Parasailing in St. Thomas

kpee

Heading to St. Thomas early April and our daughter (15) really wants to try it. We are considering a Royal Caribbean excursion to Saphire Beach. Does anyone know if we can parasail there? I've heard that since it reopened, there are activities available. Or if not there where in St. Thomas? We are also hitting St. Maarten and Nassau (I know they have their own threads) but incase you happen to know of a great parasailing adventure there....please share:)

We've never seen a parasail outfit come to Sapphire while we stay there but we do see folks parasailing throughout the day on the other side of Red Hook. Not sure if they're being picked up at Secret Harbour Resort or the Ritz but somewhere in that area. Try googling those resorts and parasailing.

Blue Reef Watersports meets at Havensight and Red Hook. We are booked with them next month--meeting them at Red Hook since their other boat is doing ship excursions w/ NCL at Havensight. After parasailing we are going to Sapphire-- Red Hook and Sapphire are less than a mile from one another. It would really be easy to do it all on your own without going through RCCL to book an excursion to Sapphire.

blue reef water sports . com (no spaces) Call this number if you decide to book 1(340)626-7609-- it is more reliable than e-mailing.

The parasailers we saw were further off in the distance beyond Cabrita Point so that must've been another outfit out of Compass Point or picking up folks at one of the resorts by the Yacht Club.

They were quite high up though! :eek:

There aren't that many excursion providers in the Caribbean and the ships don't want you booking independently so it can be hard to figure out who they're using. Some of the larger islands like Puerto Rico, Jamaica, and the Dominican Republic may be an exception.

Also, there usually isn't a savings booking direct vs booking through the ship. Since ship excursions include transportation, booking direct may actually cost more. The ships have more bargaining power because they can usually deliver much larger numbers.

Many Caribbean excursions are totally dependent on bookings through the cruise ships. The hotels usually have other entertainment for their guests so excursion bookings from hotels do not compare to cruise bookings.

I had already looked at their website as well as sent them an email for information, I thought since someone else posted maybe someone would have information to share. But thank you for the information you provided.

Try calling them instead. 1(340)626-7609 We had issues with booking online. I believe we paid $250 total for 3 people.

As far as I know, they are the only parasailing group on STT, so it would make sense that is who Carnival uses--NCL does.

My sister just got back from a Carnival cruise to St. Thomas about 2 weeks ago. I know she booked her parasailing through the cruise ship and was picked up right at the dock - not sure who the company was though. She told me she absolutely loved it, and she had been parasailing in Hawaii before, so it must have been good! Have fun!

• 4 weeks later...
There aren't that many excursion providers in the Caribbean and the ships don't want you booking independently so it can be hard to figure out who they're using. Some of the larger islands like Puerto Rico, Jamaica, and the Dominican Republic may be an exception.

Also, there usually isn't a savings booking direct vs booking through the ship. Since ship excursions include transportation, booking direct may actually cost more. The ships have more bargaining power because they can usually deliver much larger numbers.

Many Caribbean excursions are totally dependent on bookings through the cruise ships. The hotels usually have other entertainment for their guests so excursion bookings from hotels do not compare to cruise bookings.

I've never seen an excursion that wasn't cheaper when we booked independently than through the ship. ;)

The ship may have bargained for a lower rate with the operator, but they certainly don't pass that along to the passenger. That just means more profit for them.

I've never seen an excursion that wasn't cheaper when we booked independently than through the ship. ;)

The ship may have bargained for a lower rate with the operator, but they certainly don't pass that along to the passenger. That just means more profit for them.

Exactly correct tt - the previous poster was not right.

We have taken cruise line excursions to have access to a particular operator but that was the only reason.

Another facet not commonly known is that the cruise line has zero liability if there is an accident, many folks never read their contract.

• 2 weeks later...

We parasailed with Blue Reef just last week. We met them at their Red Hook location. It was amazing-- nothing like seeing St. Thomas, St. John and the other surrounding islands from 550 feet in the air. The staff was great-- I was so nervous, but they really paid close attention to details and made me feel safe. I loved it as did the others in my group. If you go, don't forget a camera-- they do not take pictures. :)

$85 per person-- 1 to 3 people at a time. Up in the air about 7 to 8 minutes. :D