Ft. Lauderdale pier pick-up question

warmwinds

Can someone pick us up right where we will emerge with our bags after the cruise (where the taxis usually are?). Will it be a problem for them to get past any security (we've always taken taxis so never paid attention)? If they cannot come right in to where we will be, where should we go to meet them? Long walk with lots of luggage?

After you finally get through customs, the taxis are right outside of the terminal to the left. No problems. The only wait you might have is inside for customs. Hint - it might take you a little less time if you get your porter right away and let him take you through. They had a separate line for porters in March and it made things much easier. They took you thru the line and right out to the cabs. It was worth the tip. Only one problem was that there weren't enought porters.

I second PatC's recommendation. Get a porter. We use a private transportation service in Ft. Lauderdale (have for the past couple of years). We get a porter to assist with our luggage immediately and then our driver is outside waiting for us. He leads us (along with the porter and luggage) over to his van for loading. It's a little bit of a walk but we're not stuggling with the luggage.

Warm ~ no they cannot....I guess I didn't explain our pick up very well.....what we did would be considered the same thing as a friend coming to pick you up. The vehicles that picked us up could not get to where the taxis were. We got a porter to handle our luggage and our driver met us at the door. He then walked us and the porter to his vehicle where we loaded. So, no, our driver could not drive up to the door where the taxis wre

It's been a year so I'm not sure exactly how they are handling things at this point in time. I'd suggest also posting this on the United States Ports of Call board where someone who has been there recently might respond. Celebrity doesn't have much out of South Florida in the summer so you may get more responses on the Ports of Call board.

Hi, We just took a Celebrity cruise in April that ended in Fort Lauderdale. My sister picked us up. We had a porter help with our bags and we told him someone was coming for us, so he just walked a way down the sidewalk and said she could meet us there. She had no problem driving into the port, all you need is to have a photo id to show at the gate, and then the gate guard advises which pier to go to. There isn't anywhere to park, so if you can, call your friend by cell phone when you are ready to get off the ship, so your friend can just pull up and collect you.

There isn't anywhere to park, so if you can, call your friend by cell phone when you are ready to get off the ship, so your friend can just pull up and collect you.

Not that I only want to believe the answer I want to hear, but I sure hope you are right. If there is a problem we'll contact each other by cell phone and figure out an alternate place. Thanks everyone.

Archived