first time cruising

firstcruise1970

Everyone is right...it all depends on your personal choices.

If you don't eat in specialty restaurants (with surcharges), if you don't gamble, if you don't drink alcohol, if you don't go on shore excursions, then you'll know up front exactly how much you'll be spending (especially when tips are predetermined).

But if you decide to eat in specialty restaurants, budget for them. If you wish to gamble, set gambling money aside. If you wish to imbibe, you can get a list of alcoholic beverages (with prices) from the cruise line or from one of the knowledgable Cruise Critics. If you want to do shore excursions, you can determine the exact price.

And souvenirs can range from jewelry to native art to refrigerator magnets to postcards.

Last year on NCL Crown, 10 days to Canada and New England, we had 2 meals in the specialty restaurant, 2 bottles of wine, NO shore excursions (we just walked in every port), and $20/day per person for gambling (which we didn't exhaust). Lunches in the port cities. And tips. Total extras: less than $700.

To each his own.

A friend just got back from an Alaska 10-day cruise. Between buying a nice bottle of wine at dinner each night, and (I'm sure) more than a couple of drinks each day, just his bar bill was $1500!! It adds up quick!!

Jeez! Either that was BETTER than a "nice" bottle of wine OR he had more than a "couple" of drinks each day! (at $6 per drink and 4 drinks per day = $24 (rounding to $25) even that's only $250 after 10 days!)

Yes, everyone's budget is very different. I am one of those people who enjoys cruising because so much of the vacation is included in the price. I could have a very good time spending only $70 on the tips and use the money I saved to buy cool computer gadgets. Plus, I sometimes find it very hard to spend $30 on a bottle of wine I know I could get for $10 back home. Then again, sometimes you pay for the ambiance, and drinking a bottle of wine on a cruise ship is a bit more interesting than at my kitchen table. :D

There have been many threads on cash vs. traveler's checks vs. credit cards vs. onboard accounts. One thing I like to do to help keep on a budget is bring cash/traveller's checks equal to the per person per day budget I've set. (Don't forget to take out what you'll need for tips at the end of the cruise.) The onboard account is still convenient, but when I use it, I "move" some of my cash into a spent pile so I don't have to carry cash around with me on board, but I still tangibly watch how much I'm spending as the week goes on. I also give myself permission to splurge towards the end of the week if the money is still there.

Everyone have been very helpful. Put my worries at ease. My mom and i also started planning a group cruise with first timers so it helps explain stuff to them.

Alcohol doesn't agree with me in my old age (28, :() and my sister is ultra healthy so she won't touch it. my only excursion is 55 bucks cash (private tour operator) so i feel like i have a handle on it.

Thanks again.

sjohnso3

Nice idea on the travelers check thing you do. I will have to try that next spring. I'm getting tired of looking at my running tab and watching it go through the roof. I've never paid cash in board though, anything I do seems to get charged to my account. It is very easy for things like a budget to fail big.

• 4 weeks later...
A friend just got back from an Alaska 10-day cruise. Between buying a nice bottle of wine at dinner each night, and (I'm sure) more than a couple of drinks each day, just his bar bill was $1500!! It adds up quick!!

Craziness!!!!

You have to take into account the age and career level of many of the people who are making these posts.

To give you a rough idea of some estimates:

When I was 18 I probably spent under $150 including tips, shopping at port, excursions (all I did was shop and then for only cheap stuff), soft drinks and a small bit of gambling and gifts. Very frugal on my part but had a blast on my 7 day cruise.

On my last cruise was on a bit of a budget but had a better job (was 25) probably averaged spending about $50 per person per day. Did shopping in ports, bought gifts onboard liberaly, gambled a bit, got a few drinks had lots of fun.

My next trip is in Dec (will be 29) am in a much better financial position. Will not be keeping much of a budger at all. Have 7 days in Hawaii and plan to spend a min of $150 for each day not including tips. I expect to have lots of fun.

Just remember $15 per person per day for tips.

So the bottom line is if your young, on a budget, used to living on a budget you will have a very fun time regardless of what you bring cash wise. When you go to port, you probably won't be buying many excursions, but you can always hit the beach and go shopping. If its your first time just exploring some of the local sights will be fun. Not to mention you jump in a cab on mom and dad's dime your going to have a good time.

Don't let anyone worry you. When your in your 40's to 60's you won't be able to enjoy a cruise on a budget if your not able to buy a sufficient amount of ($25) bingo cards, but for your age and budget you will have a great time.

Archived