Deactivate Teen's SeaPass

I find this whole arcade thing ridiculous. I can't believe there hasn't been some changes implemented for the arcade. For example, requiring a parent's permission to activate an Arcade account. I'm sure they would lose revenue, but is it better for the parents to find a huge charge on the account?

I had the discussion with my son already. He said he wouldn't go into an arcade anyways, but I reminded him that perhaps his friends may want to and he is not allowed to use his SeaPass and if he does, he will pay for it.

My daughter will not be alone outside of the Adventure Ocean. This will be our first RCCL so I'm not sure if the Adventure Ocean program involves going to the arcade. So I will go over the rules with her as well.

Our youngest is 33 with a child of his own, so it doesn't directly affect us, but FWIW I completely agree with you - that's ridiculous!

I guess it's just upsetting how RCCL is allowing this to continue. It's deceptive.:mad: If someone here hadn't helpfully mention it, then I wouldn't have known ahead of time. If I told my children that they have no charging privileges and they go to the arcade and found out that they can play if they use their SeaPass card, then why would they assume it would charge them. Their parents told them that they can't charge so, as most children would assume, the arcade must be free since it allowed them to play.

There must be dozens of parents each cruise not aware of this. Of course the parents would be upset with the children for charging, but if they're told they cannot charge, then they won't even think about it.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your replies and info.

Edited by dvcdisney

Thanks for the replies. I guess I still don't understand why I would still need to go to GS since I didn't link my children's SeaPass to any credit card or charging privileges through my account. When I filled out the check in, I only chose my husband and I to have access to charging.

When you check in you will be asked! You will do it prior to check in, than they will ask you at check in. No need to go a third time. I am sure, the "announcement" is made because of multiple issues and complaints.

I guess it's just upsetting how RCCL is allowing this to continue. It's deceptive.:mad: If someone here hadn't helpfully mention it, then I wouldn't have known ahead of time. If I told my children that they have no charging privileges and they go to the arcade and found out that they can play if they use their SeaPass card, then why would they assume it would charge them. Their parents told them that they can't charge so, as most children would assume, the arcade must be free since it allowed them to play.

There must be dozens of parents each cruise not aware of this. Of course the parents would be upset with the children for charging, but if they're told they cannot charge, then they won't even think about it.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your replies and info.

Just to clarify, the kids can not just walk into the arcade, stick their sea pass card into a machine and play a game. They first have to go to a machine, that is usually in the hallway leading into the arcade on the ships that we have been on, and load money onto their sea pass card to play with in the arcade. Your kids sound savvy enough to know, if you have to say how much you are loading onto the card, that they are spending money that they aren't authorized to spend.

I am not sure why that machine can be accessed by a card with no charging ability, that makes no sense at all, but it can be.

Set the rules up front and define the consequences if the rules aren't followed. We never took charging privileges away from our son's sea pass account. We bought him a soda card at the beginning of the cruise, allowed one "treat" to be charged a day, a visit to Ben and Jerry's or a virgin pina colada, etc. If he wanted something else, he would ask first. He knew if he spent money he shouldn't have, he needed to reimburse us. We checked his account each night on the tv, as we did our own, and he always followed the rules. It was a good lesson in responsibility. Now, if my son was like my nephew, I would have locked his card down and checked hourly.:eek::p

When you check in you will be asked! You will do it prior to check in, than they will ask you at check in. No need to go a third time. I am sure, the "announcement" is made because of multiple issues and complaints.

Thank you for posting. Now that I'm aware, I'll make sure to check with them if they don't ask. I didn't think I needed to go to the GS if I have already declined charging for them, but when I saw the Teen Compass someone posted, it made me nervous and confused.

I appreciate everyone's replies. :)

Just to clarify, the kids can not just walk into the arcade, stick their sea pass card into a machine and play a game. They first have to go to a machine, that is usually in the hallway leading into the arcade on the ships that we have been on, and load money onto their sea pass card to play with in the arcade. Your kids sound savvy enough to know, if you have to say how much you are loading onto the card, that they are spending money that they aren't authorized to spend.

I am not sure why that machine can be accessed by a card with no charging ability, that makes no sense at all, but it can be.

Set the rules up front and define the consequences if the rules aren't followed. We never took charging privileges away from our son's sea pass account. We bought him a soda card at the beginning of the cruise, allowed one "treat" to be charged a day, a visit to Ben and Jerry's or a virgin pina colada, etc. If he wanted something else, he would ask first. He knew if he spent money he shouldn't have, he needed to reimburse us. We checked his account each night on the tv, as we did our own, and he always followed the rules. It was a good lesson in responsibility. Now, if my son was like my nephew, I would have locked his card down and checked hourly.:eek::p

Thank you for clarifying. I didn't realize that they had to load the funds first. I guess in this case, they are not intentionally deceiving them. However, I can see how some children may try to see if they can get credits to play (I have a nephew like yours...lol) even though they know they have no charging on their account and find themselves in trouble.

I still believe that if child has no charging permitted on their SeaPass, then the only way to change it is for the parents/guardians (the one who is taking responsibility for their charges) to change it. That way, if their child overspends, they can't get upset about it.