How many?

Boatingmom

I think it all really depends on your personality and travel arrangements. We drive so I don't have to worry at all about baggage fees from airlines.

I under-pack for me and DH, I over pack for my 2 DS's. But in general 1 paid of dress bottoms for everyone, 2 nice shirts for everyone is the "norm". I bring 2 summer maxi dresses for me that are made out of the spandex type material so they actually take up less room than 1 pair of pants. Shoes packed consist of everyone's sandals, which include my dress ribbon sandals. DH/DS's wear sneakers all the time, and unless there is snow I am in sandals anyways so no need to pack. I also bring our "winter" jackets everywhere, but they are Under Armor Cold Weather Gear and are as bulky as a windbreaker.

DH and I get 4 shorts, 2 long pants, 5 shirts, 1 bathing suit each. Along with that enough under garments and socks (DH only since well sandals and socks for me, no way!).

My kids on the other hand even though they are teens. 7 shorts, 2 long pants, 7-10 shirts, 10 pairs of socks/underwear each, 2 bathing suits.

DH and oldest DS can use the same electric razor for a week. Other than deodorant/toothpaste & brushes/ and 1 hair brush for the 4 of us we don't need anything else in that department. For me personally, I don't even own make-up, don't use lotions, don't style my hair, so I am one of those women who is like I have a hair brush I am good to go!

I can fit everything for the 4 of us in one rolling duffel and 1 suitcase. Of course there is also the rolling suitcase dedicated to soda and tortilla chips (shame on Carnival for having a salsa bar and no chips to go with it!!)

If we flew I don't think I could do just carry-on's like some because of technological needs that I don't want to let out of my sight. But I would do it if it was a matter of an extra $500 for baggage for the 4 of us!

I take whatever can fit under 50 lbs in our 2 free checked bags and 2 carryon's (when it is just DH and myself). I usually have a mostly empty carryon when we leave that we put in our 2 bottles of champagne and a few 1 liters of pop that we pick up in the port city before we cruise. That gives us some room for souviners on the way home. Our suitcases are normally packed as follows:

Large Suitcase 1: Toiletries/Makeup/First Aid/etc. packed in an over-the-door shoe holder which is folded like an accordian and wrapped in a garbage bag, DH's dress shoes and sandals, socks and underwear for both of us, 2-3 swim suit for me and a coverup, 1 for DH, 7-8 T-shirts for DH, 2 ties for DH.

Large Suitcase 2: 8 Shirts for me, 8 pairs of Capri's for me, 1 pair dress shoes for me, 1-2 pair sandals for me, 5-6 pairs of shorts for DH, 5 button down shirts for DH.

Carry On 1: 2-3 dresses for me, 1 pr Dress Pants for DH, 2 Dress Shirts for DH.

Carry On 2: Jewelry, Batteries/Cords, prescription medicines and Space left for drinks.

Shoulder Bag: Tablets, magazines, travel documents, camera, and snacks.

We usually wear jeans, light jacket, and tennis shoes to fly so we have those with us as well.