How far in advance do you book?

bluejay555

As a rule, do prices just keep going down the closer it gets to sail date? We have always booked far in advance but 2 summers ago, waited and booked just a few weeks in advance and got an amazing deal. Then last summer I was gonna wait it out again, but got nervous because we wanted a cove balcony and I was afraid they'd sell out. Now I'm wondering again.... do I wait until the last minute, or book soon for an early June cruise? (I've never done early saver and don't know much about it)

Since they eliminated the Future Cruise Certificuts, we book next year's January cruise while on our January cruise in order to get the OBC. So it's about a year in advance. We book Military on the ship and when we get home switch it to Early Saver. Then just keep watching for price drops.

Edited by Sparky2

• 2 weeks later...
From my experience, 11 cruises, only booked one more than 6 weeks before departure. The early saver pricings are often times a bunch of bunk. Not sure how all the lines do this, but a friend got taken advantage of by Holland. You see, sometimes, juggling of the prices to avoid upgrades. I am sure Holland is not alone.

I live in Florida, so I can be more flexible than folks who live in other parts of the country, who depend upon airfare as part of the cost of the cruise. Saying that, if you are not traveling during a peak time, myself, I do not do the advance booking. I have found the best deals are 6 weeks or less before the sail date, unless you have your heart set on a particular ship/itinerary.

I am flexible, with usually 3 or 4 in mind. If my number one choice is not the price I want, I will shift to a different one. Most usually, my number one choice is the one that I end up with, and for the price I want.

My last 2 cruises I booked within 17 days of departure, and the prices were remarkable. One of them I had to fly to, so being that it was in an off peak time, even the airfare and hotel were amazing.

So, it all depends upon your flexibility, time of year and geographical locations in relation to where the ship is leaving from.

Just my feelings from what I have seen on booking time-line and prices.

This is exactly what I was thinking! Thank you! I have to admit it is a little nerve wracking waiting to the last minute to book. We got our airfare when it was cheap now just waiting for the cruise prices to come down! I don't think we will book onboard for OBC. I feel we will wait and get a much better deal.