle reports the ships will be directed to NO and Mobile to house relief workers and people involved in the cleanup.[/QUOTE]

It was my understanding from day one that only ONE of the ships would house evacuees. And those going to the ship were the elderly or disabled. The other two ships were designated all along as housing for rescue and relief, oil field and FEMA employees. We are transporting over 100 semi loads of food to feed those who will stay on the ships. We were told 8 days ago that it would be FEMA and rescue and relief workers.

In a side note about disorganization leading to overspending: Congress voted another appropriation yesterday. It was stated by Jim Sensabrenner (who voted against the appropriation, as he wants ACCOUNTABILITY) that this appropriation brings the cost of relief to the EVACUEES to $119,000 per person. The appropriation bill DOES not include rebuilding the area. It is for immediate, temporary relief, including TEMPORARY housing.

The amount of money they are spending could buy every family a NEW home in Texas, Arizona, Nevada, furnish it decently, and have a WHOLE lot left over for clean-up. The National Guard budget is in every state budget anyway. A lot of the shelters are privately run, with donated money. A lot of the relief efforts are privately run. I am still trying to figure out where FEMA is spending my 500 million per day.

greatam that is what I understood also. But I guess these still want to stay close to their family members. I also read many said they did not want to be anywhere near water.

I read the latest news release on these ships that cruisecritic has just now. It said the 2 ships in Galveston would be moved from Galveston to New Orleans to house relief workers. That sounds like a good use to me. They said it will be months if ever before New orleans will be liviable. These workers need somewhere to stay while they do their jobs.

I still can't believe Atlanta says it will cost 150 million to help 50,000 displaced people because of Katrina to get a new start. It seems to me red tape makes EVERYTHING cost way more then it should.

Archived