Been a long time since HAL cruise - what's changed?

USVIcruizer

OK, We will challenge some of the HAL cheerleaders with a basic question, similar to what has been asked by the OP. In the past 10 years what has changed for the better on HAL?

Hank

P.S. We are 4 Star Mainers and have done man HAL days in the past 10 years.

AHOY SHIPMATE,

When reading the comments, it sounds pretty grim. DW and I have close to 1200 days (5 star) on HAL and still consider it our favorite for the price when shopping.

THE HAMBURGERS ARE NOW BETTER ON THE LIDO. ( they age them an average of 30 minutes after being ordered)

The staff is still as friendly but MUCH overworked

SEA YA

There's a world of difference between chowing down and fine dining. The former feeds the body, while the latter additionally feeds the soul.

If the days of fine dining are gone, then the world has lost something that mattered.

A world without fine dining I can live with. A world without dogs, not so...:D

or elephants for that matter

After reading this thread, I feel a little sad that we didn't have the opportunity to start cruising earlier in life. It would appear that we have missed so much that seasoned HAL cruisers enjoyed in the past.

On the other hand, since we never experienced them, I really shouldn't feel this way at all. If we weren't so keen on trying HAL, we would look to another cruise line for our upcoming Alaska cruise next summer. After reading the HAL board over the past two years, I feel certain that we will have a wonderful experience.

Cruising is a fantastic way to travel. Smooth sailing and pleasant weather everyone!

I'm sorry you would consider another cruiseline after reading some of the comments. I think that on most other cruiselines there are changes (not all good) over the last few years. The OP specifically asked what had changed, and got a lot of valid information.

I don't think you will miss that which you never knew ;) The experience in suites is quite wonderful, and that will add to your special celebration. And ALASKA. You're going to ALASKA .... :D

Although I have only been going on HAL cruises the last 5 years. I really like them compared to other large cruise lines (I've only been on 4 other cruise lines). Not that the other cruise lines are "bad", I just like HAL more. I think it's more laid back, the crew is most definitely nicer, IMHO, then the other ships I've been on. Every thing on the ship seems "classier" to me. I know this sounds funny or nutty, but, I feel kind of special on HAL. I'm a laid back kinda guy, I think that helps too!