Disappointing Panama/Cuba cruise

There might be an element of that Jakanne - but there shouldn't be! Perhaps an important aspect of your experience was whether or not there were queues when you went for your table Jakanne. I think the waiters want to 'save' your table as they are hoping to develop a relationship and, I guess, are hoping for a tip. If there is capacity and no one is waiting then I suppose that isn't a problem. People 'overtaking' others in a queue or kept waiting whilst tables were available but being 'saved' and not released would be unacceptable!

We usually go right at the beginning of the dining time and were therefore usually able to have the same table although sometimes someone else got there first. We just sat close by. My understanding was that if the table is available, you can have it again provided there's so special pressure and if there was, it would be allocated - to anyone.

If serious queuing was an issue then I can't see how they could possibly 'save' tables as that would be dynamite! Waiting passengers would be understandably very irate as that would be indefensible.

I think whatever the 'policy' or unofficial arrangements have existed in the past, now they have a bigger issue. To my thinking, this situation has come to a head from 1) the use of part of Orion for the new Indian speciality restaurant (lot fewer tables for normal dining now) and 2) pressure on waiting staff- I don't accept this 'no staff cuts' line. If waiters haven't time to set up new tables that will exacerbate the problem.

Even before this development, over a number of years we found the waiting staff unable to deal with their tables efficiently - even going in at the beginning it became common place for meals to take 1.30 - 1.45 hrs. This was on a table for two - so no slowing up waiting for others to finish all their courses - and we only ever have three courses! We often skipped coffee too. We were convinced there had been a reduction in the personnel in the dining room. (On P&O last week one hour was typical - with coffee and quite a bit of conversation with the people on the adjacent table!)

Whatever, I am dismayed that they aren't doing something about it. An extra few waiters buzzing round re-setting tables could be a start! (But that would involve employing a few more!) Definitely no reservations, and a serious consideration of whether Dream really has the space to take out a significant number of tables from the mdr - especially if these speciality restaurants aren't fully used.

I think they are trying to copy some other cruise lines with more dining options - and payable of course - but Thomson ships aren't big enough imo! It's another attempt to gain additional revenue. All well and good as long as it doesn't impact on the basic service and inconvenience passengers by having to wait a ridiculous length of time. Management decisions - again.

Well put as always Kruzseeka. Hit the nail on the head :)

heres my observations

usually we are a family of 6

the waiters virtually insist that we have the same table the next night (and the next night ditto ditto) if we decide to go to another table they will often come and fetch us (or ask us why we dont like them)

the head waiter will always try and show us to the same table each night and try to pull us out of the queue if there is one....awkward?

because we are a family they never ask us if we are happy to share?

when we are travelling as a couple

they will always ask if we are happy to share? then the waiters will encourage us and our new table companion friends to come back again next time (ditto ditto), if we dont and our new friends do (go back to the same table) they wonder if we dont like them?....awkward

if we do go back to the same waiter/table and our new friends dont? we wonder if they dont like us?

sometimes we are placed at a table where the couple occupying it are clearly unaware that someone may join them? (and quickly place the bread basket/cruets/butter dish out of your reach)….awkward

if we go down early/or late (6.30 or 9pm) there is hardly ever a queue and we can usually get a table for 2, or a table for 4 with the other 2 settings taken away, we are usually not asked if we would like the same table again if there is only 2 of us?

if we go down at 8/8.30ish there is usually a queue of people waiting for tables for 2 (some of which are being saved) but you can usually get a 'happy to share' table (see awkwardness above)

you can check if the waiters are saving tables as they put signals on the tables to alert the head waiters that their table is reserved (often a bottle of wine or the napkins laid flat on the plates) we have sometimes asked for one of theose (signalled) tables and been given it but when the previous nights occupiers turn up and are placed at another table.... daggers!!:rolleyes::p

their system can be hilarious and frustrating in equall measures:) i dont really care too much just as long as i get my dinner:)

It must be a logistical nightmare for the waiters sometimes. I'm sure they would find it easier if all the ships were fixed dining :rolleyes:

On the Dream last time, we had two different experiences (apart from the one I mustn't mention, lol :o) On formal night we went to the Captain's cocktail party, then to the Orion for 2nd sitting. We were shown to a table where a couple were already eating and were on their main course! They had not bothered with the Captain's cocktail party, so were able to go when they liked - fair enough, but surely it would have been better to have used one part of the dining room for that and kept the majority for the rest of us. I think they had used that table every night, so I know what you mean about people not expecting you to join them! They were not rude, but obviously it was strange for us to be eating different courses.

The other experience was when we went down quite late and were seated on a table for 6, but no-one else arrived for a while and when they did, as we had already started our meal, they were seated on another table. But then again, I got the feeling that they had sat on that table before!

heres my observations

usually we are a family of 6

the waiters virtually insist that we have the same table the next night (and the next night ditto ditto) if we decide to go to another table they will often come and fetch us (or ask us why we dont like them)

the head waiter will always try and show us to the same table each night and try to pull us out of the queue if there is one....awkward?

because we are a family they never ask us if we are happy to share?

when we are travelling as a couple

they will always ask if we are happy to share? then the waiters will encourage us and our new table companion friends to come back again next time (ditto ditto), if we dont and our new friends do (go back to the same table) they wonder if we dont like them?....awkward

if we do go back to the same waiter/table and our new friends dont? we wonder if they dont like us?:o:p

sometimes we are placed at a table where the couple occupying it are clearly unaware that someone may join them? (and quickly place the bread basket/cruets/butter dish out of your reach)….awkward

if we go down early/or late (6.30 or 9pm) there is hardly ever a queue and we can usually get a table for 2, or a table for 4 with the other 2 settings taken away, we are usually not asked if we would like the same table again if there is only 2 of us?

if we go down at 8/8.30ish there is usually a queue of people waiting for tables for 2 (some of which are being saved) but you can usually get a 'happy to share' table (see awkwardness above)

you can check if the waiters are saving tables as they put signals on the tables to alert the head waiters that their table is reserved (often a bottle of wine or the napkins laid flat on the plates) we have sometimes asked for one of theose (signalled) tables and been given it but when the previous nights occupiers turn up and are placed at another table.... daggers!!:rolleyes::p

their system can be hilarious and frustrating in equall measures:) i dont really care too much just as long as i get my dinner:)

Still chuckling, Geo, but so true. Didn't notice that they had clues for reserved tables though...I shall be looking out for them on my next cruise. The hotel we used in Mexico did that though. Bottle of red on the table and tablecloth decorated with flower petals for us but a nearby table always had a bottle of fizzy orange.

On Dream we were always asked as a couple if we wanted to share and always said yes. We enjoyed meeting new people and having a chat. We have a set table on our Fred cruise so it will be interesting to find out how that goes. I hope we don't get bored dining with the same people for 13 days.

Jackie, we have had set dining lots of time and have had lovely people every time. If you don't get on with the people, you can always ask to change tables. Mostly lovely people on Fred though, just like Thomson :)

Linda, I have been reading some cruise blogs and was very amused at the problems people found when there wasn't a good mix. ;):D

Linda, I have been reading some cruise blogs and was very amused at the problems people found when there wasn't a good mix. ;):D

My Mum & I did a P&O cruise with fixed dining. - first night there were 10 of us at dinner; second & subsequent night only the same 8 turned up - not sure if it was us or them lol! Seriously though, we had a great table & had a fantastic week - used to look forward to all meeting up in the evening. My parents have done several cruise with fixed dining & always ended up with a good group - the worst time they had was last year on the Dream; they kept being put on tables of 'single' people rather than other couples & it was all a bit awkward apparently.

On our 2 Fred Minis, we have been sat with some really great people - at Christmas the mother & daughter asked if they could take a photo of us to remember the family they sat next to on the lovely first cruise they had been on!

Pee0305

Sorry but we were on Dream 27th Jan to 10th Feb with friends. There was norovirus on the ship because unfortunately our male friend got it on the eve of a sea day on our second week and was confined to his cabin with wife for 24 hours and then his poor wife started with it whilst on a horse and carriage ride in Havana and again both were confined for 24 hours. Luckily they were freed at 3.30 the following day whilst still in Havana so managed to fit in a few bars with bands playing. The ships doctor confirmed they must have contacted it on the ship and there were other sufferers. The jacuzzis were emptied for a number of days and everyone was served in the Lido for the whole two weeks. The lady affected works for a medical company and had her own anti bacterial she carried in her handbag. We used the anti viral from Boots recommended on here and were ok but people were looking oddly at me when I used it from a very large dispenser as I couldn't find a handbag size one!!

One morning we stationed ourselves by the lido entrance and out of 12 people entering to eat 9 did not use the sanitizer and 6 of those were men. We did not count the people just walking through who touched nothing on their way. A waiter was seen sneezing into his hands and then continued to serve drinks withou washing his hands. My friends were given a very in depth questionnaire to complete when they were ill to ask where they had eaten and had drinks. My friends were very stoical about it and just accepted they had been unlucky and none of us have complained about the extra sea day we had each week because we knew our safety was paramount. This holiday was not as good as expected but it was the really strange weather being experienced in the Caribbean this winter (incl the Eastern Caribbean) that was to blame not Thomsons. Also I have complained for some years about the desserts on the Dream well they have improved immensely and the food overall was good.

Thats interesting Vitalsign. We had no idea, neither did friends, that there was norovirus onboard. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make it public knowledge when there is an outbreak. It might encourage more people to use the sanitizer. Some people are so unhygienic, we saw one passenger sneeze all over the salad bar and several people coughing without covering their mouths ... yeuuuch!!! I am glad that you enjoyed the cruise. For us however it left a lot to be desired other than the weather which obviously we can't do anything about :rolleyes:

Pee0305 I don't think passengers are notified until there are a large percentage of passengers are affected and then I believe the ship has to advice the port authorities I'm sure I read that one of the American ships had so many sufferers they weren't allowed into port or the whole ship was quarantined and no one allowed to disembark so obviously not that many on the Dream. The problem is some people are carriers and don't suffer symptoms and these people if they don't sanitize are a big danger and it could have been us God forbid but by sanitising regularly at least you don't pass it on. Geomagot is right about the cruets and napkins as we asked the Manager in the Lido - so packets of salt and pepper and paper napkins are used so they are all disposed of.

There were a lot of people with very bad coughs and not covering their mouths but even covering their mouths wouldn't necessarily stop of the spread because how many people would then wash their hands. One guy sunbathing near us coughed about every 3 minutes all day so we turned our sunbeds round away from him and luckily escaped catching it but I wasn't so lucky coming back from a Majesty cruise in December when a chap in front of me coughed all the way home. We have to accept that germs spread on a ship like they do in a school and hope for the best

As much as I criticise Thomson, and could go on all day about them, I did find the breakfast buffets in particular were well policed. I tried about a half a dozen times to get the auto dispenser and it wouldn't work but the waiter said to keep trying and I need to get it to work, which it did thankfully.

I managed to stay free of any bugs thankfully. As I've said previous it disgusts me the amount of men who go toilet without washing their hands. This is a bugbear of mine in everyday life and I was disappointed but not at all surprised to see it in the toilets on Dream on almost every visit (Not that I make a habit of loitering around men's toilets but it is so obvious to see who's not washing their hands) and let's not get started on the morons touching the food in the buffets. You know I don't think it wuld be a bad idea to turn one buffer into a canteen style solution where you are served food always - I'd much prefer that to buffets.

I find Thomson were good at encouraging a healthy cruise but unfortunately they can't force the animals who don't wash their hands after using the toilet to do so. It's unfortunate than other people's poor hygiene ruins cruises for others.

Edited by FOD1984

As much as I criticise Thomson, and could go on all day about them, I did find the breakfast buffets in particular were well policed. I tried about a half a dozen times to get the auto dispenser and it wouldn't work but the waiter said to keep trying and I need to get it to work, which it did thankfully.

I managed to stay free of any bugs thankfully. As I've said previous it disgusts me the amount of men who go toilet without washing their hands. This is a bugbear of mine in everyday life and I was disappointed but not at all surprised to see it in the toilets on Dream on almost every visit (Not that I make a habit of loitering around men's toilets but it is so obvious to see who's not washing their hands) and let's not get started on the morons touching the food in the buffets. You know I don't think it wuld be a bad idea to turn one buffer into a canteen style solution where you are served food always - I'd much prefer that to buffets.

I find Thomson were good at encouraging a healthy cruise but unfortunately they can't force the animals who don't wash their hands after using the toilet to do so. It's unfortunate than other people's poor hygiene ruins cruises for others.

It's not specifically men. I have given up using public toilets on ships and always try to make time to go back to the cabin as I have never seen such a mess and have been known to walk out of them. The toilets are checked and cleaned on a regular basis so how so many women can make so much mess in such a short space of time is unbelievable.:confused: Women don't always wash their hands.:eek: I carry handwash around with me 24/7 and if I do have to use the public toilets I always wash then use my own handwash on leaving. I recall being on a trip once where there were no proper handwashing facilities and I offered my handwash only to be looked at as if I had two heads.:eek: