Hop On Hop Off Bus Athens

Larainerenee

There are (at least) two ho-ho operators. They both offer one route from Piraeus dock to Athens (Acropolis or Syntagma Square or both), and another route around the city centre.

Very vaguely €18 to 20 at the port for both routes. Or around €12 for just the city centre route (which of course is aimed at non-cruisers).

The transfer between Piraeus & Athens alone was cheaper than ship's transfers, and more flexible because you just hop on a return ho-ho any time you like. Consequently the city route was effectively a freebie. But other than the chance to relax with the wind in your hair, the city route was pretty uninteresting - mebbe OK for a round-trip but the major sights are reasonably walkable & no need to hang around at bus stops.

That was before the X80 Express shuttle service started - way better value for just the port to city transfer, at about €4 all-day.

The X80 is what we'd use on a future visit.

And because of the walk (20 minutes?) from port to the nearest metro station, I think those who've used the metro in the past will also switch to the X80.

JB :)

That was before the X80 Express shuttle service started - way better value for just the port to city transfer, at about €4 all-day.

The X80 is what we'd use on a future visit.

And because of the walk (20 minutes?) from port to the nearest metro station, I think those who've used the metro in the past will also switch to the X80.

I certainly would use the X80 IF it's running (this year they shut it down during the off-season and as of now I don't know that it's certain it will resume...).

Also, if it is important to get to the Acropolis first thing (before all the rest of the cruise tours and tourists arrive), I'd just get into the closest taxi and have them take me to the Acropolis. It's about 20 euros and a 20-30 minute ride early in the a.m.

IF

I am researching this myself.

Viator lists a hop on hop off tour with a lot of good stops.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Athens/Athens-Shore-Excursion-Athens-Hop-on-Hop-off-Tour/d496-2916ATHENSPRT

Athens and Piraeus hop-on hop-off tour stops:

Akti Miaouli Terminal

Lions Gate

Archaeological Museum of Piraeus

Mikrolimano Harbour

The Planetarium

Marriott & Intercontinental Hotels

Temple of Zeus

National Gardens

Syntagma Square

Melina Merkouri, Plaka

Intercontinental & Marriott Hotels

The Planetarium

The Munincipal Theatre

I am mostly interested in just seeing the Acroplis and the Temple of Hephaestus which are stops on this tour. Also its only $25 which seems like a good deal.

I'm a bit confused though about the port route vs. city route. I only see one route listed on Viator? Unless the previous poster is talking about a different tour operator.

ETA: never mind I found this hop on hop off tour with the Red and Blue Routes.

My only concerns with these types of tours is actually getting back to the ship in time. It looks like the entire loop takes about 2 1/2 hours. It begins at 8:30 with 30 minute intervals for stops...and with the ship leaving at 5. It really only gives you a couple of hours to truly look around. I'll have to think about whether I want to do this or a shore excursion.

http://www.citysightseeing.gr/red-route/tour-map/red-route

Edited by ladybird77

Not great phraseology on the Viator website, Ladybird.

And altho it's been a few years since I last visited, Viator's price doesn't look to be doing you any favours. If you want to take the ho-ho, I'd suggest you don't pre-book - just pay at the stop, no advance commitment if you want to change your mind & I don't see it being any more expensive on-the-day.

As to time, go to the Acropolis first. That's ahead of the worst of the crowds & the worst of the heat - in the middle of summer it's actually closed on particularly hot afternoons.

A lot of the sights are easily walkable, so no need to use the ho-ho each time. That does involve a lot of time waiting at stops & sat in traffic.

But you'll still have to skip a lot - I suggest you concentrate on the Acropolis, Temple of Hephaestus & the nearby Agora district, then mebbe meander on foot through The Plaka to Hadrian's Arch & the Temple of Zeus before deciding what else you can fit in.

We have done the red HOHO bus (check city hypen sightseeing website) from Piraeus, did the entire circuit twice, hopped off at the Acropolis and were back at the ship in plenty of time. We were on the 1st bus that left right after we docked. There is also a similar yellow bus but we get a discount for the red bus so we took that. When you leave the terminal, just go to your left about half a block and both buses will be there so you can check each of their maps. Loved the tour! and recommend it for a 1st time visitor.

John Bull--- great info!!! We're act doing a land tour for 7 days before our tour so will be doing Acropolis in Athens and the Parthenon. We have 1 day between land tour and cruise. Thought about spending time in Planka neighborhood and seeing Temple of Zeus. What else may go good with this?

Edited by Travel To Be Free

The Plaka district is pretty close to the National Gardens. If you are able bodied, walking from Plaka to Temple of Zeus, National Gardens and ending at Syntagma Square would be a nice walk, and there are plenty of places to stop and people watch. I hope this link works for you, if not, just google tourist map of Athens.

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/44_athensattractions.jpg

The Plaka district is pretty close to the National Gardens. If you are able bodied, walking from Plaka to Temple of Zeus, National Gardens and ending at Syntagma Square would be a nice walk, and there are plenty of places to stop and people watch. I hope this link works for you, if not, just google tourist map of Athens.

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/44_athensattractions.jpg

Or if you're feeling energetic, from Hadrian's Arch / Temple of Zeus continue to the Panathenaic Stadium before cutting diagonally thro the National Gardens to Syntagma Square