Wheelchairs and Insulin

SunshineCruiser24

Hello :-)

I am looking into taking my mom on a cruise. She isn't wheelchair bound per say but she has issues with walking long distances and standing for long amounts of time. I was looking in to getting a fold up wheelchair and toting her around the ship but my question is for places like private islands do they have those special wheelchairs for rent that can go on the beach?

How hard is to navigate with a wheelchair and do people give you a hard time about that stuff? She's very self conscious about losing her mobility and some people have been quite cruel on the internet regarding overweight people in wheelchairs (she can't just get up in walk, she has a spinal problem that makes it super painful for long periods)

She also has an insulin pen, it doesn't require refrigeration but it does require little needles. If we brought an empty red box from home, would the crew be able to dispose of it after the cruise or would we have transport the sharps container home?

What ports do you find the most wheelchair friendly? And do people find it too troublesome to board a tender boat with a wheelchair? I wouldn't want her to board and debark on her own because of balance issues, I'd want her to do it in the chair or with assistance from crew.

• 2 weeks later...

You can call the special needs dept and ask that a sharps container be put in her cabin or wait til you board the ship and ask the cabin attendant and they can bring one to the cabin. The special needs dept would most likely be able to answer your questions about the wheelchair.

I don't know if you saw the other thread here, but it mentioned a needle clipper, which I hadn't heard of. I bought one and it works great! It's really tiny, easy to use, holds two years' worth of needles and only cost 6 bucks. You clip off the needle part and throw the plastic bit in the trash.

I don't know if you saw the other thread here, but it mentioned a needle clipper, which I hadn't heard of. I bought one and it works great! It's really tiny, easy to use, holds two years' worth of needles and only cost 6 bucks. You clip off the needle part and throw the plastic bit in the trash.

Hi,

I have been on ships where they still want the plastic part of the needle in a sharps container, the room steward will sort one out for you.

But, yes the device is excellent for cutting off needle heads.

Pete

I am looking into taking my mom on a cruise. She isn't wheelchair bound per say but she has issues with walking long distances and standing for long amounts of time. I was looking in to getting a fold up wheelchair and toting her around the ship but my question is for places like private islands do they have those special wheelchairs for rent that can go on the beach?

How hard is to navigate with a wheelchair and do people give you a hard time about that stuff? She's very self conscious about losing her mobility and some people have been quite cruel on the internet regarding overweight people in wheelchairs (she can't just get up in walk, she has a spinal problem that makes it super painful for long periods)

She also has an insulin pen, it doesn't require refrigeration but it does require little needles. If we brought an empty red box from home, would the crew be able to dispose of it after the cruise or would we have transport the sharps container home?

What ports do you find the most wheelchair friendly? And do people find it too troublesome to board a tender boat with a wheelchair? I wouldn't want her to board and debark on her own because of balance issues, I'd want her to do it in the chair or with assistance from crew.

I can understand how your mom feels. I have had my own issues with limited mobility and being overweight. For that reason may I kindly suggest you look into a scooter rental. My dear husband pushed me all around Hawaii and ports in a wheel chair and it was not easy work in warm weather..I also felt worse that he had to do this. Next cruise we rented a scooter...it was so liberating and I was not reliant on anyone to get me places. When she is able to walk,then she can. Another option could be a rollator as they are called in the US. She can push and have a place to sit and rest - again fostering her independence yet recognizing need for a mobility aid. Just depends on her abilities. Scooter can be easily rented and available in your cabin when you board...book an accessible cabin regardless -sounds like bathroom bars, and easy access shower will be better for your mom. Lots of folks with mobility issues cruise and I wish you all the best. Feel free to ask more questions and lots of wonderful folks on here will be happy to help.

PS...tell her that those that make rude or ignorant comments about those battling obesity are not worth the time of day or recognition for what is misjudged ignorance....It is their problem, not hers.

Cheers

Huggs

I would recommend looking into renting a mobility scooter for your mom. You won't regret it. The ships are massive and require lots of walking if you really want to enjoy;) It would definitely give her freedom. Most Cruise lines have an Access desk number that you can call ahead of time to help you with all your disabled and access needs including having a Sharps container already in your cabin before you arrive.