Belfast Excursions

swedish girl

I can't help with getting to Hillsborough Castle. (I'm assuming the Royal Princess is in port when the castle is open. The open days are quite limited.)

However, for just a tour of the city, I highly recommend doing the City Sightseeing Open Top Hop On/Hop Off tour. We did this a few years ago when we visited our daughter who was doing a study abroad program at Queens University, Belfast. If you don't get off anywhere, the tour takes about 2 hours. That gave us enough time to have lunch in a snug at the Crown Bar Saloon (which is owned by the National Trust), have a walk through the Botanical Gardens and do a bit of shopping in the CBD.

Another often recommended tour of Belfast is with one of the Black Cab tours. I chose not to do one of those tours because I had heard that you can get stuck with a partisan cab driver and I wanted a non-partisan view of the city. I have to say that our guide on the City Sightseeing bus was very even-handed in his tour commentary. I have no idea if he was Protestant, Catholic or neither.

I highly recommend pre-booking a snug for lunch at the Crown Bar, if possible. It's a lovely place and our lunch was delicious and reasonably-priced.

City Sightseeing: http://belfastcitysightseeing.com/

Crown Bar Saloon: http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/thecrownliquorsaloonbelfast/

Another option is to check out Tours By Locals at

http://www.toursbylocals.com/TBL/WebObjects/ToursByLocals.woa/1/wa/mapclick?region=39&area=57&wosid=aNt8vPpmORBtkhsQWWFIRM

We've used them in three different ports over the years and have had good luck. In Belfast last year we did a variation of the Giants Causeway tour on this page (individual guides will tailor your itinerary to meet your desires).

Greg

Four of us did the City and Giant Causeway tour by Allaster. He was the PERFECT tour guide. He uses vans so they hold I think 6 or maybe 8 people total. Anyways the first thing I loved about Allaster is he actually called us at home within 24 hours of our e-mail. You can then request to go exactly where you want to go. If you can find a few others to join your tour then price becomes very reasonable. The exact name of the tour company is:

CITY AND GIANT CAUSEWAY TOURS. Highly recommended