IConcierge and Phone call

DeBlonde1

Has anyone had experience making a call home or receiving a call from home when using the IConcierge app? From what I can tell, there will be a small additional fee per minute (over the $8 usage price). I was just wondering how much per minute and how good the connection was? Thanks!

As far as I am aware there is no way of making or receiving calls to people off the ship using iconcierge. Such calls would be using your regular cell service and the cost would depend on your provider.

Iconcierge allows calls to and from other people onboard who have also got the app and paid the fixed fee. There are no call charges involved.

Unless there has been a change recently that I'm unaware of.

Edited by KeithJenner

As far as I am aware there is no way of making or receiving calls to people off the ship using iconcierge. Such calls would be using your regular cell service and the cost would depend on your provider.

Unless there has been a change recently that I'm unaware of.

Thanks, Keith. It looks like they now indicate it is an option. I was reading through the FAQ for the application and saw the below info... just wondering how well it works since it isn't through the cell service and appears to be through the application via ships wifi. Also, how much it actually is before I decide if I want to pay the $8 for the service. :)

Can I make calls and send texts to my friends and family back home? Calling to numbers off-ship is supported. To dial a US based number, simply dial 1 + the area code and number. To dial an international number, dial 011, the country code and number. A confirmation screen will appear displaying the rate for the off-ship phone call before the call is placed. Charges will be billed to the guest’s onboard account. Remember, calls must be placed from within the Norwegian iConcierge App.

Can I receive calls on the ship from my friends and family back home? Yes! Friends and family can call the registered device directly by dialing (877) 308-5605BsAt4ube4GblQIAAAAASUVORK5CYII= (toll-free, U.S. only) or 305-400-4629BsAt4ube4GblQIAAAAASUVORK5CYII= (local or outside U.S.). The caller must select the ship the guest is sailing on, and enter the direct extension or the stateroom number to reach the device. Prior to accepting the call, a confirmation message will play on the mobile device advising of the per minute call rate.

79 cents per minute with the iconcierge app on the Breakaway in December and January.

Great connection, much better than the cabin phone and ship to shore rates.

Thanks! Not a bad price! Wish they could figure out the texting, too. :)

Yes, we called home through iConcierge while on Epic in November. We were indeed charged $.79/minute, which was ridiculously cheap. It was a poor connection, but we were also calling someone who is hard of hearing, so it was kind of hard to tell how bad it really was on that end. The call dropped 3 times, and we had to redial, but that was no big deal. We had an emergency (our phones had alerted us that fire alarms were going off in our house), and iConcierge served it's purpose by allowing us to make contact with a family member at home in an emergency. (They were false alarms, by the way.) You actually dial the person's number through the app and not using your actual phone itself. It's an unfamiliar number that shows up on the recipient's end, so if you plan to call someone, you might forewarn them.

Edited by LrgPizza

Thanks for posting this. I had been wondering the same thing. When we cruised last September we made sure to get the updated off shore calling data on our cell service. But my wife was unable to call home through our phones and ultimately had to use the room line and super expensive. So awesome that it will be available for $0.79/minute! I have already down loaded the iconcierge app for our October cruise