Some Specific Info about ATM Location in Ports!

Ok, so I'm a little over-organized - sounds more upscale than anal - but this is what I need.

I have read several posts saying that yes Virginia, there are ATMS all over. But I'm wanting to know where.

Let's start in wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen - When we leave the ship (Constellation/Celebrity) we plan to use local transportation and our own trusty feet. So can anyone tell me where the most convenient ATM is located? I imagine we'll need to sort that out BEFORE boarding their buses.

And the same for all the ports if you know?

Oslo, Helsinki, Tallin, Stockholm.

We won't need to do this in St. Petersburg as we have taken a mortage on the farm to invest in the RO package.

Thanks for any help. (My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, etc)

After re-reading this post I think I need some coffee really fast - I guess you could call it my feeble attempt at humour - albeit a little dated.

Happy travels!

Carol

We used ATMs in practically every port. As I recall:

In Copenhagen there is a group of stores right across from the pier. There's an ATM there.

In Oslo, you're walking distance (a couple of blocks) from the city center. There are ATMs all over the place. I think there may also be one in the visitors' center/shopping building right at the pier.

In Stockholm, we boarded the Celebrity shuttle to the city center (the Opera House, to be specific) - there are ATMs all over the place in the city center.

In Helsinki and Tallin, same as Stockholm.

In Warnemunde - the pier is a quick walk fom the train station. ATMs are there.

There are ATMs everywhere you go, even in many stores. We never had a hard time finding one.

Have a great cruise.

Joanie

Does anyone know if you need local currency in Tallin? We were there before but were on a tour. Whatever we purchased, we used credit cards. Do the taxis take U.S. dollars? Thanks for any information.

Joan icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Joanie,

Thank you so much! All my questions answered in one post.

One more thing I can cross off my list.

And joan24,

At last I can answer a question!

In Tallin, I am talking with a tour/guide and he has quoted his rates in Euros!

When is your trip?

Carol

Can anyone tell me where you get the best exchange rate?

(1) Change money at a bank prior to leaving the U.S.

(2) ATM's in each country

(3) On board ship

Thanks,

Judy

Carnival-Holiday- 1985

Carnival - Celebration - 1986

Star Princes - 1992

Carnival Victory - 1998

Carnival Triumph - 1999

Grandeur of the Seas - 05/2001

Explorer of the Seas - 11/2001

Grand Princess - 10/2002,

Carnival Spirit - 12/2003

GRAND PRINCESS-BALTIC - 05/19/2004

My country uses Estonian kroon as

national currency.

Estonia was first area in previous Soviet Union where currency reform was organized and own natioanl currency started to use from summer 1992.

First our national currency was pegged to German mark, but German mark is gone and now Estonian kroon is pegged to Euro, this stabile exchange rate like we had to German mark .

So exhange rate EUR/ EEK has been same

1 Euro ´= 15,6 Estonian kroons.

Exhange rate of USD has been very different.

Only couple years ago 1 USD = 18 estonian kroons,

now only 1 USD = 13 Estonian kroons, becuase rate depends how strong is Euro to USD.

Our politicans want to join Euro zone as soon possible, actually this is not very popular idea for most of Estonians, because we are patriots and besides our currency is much more beatiful then Euro (sorry, I was too emotional).

I m afraid the we will ost our currency from 2006 or so.

But people from cruise ships can use USD in Tallinn evrywhere, we have ATM s , you can use your credit cards/ shortly there is no need to change your money to Estonian kroon.

So you can not see our nice banknotes. it is sad, a littl bit (sorry again)

Ahti

Ahti Arak Tours

I have always found the best exchange rate using our credit cards and using our debit card at the ATM machines taking money straight from checking or savings. I felt the currency exchange rates at airport kiosks terribly high and once you get to the country it seemed way higher than our credit card. The ATM debit from our credit union had the exact same exchange rate as the Sunday newspaper listed. It didn't look like they charged at all.

Jewel of the Sea May 2004

Serenade of the Sea August 2003

Splendour of the Sea August 1999

Legend of the Sea August 1997

Rotterdam May 1989

I would agree. You're going to be handicapped by the fact that few Baltic countries are on the Euro, forcing you to obtain local currency for cash purchases. Plus, if you have any left after your day in port, you're not going to be able to spend it in your next port of call, which is likely to be on a different system!

You can get the best exchange rate by using your credit or debit card, which has an exchange rate only 1-2% above the interbank rate, and you won't have to worry about having leftover currency in your wallet. If you have to use ATMs, you'll have to face the charges for making a "cash advance" (in addition to the customary ATM fees), but you'll probably get a better rate that way than from a for-profit money exchange or aboard the ship.

Come to think of it, plan to bring your AMEX or Citibank card and print off a list of local branches before you leave the States. That way you can avoid the ATM fees (which can be up to $5 per transaction) and AMEX waived the exchange fees if you were a Platinum member.

Richard

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

From the Insignia's Inaugural sailing (4/3/2004)

[This message was edited by drwong on 05-10-04 at 12:59 AM.]

Carol,

Long time no see!?! It's been a long time now since the Golden Transatlantic. How ironic that you're doing the Baltics this summer - my mom and I are, too, only we're going on Princess again. Debbie (Chris and Debbie) and I were just talking about you the other day. We're planning a transatlantic together for next May, NY to Southampton. Maybe you guys would want to join us? When is your cruise? We leave on Sunday. IF you're going after us, I can give you updates on the ports, etc.

Take Care,

Chris

Cruisin' Chris

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;5;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000  5/19/04 Grand Princess Baltic Heritage

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Hey Chris!

What fun to see you on this board! I got an email from Debbie last week telling us about the May 05 Trans. We would love to do that one and see everyone again, BUT I don't know if our calving season will be over by then. I'll have to check with Will (and whine and cry a little)

We go on August 25 on the Baltics on the Constellation (Celebrity). I would love to hear all the skinny on the ports when you get back!

You can email me directly at : Brahmama@yahoo.com if you like

Carol

• 2 months later...

First of all, do NOT echange currency on the ship. They are higher than the banks. Use your debit card. It is by far the cheapest way to go. Two tips: Get a 4 number pin no. on your regular credit card if you plan to use it at all. Many places will not let you charge without it. Alsoget some pounds before you leave US. We arrived at Heathrow and bus to downtown would not accept our U.S ccurrency or credit card. We had to go back in airport and exchange 100.00 for 49 pounds. Much cheaper in ATM machines all over Europe.

chip

Get a 4 number pin no. on your regular credit card if you plan to use it at all. Many places will not let you charge without it.
I have never heard of a requirement to have a PIN in order to use a credit card. Is this a recent development? A new phenomenon that I have encountered recently in California and Arizona at some gas pumps is the requirement to enter one's ZIP code when using a credit card. I assume (although I don't know for sure) that they are checking to see if the ZIP code entered matches the billing address for the credit card.

--Jim--

I think the 4 digit pin is required for ATM machines - if you are using your credit card to withdraw cash. Some may have a 3 digit pin and that won't work. I may be wrong - but this is what I've understood from the posts on this subject.

Julie

Yes, I have seen some discussions in various threads about the necessity of a 4 digit PIN for using a card in ATM machines (rather than a 5 digit PIN, I believe). What I have not seen any mention of (before Chip's posting) was the need for a PIN for a credit card purchase.

--Jim--

Archived